Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School vaccinations- potential problem!

School vaccinations- potential problem!

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

upnorth78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School vaccinations- potential problem!

Hi

We are currently looking into which additional vaccinations our daughter will need to start school. She has had chickenpox already but at the time we didn't take her to the doctors so the only evidence we have are some photos- it looks like she will have to have the vaccination, 2 x doses (8 weeks apart). The 8 weeks apart might mean that she can't start school for a month once we get to the US.

Pre-school boosters- she has had those but at 3 and a half years old and the state we are moving to says that one dose of the vaccinations must have been given ON or AFTER the 4th birthday. I am trying to contact the Schools District nurse but from what I heard they are pretty inflexible about the vaccinations.

Obviously we would like to avoid any unnecessary vaccinations, especially ones that she has already had!

Has anyone come across this problem or has some advice?

We are going to pay privately for the chickenpox vaccination.

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School vaccinations- potential problem!

Originally Posted by upnorth78
Hi

We are currently looking into which additional vaccinations our daughter will need to start school. She has had chickenpox already but at the time we didn't take her to the doctors so the only evidence we have are some photos- it looks like she will have to have the vaccination, 2 x doses (8 weeks apart). The 8 weeks apart might mean that she can't start school for a month once we get to the US.

Pre-school boosters- she has had those but at 3 and a half years old and the state we are moving to says that one dose of the vaccinations must have been given ON or AFTER the 4th birthday. I am trying to contact the Schools District nurse but from what I heard they are pretty inflexible about the vaccinations.

Obviously we would like to avoid any unnecessary vaccinations, especially ones that she has already had!

Usually if it is a course of two shots as long as you have proof of the 1st one in the series and a scheduled date for the second then they will let her attend school. Not sure about the 4yr old rule, I just know that booster shots are not given here until the child's 4th birthday. It will be up to the school nurse to decide if they accept it. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tillymin is an unknown quantity at this point

My children had both had chicken pox but had to have the vaccination, They were allowed to start school immediately after they’d had their first vaccine. They also had to have the pre-school boosters again even though they had them just three and four months before their fourth birthday. I was told that there was no flexibility with this and they would not be allowed to start school otherwise.

I was keen for them to start school ASAP and wasn’t registered with a doctor so they got them all over again with no ill effects. I now think that however that if I had taken them to a doctor and explained the situation then they may have given me a medical exemption so they didn’t have to have them again.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Our doctors marked on the immunisation records that they had chickenpox from us verbally telling them and that has been ok. They have the scars to show for it. We also had the problem with the boosters being done on a different schedule. 2/3 kids had to get them again.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 4:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Our younger son had recorded chicken pox, our elder son had shown no sign of it. Our UK GP sent off a blood sample for testing free of charge and it showed he was immune, so neither boy needed those immunisations for our school district. We started the hep B before leaving the UK and completed the course after arriving in the USA.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upnorth78
Hi

I just had the literally the exact same problem. My UK GP wrote an email (with very careful wording because I also had no medical record that my kids had chicken pox), stating that from the information and photos I had provided, it is most likely my children have been exposed to Varicella and therefore he recommends that they are exempt from the vaccination. This was totally adequate for my health care provider in the USA and they waivered the vaccine on the forms which thankfully neither of my children's schools questioned. No way was I happy for my kids to have unnecessary extra vaccines or traumatic blood tests to prove immunity.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 1:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I actually find the schools' hard line attitude to immunizations reassuring. Once you realise that there are many parents coming from outside the USA that have not adequately vaccinated their kids, I am happy that they are keeping a strict eye on it all. I reference in particular the current measles epidemic in EU. American parents take great care to ensure medical records are accurate and the doctor's record everything, why should foreigners be exempt from this? Even for my kids, who had gone through 2 different countrie's health systems ( UK and France) had all their medical records and vaccinations properly recorded. Honestly, taking a prick of blood to test for varicella immunity, is hardly traumatic.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I Honestly, taking a prick of blood to test for varicella immunity, is hardly traumatic.
well thats just a matter of your opinion and to be honest, just because u don't find it traumatic, doesn't mean a young child won't (my son for example has an anxiety disorder and every vaccine is an ordeal yet I have NEVER missed one!!) thus I completely agree about the necessity of vaccinations but I think your implications that its somewhat negligent that chicken pox hasn't been formally recorded is ridiculous. UK doesn't routinely vaccinate against chicken pox, and the advise given to parents is NOT to bring children into the GP surgery (because of infection risks). Most parents in UK , including myself and im pretty sure the OP, go and buy some calamine, administer some calpol, wait for the pox to scab over and then get on with our lives!
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:42 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Most parents in UK , including myself and im pretty sure the OP, go and buy some calamine, administer some calpol, wait for the pox to scab over and then get on with our lives!
Funny that, I went to the scottish GP and was told to use anti-histamine to relieve itching and use an emollient cream to STOP drying out. No scars!! Calamine drying it out is why you end up with scabs and scars. It also meant the kids had a record of having had chicken pox.
Just because your experience is one thing, it doesn't mean that other countries should accept without question what you say. In their eyes, your child is a possible unvaccinated threat to others until you prove otherwise. Just wait til you have to go through the GC medical!!
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Funny that, I went to the scottish GP and was told to use anti-histamine to relieve itching and use an emollient cream to STOP drying out. No scars!! Calamine drying it out is why you end up with scabs and scars. It also meant the kids had a record of having had chicken pox.
Just because your experience is one thing, it doesn't mean that other countries should accept without question what you say. In their eyes, your child is a possible unvaccinated threat to others until you prove otherwise. Just wait til you have to go through the GC medical!!
Its a moot point because they DID accept it. Will happily cross GC medical bridge when I get to it (pox vaccine is least of my concerns regarding that). thanks!

ps the pox need to scab over before they are considered to be not contagious anymore
Old Aug 24th 2018, 1:55 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
well thats just a matter of your opinion and to be honest, just because u don't find it traumatic, doesn't mean a young child won't (my son for example has an anxiety disorder and every vaccine is an ordeal yet I have NEVER missed one!!) thus I completely agree about the necessity of vaccinations but I think your implications that its somewhat negligent that chicken pox hasn't been formally recorded is ridiculous. UK doesn't routinely vaccinate against chicken pox, and the advise given to parents is NOT to bring children into the GP surgery (because of infection risks). Most parents in UK , including myself and im pretty sure the OP, go and buy some calamine, administer some calpol, wait for the pox to scab over and then get on with our lives!
I have sympathy for your son on the needle stick phobia as our younger son is the same, largely as a result of a series of hospital visits including blood draws at all hours of the day and night and an anaesthetist that did not believe he could feel the anaesthetic "burning" as it went into his arm. He actually finds blood samples being taken much more traumatic than injections and was prescribed valium to get him through the GC medical by the very approachable civil surgeon over here. Individual states and school districts all have their own burden of proof and ours would take a parent's word on chicken pox, but all other vaccinations had to be properly documented in their medical records. I think as chicken pox has such a distinctive rash and is so widespread in the UK if the case is mild, as many are, and does not need a GP's intervention many parents do not take their infectious child to the surgery for a diagnosis so it does not get formally recorded. This then only becomes an issue for the small minority of us that end up moving internationally with school age children.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I have sympathy for your son on the needle stick phobia as our younger son is the same, largely as a result of a series of hospital visits including blood draws at all hours of the day and night and an anaesthetist that did not believe he could feel the anaesthetic "burning" as it went into his arm. He actually finds blood samples being taken much more traumatic than injections and was prescribed valium to get him through the GC medical by the very approachable civil surgeon over here. Individual states and school districts all have their own burden of proof and ours would take a parent's word on chicken pox, but all other vaccinations had to be properly documented in their medical records. I think as chicken pox has such a distinctive rash and is so widespread in the UK if the case is mild, as many are, and does not need a GP's intervention many parents do not take their infectious child to the surgery for a diagnosis so it does not get formally recorded. This then only becomes an issue for the small minority of us that end up moving internationally with school age children.
I completely agree with you! and yes your totally right re blood samples
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Not to derail the OPs post but I'm in for fun and games with my GC medical. I have no records of childhood vaccinations at all and can't prove any of them. In my case, vaccinations were not recorded in the GPs medical notes but rather on a separate card that Mum kept hold of. That's long gone and when we moved over here I got a print out of my medical records from the GP. No childhood vaccinations noted. In addition, I did not need the TB vaccination when a teenager at school so I don't have that either so that's going to be a whole thing. I'm not looking forward to it at all so I sympathize with you parents having to go through it with kids.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:58 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by CA-NY
Not to derail the OPs post but I'm in for fun and games with my GC medical. I have no records of childhood vaccinations at all and can't prove any of them. In my case, vaccinations were not recorded in the GPs medical notes but rather on a separate card that Mum kept hold of. That's long gone and when we moved over here I got a print out of my medical records from the GP. No childhood vaccinations noted. In addition, I did not need the TB vaccination when a teenager at school so I don't have that either so that's going to be a whole thing. I'm not looking forward to it at all so I sympathize with you parents having to go through it with kids.
When we had our GC medicals over here younger son was able to just have the standard TB skin test as he had never had a TB vaccination nor been exposed to it. Steveq & I had to have a TB blood test as we had both had the TB jab as teenagers at school in the UK.
https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing/tbtesttypes.htm

Son also had a print out of vaccinations form his UK GP, we had no such records. As an adult the other required vaccinations are as per this table. We had both had chicken pox as children and our verbal statements were OK for that, we went outside of flu season so that was not a requirement and chose to get Td and MMR shots at the physical - these were covered by our health insurance. Check out the table and get any you need in advance if that is more convenient for you and keep the records to hand.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Our doctors marked on the immunisation records that they had chickenpox from us verbally telling them and that has been ok. They have the scars to show for it. We also had the problem with the boosters being done on a different schedule. 2/3 kids had to get them again.
Our doctor did the same. Just marked on the records that my son had chicken pox already. I registered my son for school last week and as we went over the records, I just told them the UK doesn't give immunizations for chicken pox. Since his doctor had already marked that he had the chicken pox, they were fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.