Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools - moving to New York with 3 children

Schools - moving to New York with 3 children

Old Feb 19th 2016, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Muswellmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools - moving to New York with 3 children

I am moving to New York from Singapore with 3 children ages 8,11 and 13 - and don't know where to start with looking at schools. They are currently at international school in Singapore. Any help appreciated!
Old Feb 19th 2016, 9:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - moving to New York with 3 children

Start with our WIKI

Education: What do I need to enroll the kids in school? : British Expat Wiki

Note: if you are looking at government schools than location, location, location. It all comes down to where you live (even what side of the street). If private then you can look through a number of guides to private schools that exist online.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you - I have had a read. We will prob go down the private route I wondered if anyone could recommend any good ones?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 1:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswellmum
Thank you - I have had a read. We will prob go down the private route I wondered if anyone could recommend any good ones?
What area do you anticipate living in? Do you mean New York City or somewhere in New York State?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

I don't know - I was going to be directed by where the schools are so long as it's a reasonable commute for my husband who will be in the financial district.
I have to admit to never having been to the U.S. and its abit far from Singapore for a look see. So need all the help I can get 😣
Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know - I was going to be directed by where the schools are so long as it's a reasonable commute for my husband who will be in the financial district.
I have to admit to never having been to the U.S. and its abit far from Singapore for a look see. So need all the help I can get 😣
Right, he's working in downtown Manhattan then. Likelihood is his commute is going to be an hour at least from nice places to live. It's also going to be expensive to find somewhere for 3 kids. To be honest I would ask his work to set up a corporate housing solution because finding places to live in NYC can be cut throat and fast moving, much easier to be there and see for yourself.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Then your options, besides Manhattan itself, are going to include Brooklyn, lower Westchester County, lower Fairfield County in Connecticut, and New Jersey. I always suggest contacting colleagues at the new office to find where those with a similar budget and similar family situations live.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at Englishmum's posts and threads...she has posted extensively about schools in the Millburn/Summit area of NJ. Her husband worked in Manhattan...therefore she discusses commute into NYC. It's approx 30/45 cummute to open Station from there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/englishmum-1486/

I lived in Mendham...Nr Morristown, NJ...60 min commute by rail to NYC. My daughter attended private school...Peck School in Morriston and The Pingry School in Martinsville. Private schools are very expensive. If you want your children to go to state schools...that will depend on where you live. The more expensive the area...the better the schools.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Then your options, besides Manhattan itself, are going to include Brooklyn, lower Westchester County, lower Fairfield County in Connecticut, and New Jersey. I always suggest contacting colleagues at the new office to find where those with a similar budget and similar family situations live.
If it's lower Manhattan, I'd say avoid Metro-North land (Westchester/Fairfield counties). My office moved to the WTC last year, and even working 50% from home taking the train to GCT and then the hell that is the 4/5 train is killing me.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Hi all thank you so much for your advice - I will have a look at the areas suggested on the map and do abit of research. I looked at private school prices and they really are astronomical a third higher than in the UK and nearly double Singapore. I wonder are they really worth the money?!
Old Feb 20th 2016, 11:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all thank you so much for your advice - I will have a look at the areas suggested on the map and do abit of research. I looked at private school prices and they really are astronomical a third higher than in the UK and nearly double Singapore. I wonder are they really worth the money?!
Yes, but only if you have that sort of money. Like some other things in NYC, the very best costs serious money. ..... There is a reason why I quit my job in Manhattan and headed south.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2016 at 12:20 am.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter went private school in Cheshire before we moved to NJ. I soon realized that people who sent their children to private school in NJ were very different from the Cheshire families. In the UK many mums worked to send their kids to private school. Donations for a fundraiser prize in the UK was usually a £20 bottle of wine or a box of Thornton choccies. In the US the majority were old money families...household names/political etc. Fundraisers were Carribean holidays etc. I kid you not.

The parents of children who attended our local schools usually paid tens of thousand of dollars a year in property taxes. Property taxes more or less fund local schools. Therefore most of the families who lived there sent their kids to local schools.

Are local schools better than private...I have mixed feelings.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 21st 2016 at 8:19 am.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, but only if you have that sort of money. Like some other things in NYC, the very best costs serious money. ..... There is a reason why I quit my job in Manhattan and headed south.
It's not just the school fees it's the add on....donations...custom made school uniform etc. The latter I could not believe. A company came to the school to measure the kids for custom made uniforms. There was no getting away with buying a similar skirt/blouse from Bloomies.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Oh no it sounds like abit of a nightmare! Maybe we should try to stay in Singapore?
What about the public schools? Is there a good one that anyone would recommend? Someone here has mentioned Bronxville high school but as I will have a junior middle and high school it could get complicated!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Also does anyone have a view on the United nations school?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.