Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School holidays for American kids when are they ?

School holidays for American kids when are they ?

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road
Default School holidays for American kids when are they ?

Hi Everyone

I am from the Australia site but wonder if you could help with the school holiday situation over there.

We are looking to leave the UK on the 15th May for a holiday in LA (Disney) before onward travel eventually to South Australia. I am hoping to avoid school holidays if possible. Can anyone confirm the dates ?

Thanks in advance.

Jo
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:21 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School holidays for American kids when are they ?

Originally Posted by Paul the spark
Hi Everyone

I am from the Australia site but wonder if you could help with the school holiday situation over there.

We are looking to leave the UK on the 15th May for a holiday in LA (Disney) before onward travel eventually to South Australia. I am hoping to avoid school holidays if possible. Can anyone confirm the dates ?

Thanks in advance.

Jo
Well here in Illinois they start 26th May.
In the north east usually it's end of June.
Don't know about the west.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Schools are generally out in June (Southern California tends to be a bit towards the end of June) The end of May is Memorial Day weekend, you'll want to avoid that. You're probably just right. in the middle of May.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for the speedy response. I get those flights book now !

Jo
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:27 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Most K-12 students should still be in school during mid-May. Memorial Day is May 31st -- celebrated on May 29th this year -- and is a VERY popular holiday for people, since it's considered the unofficial start of summer. But if you're coming mid-May you *should* be ok.

College students are another issue, though. Most college graduations usually take place in mid-May, around Mother's Day (May 14th this year). So you may see more of them, possibly.

I have never been to Disneyland/Disneyworld but my understanding is that they're pretty popular all year round. Keep that in mind and you'll probably have a more relaxed trip.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul the spark
Hi Everyone

Thanks in advance.

Jo

Disney in Orange County not LA county ...school ends 16th June. Memorial day is 29th May Disney is mad then :scared: