Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School/Rental checklist

School/Rental checklist

Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

MKCLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School/Rental checklist

Hi All - firstly thanks for all the useful info so far.

I will be in LA next week on a housing and School recce - apart from the obvious questions can anyone reccomend some more unusual ones?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School/Rental checklist

Read the WIKI on schools up above, and then see what you might need particular that school district (immunizations, transcripts). You can check out http://www.greatschools.net to get the rundown on the various schools in that area before you start shopping for the house. Can save some time if you already have the different names (and test scores) on your mind while you are looking for places to live.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

We did our househunting / school recce trip a few weeks ago.

Beforehand we drew up a list of schools we were interested in - my husbands company are providing relocation help, which included a consultant to help us do this - do you have any of that kind of help?

Once we had our list of schools, we provided that info to the realtor and only looked at houses which were in the attendance areas of schools on our list.

We had some visits set up for the schools, but in the end, the lease houses were moving so fast, we signed up to a house before we had visited any of the schools and only visited the one that my son (aged 10) will be attending.

The school visit was useful - in particular I think my son likes the fact he can now visualise where he'll go to school.

In terms of houses - we had a basic list of requirements - budget, no of bedrooms etc, and we asked to visit all that met our criteria and were in attendance zones for selected schools. We viewed them with open minds, and in the end we chose based on very subjective stuff - kind of the feel of the house.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

AndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really nice

Not sure if you're still around looking for housing/schools.. my husband and I lived for 3 years in Woodland Hills, which is seemingly a nice area... however at the end of the day we were pushed into the Canoga Park School District. Long story short our ultimate decision to move to the Chicago Area was that we COULD NOT let our sons go to school there. IT WAS AWFUL! My suggestion.. if you can swing it & the commute move out of LA County... head towards Ventura... Thousand Oaks has great schools and is a nice area!