Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School Matters - Moving Teenager from UK to USA

School Matters - Moving Teenager from UK to USA

Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Matters - Moving Teenager from UK to USA

Originally Posted by civilservant
OP has questions to answer. Until then we're going in circles.
If I was the OP I wouldn't bother.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:47 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maryannh
We are planning to move from Scotland to California in 2021. My 15 year old daughter is currently attending private school in Scotland, going to Year 11. We are planning to wait until she finishes her GCSE in 2021 before moving her but not sure if this is the best option because if she succeeds to Year 12 in the US then it’s just one year of high school before she moves on to university. We are afraid that might affect her grades which would be important for her admissions.

Alternatively we can move her ASAP or consider keeping her in Scotland until she finishes her A levels?

She was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and currently a day student, so boarding her would be a last resort.

We would be grateful if anyone with similar experience would share some kind advices and information.

Thanks very much!

Maryann
I think I moved house 14 times up till I was at Uni, that only involved moving schools 3 or 4 times but it sucked. I was lucky, as the middle child the moves were mostly timed with me starting a new school in a new places, my older and younger brother were not so lucky. Education and healthcare aside I think at that age the social / friends aspect has to be one of the mist important considerations (based on my own personal experience and and that only involved 1 move if county / change in primary langue spoken. Do you know what she wants to do?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We moved my daughter at age 16, straight after completing her GCSE's. The first 6 months was spent trying to get all the necessary credits sorted out and having her attend the courses at High School that there was not an obvious UK equivalent- Civics for example, or US History. After that, she sailed through the remaining three Semesters. In reality, her GCSE's alone would have been OK to get into some Colleges.

You have both options - move after GCSE, or move after A Level. The latter would be easier for the child if they were OK with being back in the UK and moving later. Our experience suggests moving on completion of either is the best time, mid GCSE or mid A Level would have been a nightmare I think.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 7:13 am
Just Joined

HidgiB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,
We are in a a similar position to above, moving our 15 year old daughter who is completing the GCSEs this year, and will start in the new academic year in the US system. Any advice on how to get full credit for the GCSE results? Is there anything we should get from her current school to help backup the results? Is there any company who can assist with this transition?

Thanks,
Heidi and Gary.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HidgiB
Any advice on how to get full credit for the GCSE results? Is there anything we should get from her current school to help backup the results.
Some of the answer has to depend somewhat on where you are moving to. Moving where we did, a town with a university of international reputation, used to academics and their kids moving here from round the world I think gave the counsellor who assessed our sons a very good idea of how GCSES ranked.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 5:06 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HidgiB
Hi Steve,
We are in a a similar position to above, moving our 15 year old daughter who is completing the GCSEs this year, and will start in the new academic year in the US system. Any advice on how to get full credit for the GCSE results? Is there anything we should get from her current school to help backup the results? Is there any company who can assist with this transition?

Thanks,
Heidi and Gary.
In addition to steveq's comments, I would get a transcript or statement from the school of how many hours per week/year your daughter has done in non-GCSE subjects like PE so that she has a chance to receive some credits for those too. Our elder son had to squeeze 4 years of phy ed into his 2 already full years here to get his high school diploma.

Good luck with the move!
Old Mar 15th 2021, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We pulled together the entire Syllabus for each GCSE and used that with the Counsellor to help gain credits. Long process, but we won a few fights along the way.