Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Wikiposts

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:39 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

I looked this up, because I remembered kindergarten wasn't compulsary where we lived in TX in the 1990s. At the public school where the kindergarten was located, when I registered my kids for kindergarten, I was told it wasn't compulsary. (It WAS free, for half a day.) Only first grade was compulsary, then to continue afterwards till age 18, I was told.

So if public kindergarten isn't compulsary in the States, perhaps those offering it can check what criteria they like, such as immigration status?

Here's a chart I found showing ages of compulsary schooling in the USA. Compulsary school attendance seems to start a few years later (in most states at ages 6 or 7) than in the UK.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d...s/dt11_175.asp
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

More to the point, a birth certificate or passport is proof of the child's birthdate and age.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
Asking about birthcert/passport is their way of getting out of asking your immigration status.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:35 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
All children have to attend school. Period. That is right, legal, and compulsory, as far as I know. It's what public schools do.

Surely nobody has any other experience?
If you live on the border and send your kids to school in the US though...
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity I looked up the student enrollment form for my school district. It does not ask for immigration status or country of citizenship. It does ask for:
- country of birth
- US entry date
- total years living in the US
- total years living in the state

Regards, JEff
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

WEBlue maybe you have a point about K not being compulsary in some states and maybe then they are allowed to ask etc. Or, they are/were asking despite not being allowed to.

I'll come back on May 7 and let you know what happens when I try to register my child with her UK birth cert!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
WEBlue maybe you have a point about K not being compulsary in some states and maybe then they are allowed to ask etc. Or, they are/were asking despite not being allowed to.
Even if they aren't allowed, what are you going to do?

Sue them? Because that'll be quick and cheap.

If you're illegal, you'll also want to stay under the radar and they know this.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We had to get a declaration of domicile to avoid a hefty registration fee. It was pretty simple, we went to the town hall, husband swore on a bible, they gave us an authorised piece of paper....we then didn't have to pay fee. We didn't show the passports just the birth certificates and the rental contract for our house. However for pre-k at the same school the requirements were stricter and we had to show 2 bills too, so my son didn't start for a further 2 weeks as we had just moved in and had to wait for the bills to arrive.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I've had dealings with multiple schools in the past 15 years and have never been asked about immigration status. As someone else said, a public school asking for a birth cert or passport is just an attempt to verify date of birth. Don't read anything more into it than that. If you're here legally, this is a complete non-issue anyway.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I've had dealings with multiple schools in the past 15 years and have never been asked about immigration status. As someone else said, a public school asking for a birth cert or passport is just an attempt to verify date of birth. Don't read anything more into it than that. If you're here legally, this is a complete non-issue anyway.
That would be the case, except for the fact they would only accept a US issued birth cert or passport, in our kindergarten registration.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

So this is a non-issue for most of us as we are not illegal immigrants. But if anyone is and is reading this, schools are not supposed to ask for immigration status! It's the law! Try reminding them about that.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

When has the law ever stopped discrimination though?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That would be the case, except for the fact they would only accept a US issued birth cert or passport, in our kindergarten registration.
Was this part of the public school system? Or something else?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slummymummy
So this is a non-issue for most of us as we are not illegal immigrants. But if anyone is and is reading this, schools are not supposed to ask for immigration status! It's the law! Try reminding them about that.
Has a school asked you about your immigration status?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My school not only didn't ask for my immigration status, it handed me a piece of paper as part of the registration pack roughly saying 'We're not allowed to ask your immigration status! If any member of staff tries to do this, don't answer AND let us know! It's not allowed!'

This is probably because it's a hot topic in Republican Arizona, and there probably would be well-meaning/ discriminatory govt employees who thought it was their responsibility to check.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Was this part of the public school system? Or something else?
I've mentioned it previously, that my experience has been in registering our kid into public, kindergarten.

Run by the town, to get into the free, half day program.

There are loads of private, all day kindergarten programs around, but have no experience of those.

I guess a valid reason for wanting to see "US" ID would be because there's a massive Brazilian population around here and faking a Brazilian birthcert/passport is fairly trivial in comparison. That and the schools probably don't have the resources to get a translator in every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.