Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School: Moving a 15/16 yr old from UK to US school system

School: Moving a 15/16 yr old from UK to US school system

Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

darren_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School: Moving a 15/16 yr old from UK to US school system

My eldest has just started year 10 (aged 14) in UK school (first year of GCSEs). I could have the possibility of relocating to US. If we moved now, where would he slot into the US school system? If we moved post GCSE's ready for US school in Sept 2014, where would he slot into the US school system?

Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School: Moving a 15/16 yr old from UK to US school system

Originally Posted by darren_uk
My eldest has just started year 10 (aged 14) in UK school (first year of GCSEs). I could have the possibility of relocating to US. If we moved now, where would he slot into the US school system? If we moved post GCSE's ready for US school in Sept 2014, where would he slot into the US school system?

Thanks
My daughter is 15 and is in 11th grade but she is the youngest in her year, most of her friends are 16.
If you moved when your son is 14 he would probably be better off as a 9th grader (freshman).
I just want to add that, in my opinion, this could be a very difficult move for him educationally. I wouldn't let my husband move us from one state to another during high school , let alone from one country to another, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure someone will come along who's kids have done this successfully.
What are your long term plans?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't move our 16 yr old DD when we moved. She stayed with a friends family until the end of the school year, which was only a couple of months away, and then moved to her grandparents and a new school. We did have a lot of discussion with everyone first to make sure everyone was in agreement. Sure we missed her, but she came to stay with us every major school holiday.

You could see if that type of arrangement could work for you.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

darren_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, thanks Lisa. I don't want to make a move that would very difficult for him. If we were to move when he has completed his GCSE's, i.e. July 2014, where would he end up in the school system come Sept 2014 (aged 16 1/2). Also, in Sept 2014, my other son will be 11 1/2 and due to start UK senior school (year 7).

Long term plans, who knows, if the family like living there, then we would go green card and make the move permanent.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darren_uk
OK, thanks Lisa. I don't want to make a move that would very difficult for him. If we were to move when he has completed his GCSE's, i.e. July 2014, where would he end up in the school system come Sept 2014 (aged 16 1/2). Also, in Sept 2014, my other son will be 11 1/2 and due to start UK senior school (year 7).

Long term plans, who knows, if the family like living there, then we would go green card and make the move permanent.
Age 16 1/2 I'd say 11th grade(junior year) to graduate from High School I would imagine the school would require you to have his GCSE's evaluated and transcribed because to get a high school diploma (and therefore graduate) a student has to have a certain number of credits (26 for my daughter).
Your other son would probably be in 7th grade. Our school district begins middle school in 7th grade, but it all depends on your own local school district.

The reason I ask about long term plans is that if you decide to go back to the UK for your kids to attend university, be aware that they will probably be treated as international students.

Also be aware that if you are on an L1 vsa or an H1b visa your children will not be allowed to work until part way through the green card process.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Moving and fitting into the US system isn't really a problem....the concern might be thoughts on university.

To be eligible for UK home rates, you'd need to be resident in the EU for 3 years prior to enrolling, sure home rates don't make much difference now, but getting government backed student loans can make a big difference....considering how expensive university can be in the US.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

We moved our boys over here at aged 14 and 16 (Sept birthdays) in 2010. We put the eldest one in as a Freshman at HS (Grade 9) and the younger one into Middle school (Grade 7).

It's taken our eldest one a couple of years to adjust and he was badly placed initially. He's now just started the final 2 years of an IB course so hopefully that will be as good as A-levels back home and he'll graduate at the same time as his friends back in the UK.
However, he wants to go to uni in the UK, so we'll now have to find the International student fees (e.g. $30K verses $15K per year).
I have no idea what loans or scholarships will be available to him, as he doesn't have a GC or SSN currently.

For my younger son, I think MS was too easy for him and he slacked off for a couple of years. But now he's starting HS along with kids of his same age, so hopefully he'll pull his socks up now.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Can't imagine a 16 year old starting as a freshman (9th grade) that must have really been rough! Would have been more appropriate for the 14 year old to start in that grade rather than 7th grade!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Sorry I think I'm confused myself. We've been here two years and so they must have been 13 and 15 on arrival (and they're now 15 and 17). It's been a busy two years!

I wanted to keep them in class with kids of their own age, rather than push them into a higher grade because they started school at age 5 in the UK.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Can't imagine a 16 year old starting as a freshman (9th grade) that must have really been rough! Would have been more appropriate for the 14 year old to start in that grade rather than 7th grade!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Sorry I think I'm confused myself. We've been here two years and so they must have been 13 and 15 on arrival (and they're now 15 and 17). It's been a busy two years!

I wanted to keep them in class with kids of their own age, rather than push them into a higher grade because they started school at age 5 in the UK.
Ahhh, that makes more sense....
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what loans or scholarships will be available to him, as he doesn't have a GC or SSN currently.
From the US, very little...from the UK, only private loans really...there's even a residency requirement to get a military bursary.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear, are you saying they can't even get a college loan in the US?

Will they have more options if we get a GC before they graduate from HS ?

Originally Posted by Bob
From the US, very little...from the UK, only private loans really...there's even a residency requirement to get a military bursary.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you get your green cards and stay in the US for education then you can apply for federal funding and loans. Your child will also have a much better chance of scholarships and will be treated like a US student in regards to fees at a US university. If you don't get your green cards then your child, if staying in the US will be treated as an international student.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Without greencards, all that's open to you is private scholarships and work based reimbursement type plans for the most part and then what the schools themselves might offer, usually for academic/sporting achievements.

Once you've got greencards, Federal funding and most other sources are a goer, though some of them are US citizen only, but most are good for greencard holders.

Also depending on the college, you might be charged international rates till you get a greencard, though some might take x years residence under a visa into consideration. It's certainly a biggie to ask the college admissions about.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Without greencards, all that's open to you is private scholarships and work based reimbursement type plans for the most part and then what the schools themselves might offer, usually for academic/sporting achievements.

Once you've got greencards, Federal funding and most other sources are a goer, though some of them are US citizen only, but most are good for greencard holders.

Also depending on the college, you might be charged international rates till you get a greencard, though some might take x years residence under a visa into consideration. It's certainly a biggie to ask the college admissions about.
Erm shouldnt someone mention it can take a fairly long time to get a greencard.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.