Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School in the South Bay area

School in the South Bay area

Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default School in the South Bay area

Hi. In an attempt to get organised ahead of our likely move in March, I've made my lists of what needs to be done (thanks to advice and other threads on this amazing site) but it's too early to start doing any of it (I think?! Or maybe I'm just in denial about the move!).
So I thought I'd focus on researching schools.

Obviously I don't know where we'll be living yet and I know that the school we can apply for very much depends on where we'll live but that's why I want to open up my choice of rentals a bit by having a list of schools I'd be happy with across different school districts - not sure if that makes sense?

After initial research on the greatschools website and the schools' own websites (although can't really glean unbiased info from there!), the following schools all look good (on paper) - good demographics, good results, good API, good parent reviews, etc but I have no idea what the word on the street is. I'd appreciate any feedback you can give on them - good/bad/indifferent.

Alta Vista Elementary School
Blossom Hill Elementary School
Guadalupe Elementary School
Juana Briones Elementary School
Los Alamitos Elementary School
Louise Van Meter Elementary School
Loyola Elementary School
Montclaire Elementary School
Ohlone Elementary School
Saratoga Elementary School
Simonds Elementary School
Springer Elementary School
Walter Hays Elementary School

Any that you'd recommend that I've missed out? Thank you so much.
AJ
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: School in the South Bay area

So I don't have feedback about specific schools since but just a thought on the list...sometimes you have picked just one school in a district (for example Saratoga Elementary), you should be aware that Saratoga school district guarantees a place for your kid in one of their three schools but not necessarily in your top choice. So if you're considering Saratoga, then you also need to look at Argonaut and Foothill Elementary. I think that Palo Alto works that way too. Not too sure about the others.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
So I don't have feedback about specific schools since but just a thought on the list...sometimes you have picked just one school in a district (for example Saratoga Elementary), you should be aware that Saratoga school district guarantees a place for your kid in one of their three schools but not necessarily in your top choice. So if you're considering Saratoga, then you also need to look at Argonaut and Foothill Elementary. I think that Palo Alto works that way too. Not too sure about the others.
thanks, I didn't realise that's the way it works in some districts. TBH me listing the school in Saratoga was more of a "just in case" as ideally am not looking to move to that area specifically. I've been reading so many posts about how much competition there is to rent a property in a good school area so trying to expand my search just in case.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

So I definitely know that is how Saratoga works (because we are trying to build a house there so I researched it), and I have a feeling that is how Palo Alto works too. You choose the school you want but if they don't have places available, then they tell you which school in the district does have a place available. , I am not entirely sure how the other districts you have chosen work.

I have a friend who moved their kids from south bay to Los Altos district. They moved from an '8' school to a '10' school (they are now in Santa Rita Elementary) and they said that despite the '8' school being good, there wasn't even a comparison between the two. They love Santa Rita.

Have I sent you this link before? Probably, because you've clearly done a lot of research. But it gives you a clear map on roughly how good the schools are. And when you click on each tag, it shows you which school district each one is in.
http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...30139%2C10%2C1

(p.s. I know that I said that I'd skype you. Sorry, have had hands full with a holiday to Hawaii and then husband traveling for three weeks leaving me with three kids and dog on my own. Ha.)
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
So I definitely know that is how Saratoga works (because we are trying to build a house there so I researched it), and I have a feeling that is how Palo Alto works too. You choose the school you want but if they don't have places available, then they tell you which school in the district does have a place available. , I am not entirely sure how the other districts you have chosen work.

I have a friend who moved their kids from south bay to Los Altos district. They moved from an '8' school to a '10' school (they are now in Santa Rita Elementary) and they said that despite the '8' school being good, there wasn't even a comparison between the two. They love Santa Rita.

Have I sent you this link before? Probably, because you've clearly done a lot of research. But it gives you a clear map on roughly how good the schools are. And when you click on each tag, it shows you which school district each one is in.
http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...30139%2C10%2C1

(p.s. I know that I said that I'd skype you. Sorry, have had hands full with a holiday to Hawaii and then husband traveling for three weeks leaving me with three kids and dog on my own. Ha.)
I think all the school districts in the area work like that, Mountain View works that way aswell.

Los Altos SD would be my first choice. However, my daughter goes to a 10, and I'm not overly impressed with the school.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's what I'm wary of. Am really only looking at schools which are 9 or 10 but I realise that doesn't necessarily mean that they are great schools. It's the schooling that worries me the most (well that, and having to live in a tiny hovel for $3.5k + a month)
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:52 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amandaj75
That's what I'm wary of. Am really only looking at schools which are 9 or 10 but I realise that doesn't necessarily mean that they are great schools. It's the schooling that worries me the most (well that, and having to live in a tiny hovel for $3.5k + a month)
Welcome to the Bay Area
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N1cky
Welcome to the Bay Area