Reload this Page >

School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

Hi

We are relocating to NYC in July 09 and have 2 girls age 11 and 15. I am a little concerned about schooling for our 15 year. From a timing point of view there is no problem regarding the 11 year old. However our 15 year old daughter has just joined year 10 in the UK system and studying a 2 year course for GCSE qualification in Spring 2010. Does anyone know of any school she could join to finish her GCSE qualification. The main reason for wanting her to do this would be because if our move to the US was only for a few years and she returned back to the UK she would have no qualifications to integrate back into the education system.

I have looked at the British International School and they finish at 14 and do not continue on to High School.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Hi

We are relocating to NYC in July 09 and have 2 girls age 11 and 15. I am a little concerned about schooling for our 15 year. From a timing point of view there is no problem regarding the 11 year old. However our 15 year old daughter has just joined year 10 in the UK system and studying a 2 year course for GCSE qualification in Spring 2010. Does anyone know of any school she could join to finish her GCSE qualification. The main reason for wanting her to do this would be because if our move to the US was only for a few years and she returned back to the UK she would have no qualifications to integrate back into the education system.

I have looked at the British International School and they finish at 14 and do not continue on to High School.

Any suggestions?
Would you be willing to let her finish her school in the uk, and stay with relatives if possible? That may be the best thing for her. She could come to stay with you guys during holidays?

If you are transferring here through a company, you might even ask them to cover her flight expenses? wouldn't hurt to try.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any suggestions?
Do you realise if she wants to go to a UK university you will have to pay International Student Fees? A student must live in the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni to qualify for home fees.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you realise if she wants to go to a UK university you will have to pay International Student Fees? A student must live in the UK for the 3 years preceeding uni to qualify for home fees.

There is an exemption though for expat families who are on postings outside the EU. The parent must prove that he/she is on a temporary assignment on a non-immigrant visa (eg. for the US L1/L2 or H visas). Some universities ask for more proof than others (the admissions office for the University of Southampton wanted more proof than other unis that my daughter had applied to).

They are looking for proof that one still has strong ties to the UK - for example a rental agreement if you are renting out your house in the UK, my spouse was also paying NI contributions, we still had bank accounts (offshore but UK High Street names).

I've known of families (mainly with oil companies such as BP and Shell) who've been on continuous overseas postings for many years in the Far East, Middle East....Texas... and they still managed to get 'home status' fees for their kids.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: School for year 10 daughter about to take GCSE in UK

Hi

Any suggestions?
AFAIK there is no provision for GCSE or IGCSE in the US, so you have few options;

1) As already mentioned, perhaps your daughter could stay with a relative until she completes her GCSE's.

2) Your daughter transfers to a boarding school in England (mine did for her 'A' levels and the company paid towards the fees and for trips to stay with us in the school hols).

3) Your daughter abandons her GCSE course and goes into the US High school system.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Hi

Any suggestions?
My daughter is only two so haven't had to make any real education decisions yet but I feel it looming already and it's been too long since I last did A levels so this might be a little dated but...the first thing that springs to mind is the IB (International Baccalaureate) system.
I think that some UK universities must take IB students since I've heard of some private schools in the UK having switched over to using this instead of A levels. Do you have any idea which universities your daughter might attend? Perhaps contact them or look them up on the web and see if they accept IB and then see if there are any IB curriculum schools in your area.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
AFAIK there is no provision for GCSE or IGCSE in the US, so you have few options;

1) As already mentioned, perhaps your daughter could stay with a relative until she completes her GCSE's.

2) Your daughter transfers to a boarding school in England (mine did for her 'A' levels and the company paid towards the fees and for trips to stay with us in the school hols).

3) Your daughter abandons her GCSE course and goes into the US High school system.
4) find a school that follows international baccalaureate....there's a few knocking around the US that do IB
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
My daughter is only two so haven't had to make any real education decisions yet but I feel it looming already and it's been too long since I last did A levels so this might be a little dated but...the first thing that springs to mind is the IB (International Baccalaureate) system.
I think that some UK universities must take IB students since I've heard of some private schools in the UK having switched over to using this instead of A levels. Do you have any idea which universities your daughter might attend? Perhaps contact them or look them up on the web and see if they accept IB and then see if there are any IB curriculum schools in your area.
They all accept IB....it's a standard international curriculum....makes it trickier to figure out the uni requirements if you apply through UCAS, but either way, they'd all accept them.