Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School fund raising time again!!

School fund raising time again!!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School fund raising time again!!

Originally Posted by rebs
The response might not be too bad - my son's elementary school has a 'write a check' campaign as a fundraiser and that seems to go ok. Employers in the area will often match the parents contributions - we did that with my husband's employer.

Now he's at middle school, there was an option when paying the dues for the PTA to pay extra and then not have to take part in the fundraisers during the year - of course, that won't prevent the kids at the door stuff

Now those are a great idea! maybe I will bring those up in the letter, I'm sure they would give it more thought if there are a few alternatives suggested...well maybe
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember ever doing a fundraiser like these in the UK, we had bake sales and stuff, but never anything as bad as the ones here.

Has that changed?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I don't remember ever doing a fundraiser like these in the UK, we had bake sales and stuff, but never anything as bad as the ones here.

Has that changed?
We had the 'Webb Ivory' catalogue full of Christmas tat every year, no competitions to see who sold the most, etc though.

I totally agee about the tat middlemen doing very well out of these promotions
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters school recently had a magazine drive, that was quite good as most people buy magazines anyway, and the subscriptions are actually really good value.

They encourage all students to sell as many as they can, but rather than singling kids out they have a pizza party for the class who sells the most, and a cookie party for any class where everyone sells at least 1 magazine.

Seems to work quite well.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That is what's driving it all IMO. I researched that job once because a friend enjoyed it so much but I just couldn't stomach ripping off both ends of the supply chain (the school and the parents).
You notice they never sell stuff you could buy elsewhere. It's all made/packaged/marketed for this particular application.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
my sons school now do one fund raising event. Its a walkathon - and done about a month into the term. They ask for donations or sponsorship and say if they get enough they wont have to do any other fund raising for the rest of the year. They still make it a competition though.

The also collect those box tops things - and thats a competition too!
I save my box tops all year and give them to a neighbour's daughter at the beginning of the year, gets them in good with the teacher.

The High School has a stress free fundraiser $10 each.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

My sons school actually has one decent fundraiser I know about.

They do a 'Car Wash' on the school car park every now and then, with students volunteering to wash the cars.

I couldn't be doing with the selling junk....it would drive me up the wall.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we were hit up for a magazine subscription by our neighbor's son. We really don't need any more magazines, but they are lovely neighbors so I picked Saveur because it's only 9 issues
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Last year we were hit up for a magazine subscription by our neighbor's son. We really don't need any more magazines, but they are lovely neighbors so I picked Saveur because it's only 9 issues
We had the magazine thing one year, they gave them postcards to send to out of town relatives and friends so they could order too.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
We had the magazine thing one year, they gave them postcards to send to out of town relatives and friends so they could order too.
Fortunately most of the subscriptions I had to take out in relative's names are now coming to an end.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:24 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

We had the 'Webb Ivory' catalogue full of Christmas tat every year, no competitions to see who sold the most, etc though.

The Webb Ivory catalogue Top filled with Festive Cheer and other useless shit!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharron_
My sons school actually has one decent fundraiser I know about.

They do a 'Car Wash' on the school car park every now and then, with students volunteering to wash the cars.

I couldn't be doing with the selling junk....it would drive me up the wall.
Car washes drive me up the wall. All on the same day 10,000 kids all waving signs and hanging into the road like idiots. Makes me want to not swerve.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Titchski
The Webb Ivory catalogue Top filled with Festive Cheer and other useless shit!
you made me feel quite nostalgic.

http://www.catalogue.webbivory.co.uk...&o=1&link=menu

'Keepsaves'
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart

Why can't the school just send home an envelope and ask the parents (that can) to donate whatever they want too? I would be much happier to do that rather than play into this 'competition' crap! I think it puts too much pressure on the kids, especially if like us, you don't have any relatives here and all the kids in this neighbourhood have the same catalogs from the same school.

Is it just me? or is it starting to get beyond a joke?
Unfortunately, while I don't disagree that fundraising is a obnoxious, while you would donate most wouldn't. The evidence of that can be found in the number of school levies that fail.

Apparently in Arizona if a current levy (that just renews, but does not increase taxes) fails, school nurses will be cut dramatically. Not very smart, is that? Unfortunately some people are so opposed to paying any tax that they fail to realize that very important sacrifices must be made as a result.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:31 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

you made me feel quite nostalgic.

http://www.catalogue.webbivory.co.uk...&o=1&link=menu

'Keepsaves'
I was going to have a look for something for Mrs T - but I daren't click on the "For The Ladies" link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.