Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Wikiposts

Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

This subject came up in another thread. (My oldest is starting Kindergarten this August and as I'm very curious about anything to do with school, I had to google a little...) According to what I found, it seems that in MA (and other states), schools are not allowed to ask about someone's immigration status.

"Can noncitizens attend public schools?

Noncitizens, including undocumented immigrants, can attend Massachusetts public schools. All children have the right to attend public schools and receive special education and other public school services regardless of the immigration status of the child or the child's family members.

No one in the school may ask about the child's or family's immigration status. Some school forms may ask for a Social Security number, but parents and students are not required to give this information."

http://www.massresources.org/public-...igibility.html

On our registration form it asks for where the child was born (the UK), when the child moved to the US (2 years ago) and if any other languages are spoken at home (swedish). I wonder if anyone will try to ask us about our immigration status. If they do will I politely but firmly tell them it's none of their business or will I be worried about upsetting the school administration and show them her US passport? I'd like to say the former but don't know if I would have the guts. Principles are for internet forums not for real life...
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Schools are not equipped to deal with immigration issues. If a kid turns up, they should educate it, not question where it came from.

That is what border control is for. Oh. wait.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Has anyone else been asked about their immigration status by their kids school? I meant to say that the subject came up in another thread and one poster said that he was asked if the child was USC or had a visa, otherwise they would have to pay for school.

I didn't necessarily mean to discuss if this is right or not, I just wanted to know what the rules/laws are at the moment.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Has anyone else been asked about their immigration status by their kids school? ....
No, never, not in any way, shape or form.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Schools are not allowed to ask for immigration status

Has anyone else been asked about their immigration status by their kids?
I'll let you, my son is 5 and chances are, they will pester him particularly because of his Scottish accent, and many other things.

one poster said that he was asked if the child was USC or had a visa, otherwise they would have to pay for school.
I thought the public schools are 'free' for all in the US?

I understand that they ask for some 'favors' from time to time because of funding issues but you are not obliged to pay, right? At home, I'll tell them to piss off as they have a responsibility to make better use of my taxes and fulfill their obligations rather bank rolling the economy buster numb nuts at home and around the world, but I'm not sure if I would do that in the US as from what I've heard they are most likely to discriminate the children of 'rebels'.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by McZaki
I'll let you, my son is 5 and chances are, they will pester him particularly because of his Scottish accent, and many other things.

I thought the public schools are 'free' for all in the US?

I understand that they ask for some 'favors' from time to time because of funding issues but you are not obliged to pay, right? At home, I'll tell them to piss off as they have a responsibility to make better use of my taxes and fulfill their obligations rather bank rolling the economy buster numb nuts at home and around the world, but I'm not sure if I would do that in the US as from what I've heard they are most likely to discriminate the children of 'rebels'.
Something that needs to be included in CIR.

Student visa holders do not get free state education.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:14 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler

Student visa holders do not get free state education.
Basically public schools cannot ask immigration status without possibly losing federal funding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/ed...mmig.html?_r=0
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yep
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else been asked about their immigration status by their kids school? I meant to say that the subject came up in another thread and one poster said that he was asked if the child was USC or had a visa, otherwise they would have to pay for school.

I didn't necessarily mean to discuss if this is right or not, I just wanted to know what the rules/laws are at the moment.
Yes...I posted such in the other thread. It was 17 years ago and it was a private school. Had we refused...then maybe my daughter would not have gained a place at the school.

I seem to remember several years ago a law was passed that all illegal immigrant children should be allowed to go to school. Otherwise we would have a large group immigrants who were uneducated. The other reason given was that it wasn't the child's fault that he/she were in the US illegally. I can't remember if it was Federal law or not.

Non USC teachers also had to produce their GC/visas each year to renew their contract.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting link Drew.Dean. So since 1982 all children regardless of immigration status has the right to go to school.

What this means for us is that there could be "undocumented children" in my daughters class-to-be. Not that I mind, I agree that it's not their fault that they're here and it would be worse for everyone I think if they were not in school.

Have not registered yet, will probably do next month, will report back if anything interesting comes up!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:45 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly sure we were asked at the first private school my daughter went to in LA, but not at the second, and we have never been asked at the public school in the Bay Area.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

On our registration form it asks for where the child was born (the UK), when the child moved to the US (2 years ago) and if any other languages are spoken at home (swedish). I wonder if anyone will try to ask us about our immigration status. If they do will I politely but firmly tell them it's none of their business or will I be worried about upsetting the school administration and show them her US passport? I'd like to say the former but don't know if I would have the guts. Principles are for internet forums not for real life...
Just a question, not a judgement, but does it really matter if they ask or not? If you're legit, what's the problem?

FWIW DS's Kindergarten starting in September doesn't ask the question, at least not that I've noticed. Language is definitely asked everywhere here, probably because there is a reasonably high percentage of people who don't speak English at all.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Just a question, not a judgement, but does it really matter if they ask or not? If you're legit, what's the problem? .......
The question is a spin off from the wording of B2 visas, which reportedly state, or imply, that you can't attend school on that class of visa. This is clearly in conflict with the federal requirement for children to be engaged in full time education until age 16. Hence the question as to whether it is possible for children to be in the country legally but not admissible to the public education system, and whether there is any sort of gatekeeper process that would even identify non-citizens on supposedly non-conforming visas, or not here legally?

IMO the requirement for children resident in the US to be engaged in full time education is absolute, and not curtailed by other laws, and the SCOTUS ruled, in 1982 if I remember correctly, that even children not in the country legally must be admitted to the public education system.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 16th 2013 at 5:01 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting link Drew.Dean. So since 1982 all children regardless of immigration status has the right to go to school.

What this means for us is that there could be "undocumented children" in my daughters class-to-be. Not that I mind, I agree that it's not their fault that they're here and it would be worse for everyone I think if they were not in school.

Have not registered yet, will probably do next month, will report back if anything interesting comes up!
Register your children for next year as soon as registration is possible. In my last place, a new owner purchased my home 6 months before they were moving in because they wanted to register their children in the school district as soon as possible after registration started. Since the schools I my area map are ranked 10 out of 10 and can only handle a limited number of children, late registration can possibly cause a child to be placed in one of the other schools in the district with a lower ranking.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

I asked partly because it came up in another thread (a family who were considering staying on B-2 visas), but it was mostly out of general interest and curiousity. Yes we are legit but I would rather not be asked if they're not supposed to!

Michael - thanks for your concern but around here everyone gets a place in the local school. They haven't even had their school tours etc so doesn't seem to be any rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.