Reload this Page >

School Year Equivalent

School Year Equivalent

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

ewillico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Year Equivalent

Hi
My son is 8. He is in Year 3 in UK. Can anyone tell me the equivalent year in US. I'm not sure that 3rd grade is the same..? He will be 9 on 30 Sep 08 and will start school in Atlanta then. Dont want to put him behind or have him be bored by repeating what he's done....help!! Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Year Equivalent

Originally Posted by ewillico
Hi
My son is 8. He is in Year 3 in UK. Can anyone tell me the equivalent year in US. I'm not sure that 3rd grade is the same..? He will be 9 on 30 Sep 08 and will start school in Atlanta then. Dont want to put him behind or have him be bored by repeating what he's done....help!! Thanks
There are a couple articles in the wiki on this subject. Don't assume that 3=3 in the US as there may be some things he needs catching up on as it is taught different here. In addition, social and emotional maturity will count as much as academic progress at this age. Schools are hesitant to put a student in classes with peers who have not developed (physically, socially) as much as their classmates.

Be sure to bring transcripts of what he has studied along with a curriculum list so the new school can conduct a review of his studies and the new schools curriculum.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Be sure to bring transcripts of what he has studied along with a curriculum list so the new school can conduct a review of his studies and the new schools curriculum.
As well as vaccination history...and welcome to BE
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:47 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewillico
Hi
It usually works out this way

1st grade = 6 yrs old
2nd grade = 7 yrs old
3rd grade = 8 yrs old
4th grade = 9 yrs old

Your Son would have to be 9 by October 10th (or thereabouts) and he'll probably have to do a test though...to see where he's up to on his studies...

Good luck and welcome to BE
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter just turned 8 and she is in 2nd grade. In the UK she would have been year 3. I had my concerns that she would find it too easy over here because she would be a year ahead... but I didn't need to worry. The schoolwork is much more focused, and a lot better to tell the truth. And even though kids start later over here, the children seem much more confident, outgoing and brighter in general. Anyone else agree?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
Russell Beattie

rbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nice

I agree that the schooling seems to be more focused. I have a son who is 10 now, in 5th grade, and has had all of his schooling here in the USA. The workload and activities outside of school is more diverse as well. Certainly where I live in north east Ohio the amount of homework since 1st grade has been tremendous, at least half an hour per day. I use to live in Cheltenham and I believe my son is getting a much better education here then he would have in the UK
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:18 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
My daughter just turned 8 and she is in 2nd grade. In the UK she would have been year 3. I had my concerns that she would find it too easy over here because she would be a year ahead... but I didn't need to worry. The schoolwork is much more focused, and a lot better to tell the truth. And even though kids start later over here, the children seem much more confident, outgoing and brighter in general. Anyone else agree?
Quite happy with the US schools in this area too. Just wish they'd learn correct grammar
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:09 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...for where I live. My children were older when we came and we moved one of them from a grammar school. She struggled initially as they were lightyears ahead of her. She caught up and is now a straight A student.
Our school facilities are much better than in the UK schools we used.
Lots of extra curricular stuff,too.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was 11 when we moved here. I've got to agree with everything that's been said...although we thought she would be ahead...she wasn't.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

duncs3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our daughter is 8 in May and just started in 2nd grade here, she was in year 3 in the UK. She had to have a medical and a Hep B shot here (which she wasnt too pleased about). She is getting loads of homework in comparison to the UK.

Dunc
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Not got children yet but is it the case that a child will be kept back a year if they're not achieving rather than have them plough on to their next grade regardless? Or does that policy vary by school/area?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Not got children yet but is it the case that a child will be kept back a year if they're not achieving rather than have them plough on to their next grade regardless? Or does that policy vary by school/area?
Depends on the area. Some schools 'socially promote' to keep kids together of a like age, some hold kids back. More common at younger ages than when they get older.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:33 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
They sometimes hold them back here but because they seem to be constantly testing them and monitoring their progress it seems that it is quite hard to fall behind.
My eldest was not good at maths and in her UK school she just moved on each year regardless and fell more and more behind. At her high school here there seems to be a lot more flexibility. They tested her and found out where she was in Maths and then, even though she was a junior, she went into a freshman class for maths and also was given extra classes.
Because she could finally understand she moved on quite quickly.
Freshman who are Maths wizards go into junior classes and the same happens in all the subjects.
My middle daughter was a freshman in senior latin because she had done so much of it in the UK.Because there was then nowhere for her to move up to she has tailored made latin lessons with one other girl.

Generally most kids are with their own age group but I like the fact that there is flexibilty for the brightest and the ones who are really struggling (OK..... the dumbest!)
I really like the system.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
They sometimes hold them back here but because they seem to be constantly testing them and monitoring their progress it seems that it is quite hard to fall behind.
My eldest was not good at maths and in her UK school she just moved on each year regardless and fell more and more behind. At her high school here there seems to be a lot more flexibility. They tested her and found out where she was in Maths and then, even though she was a junior, she went into a freshman class for maths and also was given extra classes.
Because she could finally understand she moved on quite quickly.
Freshman who are Maths wizards go into junior classes and the same happens in all the subjects.
My middle daughter was a freshman in senior latin because she had done so much of it in the UK.Because there was then nowhere for her to move up to she has tailored made latin lessons with one other girl.

Generally most kids are with their own age group but I like the fact that there is flexibilty for the brightest and the ones who are really struggling (OK..... the dumbest!)
I really like the system.
I absolutely agree with you Doris.

In my daughters school there are certain words that are banned from being said... the word "easy". If anyone says it, the whole class goes OUCH! It made me laugh when my daughter first told me about it, but it's obviously so that anyone that is struggling doesn't feel alienated.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree with you Doris.

In my daughters school there are certain words that are banned from being said... the word "easy". If anyone says it, the whole class goes OUCH! It made me laugh when my daughter first told me about it, but it's obviously so that anyone that is struggling doesn't feel alienated.
Oh FFS. That's ridiculous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.