Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School Year Equivalent

Wikiposts

School Year Equivalent

Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Year Equivalent

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Oh FFS. That's ridiculous.
Mmmm, does seem a bit over the top but it's all about equality these days...
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewillico
Hi
My son is 8. He is in Year 3 in UK. Can anyone tell me the equivalent year in US. I'm not sure that 3rd grade is the same..? He will be 9 on 30 Sep 08 and will start school in Atlanta then. Dont want to put him behind or have him be bored by repeating what he's done....help!! Thanks
My daughter had already done year 1 in the UK when we arrived here, so we had to choose between her repeating (ie going into 1st grade) and keeping her with her age group, or putting her into 2nd grade but her being the youngest by a year or more.

We chose to keep her with her age group. She is way ahead of her classmates in math and english, but they are giving her extra work and she is in a special book group and she gets homework that's reasonably challenging. But she's not working as hard as she would be in the UK.

On the other hand I'm very happy with the school, she's really enjoying it all (including art, music and gym), and socially I think she's in the right place.

Mind you I think she'd have enjoyed going straight into 2nd grade too... she just would have been very very young for her year being a June birthday.

I'd talk to the potential schools and see what they say.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Depends on the area. Some schools 'socially promote' to keep kids together of a like age, some hold kids back. More common at younger ages than when they get older.
It's not as "acceptable" as it used to be to hold children back......unless there is a very real need.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
They sometimes hold them back here but because they seem to be constantly testing them and monitoring their progress it seems that it is quite hard to fall behind.
My eldest was not good at maths and in her UK school she just moved on each year regardless and fell more and more behind. At her high school here there seems to be a lot more flexibility. They tested her and found out where she was in Maths and then, even though she was a junior, she went into a freshman class for maths and also was given extra classes.
Because she could finally understand she moved on quite quickly.
Freshman who are Maths wizards go into junior classes and the same happens in all the subjects.
My middle daughter was a freshman in senior latin because she had done so much of it in the UK.Because there was then nowhere for her to move up to she has tailored made latin lessons with one other girl.

Generally most kids are with their own age group but I like the fact that there is flexibilty for the brightest and the ones who are really struggling (OK..... the dumbest!)
I really like the system.
That's quite true! Our daughter started first grade this year and I wasn't happy that they had different level reading groups (I'm from the old school that children should be taught together....although I've since changed my thinking) and were shuffled off to another first grade teacher for their reading lessons (there are 5 first grade classes in my daughter's school ) Anyway, we knew our daughter was a strong reader, but the curriculum the school district uses (Read Well) is primarily phonics based and she learns through sight based reading. But after a half year she has been moved from her average reading group to the highest (and she's the youngest in her class) after testing her again after Christmas break.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by keira-2007

In my daughters school there are certain words that are banned from being said... the word "easy".
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keira-2007
My daughter just turned 8 and she is in 2nd grade. In the UK she would have been year 3. I had my concerns that she would find it too easy over here because she would be a year ahead... but I didn't need to worry. The schoolwork is much more focused, and a lot better to tell the truth. And even though kids start later over here, the children seem much more confident, outgoing and brighter in general. Anyone else agree?
Hi:

Out of idle curiosity, does the UK have "kindergarten?"
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Out of idle curiosity, does the UK have "kindergarten?"
Its called "reception" in England
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Its called "reception" in England
And they start at 4, rather than 5... they're supposed to be learning through play, but they wear a uniform and do a full school day.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kins
And they start at 4, rather than 5... they're supposed to be learning through play, but they wear a uniform and do a full school day.
And most 4 year olds are a bit too young to do a full day of anything.....but it makes for a good daycare paid for by the government.....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

I very nearly put both my children into the wrong grade here... no-one at the school picked up on it... it was actually the day we went for registration that my daughter said 'mum these kids look older than me!' They are 11 and 13.. and are in grades 6 and 7...

Really happy with the school they are in.. i get an email everynight from 'school loop' with their grades.. its great!!

My only disappointment is the lack of sports they do in the Middle school... My kids are very sporty and we're in the school teams for most sports.. but they have nothing in their school here... My daughter says its like going back to primary school PE... So it does mean trying to find sports outside of school.... Unfortunately no netball
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
I very nearly put both my children into the wrong grade here... no-one at the school picked up on it... it was actually the day we went for registration that my daughter said 'mum these kids look older than me!' They are 11 and 13.. and are in grades 6 and 7...

Really happy with the school they are in.. i get an email everynight from 'school loop' with their grades.. its great!!

My only disappointment is the lack of sports they do in the Middle school... My kids are very sporty and we're in the school teams for most sports.. but they have nothing in their school here... My daughter says its like going back to primary school PE... So it does mean trying to find sports outside of school.... Unfortunately no netball
Well my daughter is only at elementary but they do gym every single day (although they don't get changed which strikes me as a bit odd - hope they don't get too sweaty!) There appears to be quite a few after school sports activities, probably more so during the warmer months. My daughter is chuffed to bits because they start roller-skating in gym this week. Something they NEVER would have done back in the UK!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we changed for 'gym' in primary school back in the UK. Only put on our plimsolls!
This thread has certainly been encouraging for me. Recently I had been hearing a lot about how the US is worse than the UK for schools on here and I was concerned because a big motivation for me not going back to the UK is the schools. Here we can easily get our 4 year old into an excellent school. Doing the same in the UK isn't as easy with the way the system overinflates property prices near better schools. And all I ever hear about the UK education system is how bad it is.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagojlo;5923505[COLOR="Magenta"
]I don't think we changed for 'gym' in primary school back in the UK. Only put on our plimsolls! [/COLOR]
This thread has certainly been encouraging for me. Recently I had been hearing a lot about how the US is worse than the UK for schools on here and I was concerned because a big motivation for me not going back to the UK is the schools. Here we can easily get our 4 year old into an excellent school. Doing the same in the UK isn't as easy with the way the system overinflates property prices near better schools. And all I ever hear about the UK education system is how bad it is.
Stinky! I know my daughter used to get changed into a PE kit every time they did PE in England - it used to take them 20 minutes to get changed, 15 minutes of PE and then another 20 minutes to get changed. Hardly worth it!

The schools are definitely better over here. And teachers seem to care more about their pupils education. Over in the UK (in my opinion) everything is so formatted and regimented the teachers have lost the joy of teaching. (If there can possibly be such a thing! )
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:35 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink

There isn't much sport in our middle schools here as in "games lessons" but there is tons of sport outside of school.
Football, soccer, baseball, softball, swimming, lacrosse the list is endless.
Where I live we have a township building that houses the library etc and has a recreation office.
That's where you sign up for everything including all the pottery, cake decorating type classes too.

There are also lots of private sports things.
Once they get to high school age there are more school teams but to qualify you have had to have played on the township teams.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

jennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nice

My daughters are 5 and 8 and we are relocating from Hull to the Valparaiso are later this year, Im beginning to think about schools so any advice or comments on ones to check out would be very appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.