Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schooling for 17 Year A-Level Student

Schooling for 17 Year A-Level Student

Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Schooling for 17 Year A-Level Student

I have been offered the chance to go to the US (Stamford, CT) for 18 months with my employer. I have an 8 year old and a 17 Year Old Daughter and I am trying to sort out education.

I have been told that areas like New Canaan, Darien and Greenwich have good public schools that are Free so Schooling for my 8 year old should not be an issue.

The other issue I have is that I also have a 17 year old doing A-Levels and I need to understand what options are available for her.

Any help / advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling for 17 Year A-Level Student

If she's in the middle of A levels maybe she could stay with relatives and finish them, and visit for the hoidays. I'd hate to mess up her A levels by moving her.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If she's in the middle of A levels maybe she could stay with relatives and finish them, and visit for the hoidays. I'd hate to mess up her A levels by moving her.
I think that will be the best option, particularly as this is only an 18-month assignment.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for leaving her in the UK. Education is so standardized ( ) these days, that it's hard to imagine a move not hurting her. If she's thinking of university, you may also want to investigate what a move would do for university fees - both in the UK and the US - depending on what her plans are.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:50 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in UK university admissions.

A US high school diploma is not as high a qualification as British A Levels. She would have to take Advanced Placement examinations in high school to have something equivalent to A Levels, and the availbility of these vary by school.

Tuition fees are generally set based on where the student had been living for the last three years before starting university. I don't know if living in the US for the last year and a half prior to studies would tip her over into international fees or not. If they did, that fee rating wouldd stick for her entire university career, not just the first year or anything like that.

Another vote for keeping her in the UK, unless she really really wants to go to the US, in which case she should have a talk with her preferred universities first to understand how it might affect her entry chances. On the other hand, if she is interested in going to university in the US she can probably get US rates if she's been living there for at least a year - but again, check with the relevant universities.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote here for her staying in the UK.

My mother did various 12 and 18-month stints in the US during my childhood. I went with her when I was young, but exactly like your daughter I chose to stay in the UK the year before my A-levels when she was in the US.

Sadly, it's just the wrong time in her education to take her out of the UK system.

The only alternative I can see is for her to come out with you for 12 months (not 18) and effectively take a year out of the UK system. Both my brother and sister did this at one stage, and they both benefited greatly from the experience of a different education system... but they both went back into the UK system a year behind their calendar age, so they didn't mess up their exams.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Tuition fees are generally set based on where the student had been living for the last three years before starting university. I don't know if living in the US for the last year and a half prior to studies would tip her over into international fees or not. If they did, that fee rating wouldd stick for her entire university career, not just the first year or anything like that.
It is supposed to be on ordinary residence, but it is not clear who would be able to challenge an unreasonable decision made by university.

Another vote for keeping her in the UK, unless she really really wants to go to the US, in which case she should have a talk with her preferred universities first to understand how it might affect her entry chances. On the other hand, if she is interested in going to university in the US she can probably get US rates if she's been living there for at least a year - but again, check with the relevant universities.
Also consider the chances of her getting a green card in the US, probably slim.

I thought the original poster wanted to go to Australia.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

I thought the original poster wanted to go to Australia.
Yes, seems a little strange

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...50#post8226550
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:34 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is supposed to be on ordinary residence, but it is not clear who would be able to challenge an unreasonable decision made by university.
Decisions at the uni I worked at were made by the head of admissions, who had a very clear set of criteria laid out by the UK government which he had to work within. Decisions were rarely overturned.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That is correct. But given my firm are offering me a short 18 month assignment to the US all expenses paid which I must add only surfaced during a recent business trip to the States is potentially too good an opportunity to miss, plus unlike Australia I don't have to quit my job to go.

Plus, the Aussie visa lasts for 5 years and I only need to be there for 2 to apply for Citizenship, so in theory we can do both
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by flanagaj
That is correct. But given my firm are offering me a short 18 month assignment to the US all expenses paid which I must add only surfaced during a recent business trip to the States is potentially too good an opportunity to miss, plus unlike Australia I don't have to quit my job to go.

Plus, the Aussie visa lasts for 5 years and I only need to be there for 2 to apply for Citizenship, so in theory we can do both
Sounds OK - but would your daughter want to go to US?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I used to work in UK university admissions.

A US high school diploma is not as high a qualification as British A Levels. She would have to take Advanced Placement examinations in high school to have something equivalent to A Levels, and the availbility of these vary by school.
Out of curiosity ...

Are you saying that regardless of which US high school the student attended and their grades their qualifications are never considered as high as British A Levels? Advanced Placement examinations in high school are used to earn university credit in the US.

Just wondering because certainly at least some US high schools have very demanding programs. Some of my high school friends went on to attend Harvard or other ivy leagues and are very accomplished today.

Off topic, so that's all I'll say about that ...
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Out of curiosity ...

Are you saying that regardless of which US high school the student attended and their grades their qualifications are never considered as high as British A Levels? Advanced Placement examinations in high school are used to earn university credit in the US.

Just wondering because certainly at least some US high schools have very demanding programs. Some of my high school friends went on to attend Harvard or other ivy leagues and are very accomplished today.

Off topic, so that's all I'll say about that ...
I would agree with you, especially as A-Levels have become easier now.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would agree with you, especially as A-Levels have become easier now.
Well, this article says the same:

"According to the British Council, A levels are similar to the American Advanced Placements[4] which are themselves equivalent to first year courses of America's four year bachelor degrees."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Advanced_Level

The issue seem to be a lack of a standardized test in the US to finish high school. Therefore a 4.0 at one school is very different from a 4.0 at another school. (This is VERY true by the way.)

This system seems to penalize US students who would want to earn degrees at British universities as not all US high schools have advanced placement classes and they are certainly not available for all subjects. (I took AP classes for English and French, for instance.)

Very interesting. I am positive that I could have been successful at a British university and that this is true of many American students. Would they have that chance though? Maybe not. I suspect that AP examinations are more difficult, at least in some cases, than A-levels but as there is no equivalent of an A-level in the US, that's what is used.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Well, this article says the same:

"According to the British Council, A levels are similar to the American Advanced Placements[4] which are themselves equivalent to first year courses of America's four year bachelor degrees."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Advanced_Level

The issue seem to be a lack of a standardized test in the US to finish high school. Therefore a 4.0 at one school is very different from a 4.0 at another school. (This is VERY true by the way.)
Yes, I think it comes down to this. From what I've seen, the honours classes at my son's school cover A-level work but the testing element may not be so rigorous. Then again, A-Levels now have a coursework element.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.