British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   schools in Los Angeles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/schools-los-angeles-718717/)

domehead May 28th 2011 11:54 am

schools in Los Angeles

We are looking to relocate from Australia to Los Angeles in January 2012. We have 3 children, who will then be going into years 3,8 and 9 here in Australia. As the school year is different in L.A. I was wondering if anyone can advise what years I would be looking at there. Also, what year is the start of High School?

penguinsix May 28th 2011 1:06 pm

Re: schools in Los Angeles

Depends. Time in grade is one consideration, but your kids emotional and physical development will also be considered. Being the smallest and youngest in a class year is something they will try to avoid. Also, is your move permanent?

Take a look here.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

9th grade is usually the start of high school (Freshman year).

S Folinsky May 28th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by domehead (Post 9393341)
We are looking to relocate from Australia to Los Angeles in January 2012. We have 3 children, who will then be going into years 3,8 and 9 here in Australia. As the school year is different in L.A. I was wondering if anyone can advise what years I would be looking at there. Also, what year is the start of High School?

The school year is generally September to end of May or beginning of June. We are in the height of graduation season as we speak. [One adult daughter did her walk last Monday for her masters and older one did her walk for her PhD last June. Free at last ...! But I digress]. The term "K-12" is often used for primary education. "High School" is generally 9-12 and ends generally at age 18.

In looking into things, it pays to remember that public education in the US is primarily a local function -- it is difficult to talk about the "United States."

domehead May 28th 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks. I'm not looking to compare the 2 systems, although we're probably only moving for a year. I have no qualms about repeating years if that is for the best- youngest did kindy in Sydney twice. I'm more concerned about the difference between Aussie high school and American Junior High- would a child already a year into high school find it hard to go back, or is it just so different he wouldn't compare?

Sally Redux May 28th 2011 3:13 pm

Do you know where you will be moving to? LA is very big and some cities in LA county have their own school districts outside the LA Unified School District.

As a general guide, the kids would start middle school (junior high) at the age of 11 and do three years there before moving to high school for a further 4 years.

The State of California is in the middle of a budget crisis just so you know.

S Folinsky May 28th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9393649)
Do you know where you will be moving to? LA is very big and some cities in LA county have their own school districts outside the LA Unified School District.

As a general guide, the kids would start middle school (junior high) at the age of 11 and do three years there before moving to high school for a further 4 years.

The State of California is in the middle of a budget crisis just so you know.

To add -- back in the day, it was common to have K-8 as "elementary" and 9-12 as "high school." When I grew up, I was in "LA Unified" and it was K-6 [elementary], 7-9 [junior high] and 10-12 [high school]. The grades in 9th grade counted towards GPA on college admission. When my kids were in LAUSD, the "middle school" concept came in and was either 6-8 or 7-8. Some elementary schools were K-6 and others became K-5.

ian-mstm May 28th 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by domehead (Post 9393341)
We are looking to relocate from Australia to Los Angeles in January 2012.

Do you know which visa you'll have?

Ian