Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

As our move is now very imminent, and my husband is supposed to be doing some pre-vetting of schools the week of the 25th March I thought I'd ask the lovely New Jersey crowd which schools he should be checking out. I looked at the web-sites of the schools in Maplewood and they all seemed very welcoming - any views on which ones to go and see? We are working on the principle of find the school and then try and find somewhere to live in the catchment area, rather than the other way around. The children are 8 and 7, so elementary is our primary consideration. They are both bright, but my daughter loves kindness and anything arty/creative; whilst my son needs firmness (according to his current school he has special needs of the sitting still and not annoying everyone else type) and loves maths/science (and hates arty/creative things!). We are only thinking about state schools at this point (although were thinking ds would probably need to go to a independant school at secondary here in London).

Any ideas welcomed!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

Well as I live in the neighbouring school district (Millburn) I don't know very much about Maplewood elementary schools, other than my friend has pulled her daughter out of Tuscan because she had a run-in with the headteacher! However her little boy still goes there.

If you wish to send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address, I'll pass it on to the expat/foreigners group that I often go out with; most of them live in Maplewood/South Orange and some of them do have their children in the public schools there. I'm sure that some of them can give you some advice and perhaps even know of rental properties they could suggest.

Just click on my name and it will flag up 'private message'.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:46 pm
Christopher G. Rizzo, Esq

Chris Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

Morristown is a very well respected school district, and is near Maplewood. I am just curious, is there any particular reason that you want "Maplewood," specifically?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

Originally Posted by nooka
As our move is now very imminent, and my husband is supposed to be doing some pre-vetting of schools the week of the 25th March I thought I'd ask the lovely New Jersey crowd which schools he should be checking out. I looked at the web-sites of the schools in Maplewood and they all seemed very welcoming - any views on which ones to go and see? We are working on the principle of find the school and then try and find somewhere to live in the catchment area, rather than the other way around. The children are 8 and 7, so elementary is our primary consideration. They are both bright, but my daughter loves kindness and anything arty/creative; whilst my son needs firmness (according to his current school he has special needs of the sitting still and not annoying everyone else type) and loves maths/science (and hates arty/creative things!). We are only thinking about state schools at this point (although were thinking ds would probably need to go to a independant school at secondary here in London).

Any ideas welcomed!
These are the elementary school and high school my daughter attended.

http://www.peckschool.org/home/

http://www.pingry.k12.nj.us/

Originally Posted by Chris Rizzo
Morristown is a very well respected school district, and is near Maplewood. I am just curious, is there any particular reason that you want "Maplewood," specifically?
Certainly wouldn't consider Morristown High...too much gang related trouble.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
Christopher G. Rizzo, Esq

Chris Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

I was actually thinking more of some of the "elite" private schools in the Morristown area.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: School Recommendations - Maplewood NJ

Originally Posted by Chris Rizzo
I was actually thinking more of some of the "elite" private schools in the Morristown area.

Yes but what are the annual school fees? Basic fees + extras + 'donation'? Am I correct in thinking that it's a minimum of $20,000 per year per pupil?

It's a huge expense if one has two or more children! However, if the company is paying for the school fees.....

This is the website for the school district where I live (which is next to Maplewood ie. 3 minutes by train and 5-10 mins if driving):

http://www.millburn.org/

Here is the latest 'School Report Card' for NJ public schools.

http://www.nj.com/news/reportcard/

NB: Maplewood (includes South Orange) & Millburn (includes Short Hills) and Montclair school districts are in Essex county. Summit and Westfield are in Union county. Chatham and Madison are in Morris county. All of these suburban towns are served by commuter trains to NYC.