Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

schooling texas

schooling texas

Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:03 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schooling texas

Originally Posted by lisajdubai

ukintexas my husband works in security
Ha - that's a funny coincidence - is it your husbands' job that's bringing you here or yours? If it's his - where does he work?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:04 am
Just Joined

lisajdubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: schooling texas

Its his job,im a full time cook,cleaner,chid carer,dog walker,taxi, ( stay at home mum ), we are still waiting to find out from his work if the move is going ahead at the mo its 75% yes we are going, so my head is spinning

he works for Olive
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Elissa Shadley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello~ you should be clear about what kind of school you want to choose for your son, public or private one.
Additionally, does the school rank important for you when you make a decision? In view of the age of your son, you had better take the distance into consideration. He is too young to go to a faraway school. Do you think so?
The Cinco Ranch High School may be a good choice for you!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

If you can get your 7 year old into Cinco Ranch High School then I'd be very impressed....

We lived in Cinco for a year before buying in a neighbourhood just north of Cinco. As others have said, look for the 4 star exemplary Elementaries and try and get the ones that feed into the best Junior Highs and Highs (although those may have changed by the time you get there).

We did a visit a few months before the move and the missus went and talked to the heads of several schools. I know she was impressed with Williams but that is in a slightly older (it's all relative) part of Cinco. It seems that the District is pumping it's resources into the western newer parts as the older parts of Cinco now have older kids in general.

Ours went to Kilpatrick for one year and then Woodcreek. We were impressed with both although the schooling takes a bit of getting used to here. Although Cinco is an excellent community with fantastic facilities - it is worth looking at some of the other neighbourhoods. Some people fall in love with Cross Creek which is further south (good if you need a Westpark Tollway commute) or Firethorne which is further north - nearer I-10 but a bit further west.

Good luck...
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Ooh - one more thing - be careful when buying/renting in the newer areas and check out if new schools are being built in the area. You might find your house gets rezoned to the new school once it's completed which isn't the end of the world but can be a bit tumultuous given they have just been moved once. Rezoning can affect any area but is obviously much more likely in the newer areas.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

US public school districts are funded by federal, state, and local taxes property taxes). If you are a renter, you don't pay property taxes directly since this is the responsibility of the landlord. If you are a homeowner, landlord, or business owner, annual property taxes are usually accessed as a percentage of the value of the property.

Although federal and state funds generally pay more per student for a less affluent school district than a more affluent school district, property tax revenues in the more affluent school district can be significantly more than the less affluent school district possibly causing the more affluent school district to have total funding double or more per student than the poorest school district.

Therefore with a large amount of funding and the high motivation of students, affluent school districts tend to be ranked high. However even within an affluent school district, rankings can vary so it can be important to live at an address that is part of an area school within that district that you want you child to attend since your address determines the school that your children will attend.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

JMHO, Cypress is a lot nicer than Katy, and the schools are great. The Katy School District has has some negative press this year.

The big thing is WHERE if your husband working. If he's out near the airport, then a commute from Katy is horrendous. The Woodlands has great schools too, owing to its higher income bracket (taxes pay for schools here...)

Check out city-data for Houston, and folks have a lot of insight over there.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: schooling texas

Thanks for all your info,i have the summer hols to go thru all info on schools ,a lot of the schools mentioned are the ones i had shortlisted,tho will def take a look at the other areas mentioned ,i had Woodcreek and Williams on my list will check out Kilpatrick , We are hoping to go over in November to have a look,i liked Cinco Ranch as had plenty af amenities there but guess other areas have as well,
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Hi all,
thanks so much for all your info,ive been looking at Hamilton Elementary and Sampson Elementary in Cypress area anyone got kids there?, for my husbands work either Cinco Ranch,Woodlands or Cypress areas are fine,hes going over in August to have a look then we are both going over in November to hopefully get a house sorted,is it easy to rent a house as we would hopefully see something in Nov and rent from December as that is when we would move there,over here in Dubai getting things like electricity,water ,telephone etc connected is a NIGHTMARE,

Also are there expat groups in most areas to meet up with other women as dont know anyone ( like everyone else who moves over )

In Cypress area are there plenty of shops ( grocery and malls ) ,

lots of questions sorry
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:44 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Lisa

There are a few expat meet ups. One that meets monthly in Katy and another that meets each week about 20 mins away. Run by expat women so you'll get go meet lots of people that have gone through the process and can empathize as well as share practical info (who goes to what hairdressers etc). As for shops they are everywhere so wherever you chose you wont be more than a stones throw from being able to flex your credit cards!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisajdubai
...is it easy to rent a house as we would hopefully see something in Nov and rent from December as that is when we would move there,over here in Dubai getting things like electricity,water ,telephone etc connected is a NIGHTMARE,
I would say there's normally plenty of empty stuff to rent but with a short timeframe you may not get your pick of the bunch. When we looked, probably half were empty but the other half were occupied with approx a 1-2 month wait for availability. The empty ones can go quite quickly too so best not to fall in love with anything.

Utilities are a bit of a pain to get connected here - especially when you have no US credit history. You will probably have to put some chunky deposits down but hopefully the company would help out with that - if not you get them back after a year so it's no huge deal - just a hurdle. Definitely worth shopping around for electricity as the big names tend to be more expensive.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:02 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We are in kelliwood, which is next to Cinco Ranch. Cinco covers a huge area and some of the new developments are calling themselves Cinco as well and they are a good 20 mins drive from me. I like the area and it's a 25 (ish) min commute for hubby into Galleria in the morning, a bit longer on a night.
With regards to utilities, my hubby spoke to the utility companies very nicely about why should he have to pay a huge deposit just for being an expat - they let him get away without paying it, so it's worth a try!