Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Wikiposts

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

1. Some people might feel bad for those (innocent) kids?

2. Those kids might turn to crime etc if they have nothing to do all day?

3. It's better to have educated illegal immigrants than uneducated ones?

I made these points up but there must be some thinking behind why schools are not supposed to ask for immigration status.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

None of those issues are relevant to checking status.

It arose from Feds interfering in State issues. There is no logic.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we were asked for nationality and languages etc- but nothing ever about status - and i've 1 in KG and another in 3rd in Ohio.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
None of those issues are relevant to checking status.

It arose from Feds interfering in State issues. There is no logic.
I'll take the 11th circuit's opinion on this over your's any day.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'll take the 11th circuit's opinion on this over your's any day.
There are many ways the Feds control local issues. The cynical may see it that local politicians prefer to get the Feds to raise taxes which they then 'give' back to the State with of course conditions.

When I came over I would hear all the time how wonderful the US system was. Now, well no.

I have heard far too many nasty stories about the legal system, there seems to have been a major disconnect between what is right and what is legal.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
This subject came up in another thread. (My oldest is starting Kindergarten this August and as I'm very curious about anything to do with school, I had to google a little...) According to what I found, it seems that in MA (and other states), schools are not allowed to ask about someone's immigration status.
They're not allowed to deny education because of Plyler v. Doe however USCIS does set requirements for aliens who want to attend public school in the US. It's also not clear that it's illegal to ask about their status, which is why Alabama enacted a law requiring schools to ask.

An alien who wants to attend public school in the US has to go to a school that is registered with SEVIS and is only allowed to attend for up to one year of high school, according to ICE. Pretty much unenforceable though, I would think. This comes up quite often with Canadians and Mexicans.

Also one of the reasons that F-3 status was invented a few years ago, for students resident in Canada and Mexico, although that's mainly for college students.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's also not clear that it's illegal to ask about their status, which is why Alabama enacted a law requiring schools to ask.
Unless Alabama appeals the 11th circuit's decision to the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court agrees to hear it and then subsequently rules in favour of the Alabama law, then it's very clear it's illegal. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Alabama will appeal.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
..... It's also not clear that it's illegal to ask about their status, which is why Alabama enacted a law requiring schools to ask. .....
They can ask, but they likely can't force you to answer, like the law requiring employers to report their employees' ethnicity for federal monitoring purposes. The law requires employers to ask each employee what their ethnicity is, but (i) cannot force the employee to answer, nor (ii) can they challenge an obviously wrong response.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Just a quick update on this... I called the local school today to find out when we should register. Registration has not started yet! It starts from May 7 when the Kindergarten Roundup (tour etc) is. The lady on the phone told me we need proof of address, birth cert or passport, and the vaccination and doctors forms. No mention of immigration status so far! Even though they might try to catch us out by mentioning passport? I will bring the UK birth cert but also have her US passport in my back pocket if needed...
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on this... I called the local school today to find out when we should register. Registration has not started yet! It starts from May 7 when the Kindergarten Roundup (tour etc) is. The lady on the phone told me we need proof of address, birth cert or passport, and the vaccination and doctors forms. No mention of immigration status so far! Even though they might try to catch us out by mentioning passport? I will bring the UK birth cert but also have her US passport in my back pocket if needed...
Well that was handy you haven't missed anything.
Ours starts early as we are out for summer June 12th this year. and only get 6 weeks off, so back in July.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else been asked about their immigration status by their kids school? I meant to say that the subject came up in another thread and one poster said that he was asked if the child was USC or had a visa, otherwise they would have to pay for school.
That was me, in my town. They didn't directly ask to see immigration status, but as this is kindergarten, if you want to get in free, on the town, you have to prove your status as well being a resident of the town.

You are free to attend without showing anything but town residence, but you'd have to pay.

Other wise, half day is free and it's $4K to go full day. No idea what they would charge if you didn't show status though.

I've also no idea about proper school. Thing is, there are plenty of private kindergartens in town as well.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Asking about birthcert/passport is their way of getting out of asking your immigration status.

The way it was worded for us was, looking for proof that the child was ours/under our guardianship and who we said the child was.

It then said if no US passport of birthcert was available, they would accept a list that included, which went on to list all the visas, excluding B1/2 and VWP stating that it had to be US issued ID for verification purposes as they couldn't verify a foreign passport/birth cert.

So they don't ask you directly, but they want to know you're legal, for the town to pay kindergarten, as there aren't many spots available.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:30 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?

All children have to attend school. Period. That is right, legal, and compulsory, as far as I know. It's what public schools do.

Surely nobody has any other experience?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:52 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Eh?

All children have to attend school. Period. That is right, legal, and compulsory, as far as I know. It's what public schools do.

Surely nobody has any other experience?
Kindergarten (as Bob spoke about above) is not compulsary in all states...or does it vary by municipality? So in those areas without compulsary kindergarten, perhaps the school can exercise discretion as far as enrollment goes?

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 19th 2013 at 3:05 am. Reason: Wondering about this...
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Kindergarten (as Bob spoke about above) is not compulsary in all states...or does it vary by municipality? So in those areas without compulsary kindergarten, perhaps the school can exercise discretion as far as enrollment goes?
Well they're not being denied access. They're just being priced out of it. In my town at least.

Then again, there aren't many all day spots available anyway and even fewer spots that get paid for for low income families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.