Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School fund raising time again!!

School fund raising time again!!

Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School fund raising time again!!

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Scented candles for ROTC... wtf... only way that makes sense is if they're scented with Hoppe's #9.
Don't Ask...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was pretty surprised the other week to find this in our pigeon hole at my son's daycare and a letter saying we should all aim to sell at least 10 items and the person who sold the most would get $30 off a weeks tuition. He's only 9 months FFS and $30 is less than a days worth!
$30 off wouldn't even cover the morning off, so not much incentive to bother.

The missus does like the girlscout cookies though, but always such a hassle.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
What I do have a problem with, is the way they make the kids feel like it's some sort of competition and you are only a 'winner' if you sell enough stuff to end up in the top 10% or whatever!

Why can't the school just send home an envelope and ask the parents (that can) to donate whatever they want too? I would be much happier to do that rather than play into this 'competition' crap! I think it puts too much pressure on the kids, especially if like us, you don't have any relatives here and all the kids in this neighbourhood have the same catalogs from the same school.

Is it just me? or is it starting to get beyond a joke?
No, its not just you..... It irritates me beyond belief! Its a cruel form of brainwash to these kids, and the schools show no mercy, even getting the little kids in on it as well. We have no family here for my daughter to sell to, and of course the neighbor's kids are all selling the same crap, so who do we sell to? My husband won't take it into his office, don't blame him. The last stuff they sent home my daughter just wanted us to buy one thing, so she could get some cheap dime store toy that they promised if you sold ONE THING. :curse::curse:
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:18 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

The only decent promotion I've seen was from our friends up in Chicago (well, La Grange) where they are selling re-usable shopping bags. None of this overpriced cookie dough or magazine pish.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:19 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

But surely the joys of constant money demands from the school are simply part of the wonderful "quality of life" constantly sought by posters?

I refuse to buy tat that I won't use - a straight demand for money would both cost me less and benefit the school more by cutting out the middle-man, as it were. Most mechanisms benefit the school and the tat-supplier and dispproportionately stiff the parent.

One of our schools has an arrangement with a local supermarket chain...they pay the school 3% of the value of all the receipts they hand in. Now that's a much more acceptable way of fund raising.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

The only one we do is the Boy Scouts popcorn sale. The kids get most of the money and it goes towards the boys summer camp fee. That said we don't go crazy, we just buy a couple of the $10 tins of unpopped kernels for our own use. Selling an 8oz tin of popped corn for $9 isn't easy, much less some of the more expensive "flavored" stuff.

Still not as difficult as the one I had to do in high school... Try selling a 3 month (June, July, August) "calendar" printed as a large poster for $50 (yes, I said fifty dollars and this was in '85-'89) in the working class neighborhood I grew up in! People thought it was some kind of joke...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:45 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

That is true, and what Babz said about the prizes they give out is true too, they have to collect over $150 in sales or some such crap, to get a plastic frisbee! I could buy him one for $1 from the dollar store
I am sick to the back teeth of the kids door knocking and asking for money for crap items, I did break down the other day and spend a whopping $6 on a pair of earings for the cute little 6yrs old girl opposite, you just feel like such a bitch when you say no ..............I have no kids myself and have no interest in funding the local school actvitys etc, I would rather put my money to the local animal sanctuary or a cancer charity
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am sick to the back teeth of the kids door knocking and asking for money for crap items, I did break down the other day and spend a whopping $6 on a pair of earings for the cute little 6yrs old girl opposite, you just feel like such a bitch when you say no ..............I have no kids myself and have no interest in funding the local school actvitys etc, I would rather put my money to the local animal sanctuary or a cancer charity
I know my door bell has rung at least 6 times since Monday night by kids from my Sons school selling exactly the same crap he is trying to sell, he refuses to go door to door (which I agree with) I have started getting my Son to answer the door now, as soon as they see him, they just mumble something and walk away!

I have decided that I am going to write the school a 'polite' letter to suggest the donation check method instead of the fundraisers, any guesses on how that will go?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I know my door bell has rung at least 6 times since Monday night by kids from my Sons school selling exactly the same crap he is trying to sell, he refuses to go door to door (which I agree with) I have started getting my Son to answer the door now, as soon as they see him, they just mumble something and walk away!

I have decided that I am going to write the school a 'polite' letter to suggest the donation check method instead of the fundraisers, any guesses on how that will go?
Yep and looking forward to you posting the reply
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yep and looking forward to you posting the reply
to be continued
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The response might not be too bad - my son's elementary school has a 'write a check' campaign as a fundraiser and that seems to go ok. Employers in the area will often match the parents contributions - we did that with my husband's employer.

Now he's at middle school, there was an option when paying the dues for the PTA to pay extra and then not have to take part in the fundraisers during the year - of course, that won't prevent the kids at the door stuff
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

i was at the grocery store and came out they were selling popcorn HAVE U SEEN HOW MUCH THEY WANT FOR THE BLOODY STUFF!!!! WOT A frigging bloody rip off. Frigging amazing.. Frigging Amazing....

My kids come home and its a tshirt a bloody day.. Everyweek is one more tshirt ordered for some bloody belief or the other.

Now my daughter has joined the straight - gay appreciation society wondering wot the hell is going to be on that tshirt.. well worth the $15 to see how that translates on a tshirt.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Now my daughter has joined the straight - gay appreciation society wondering wot the hell is going to be on that tshirt.. well worth the $15 to see how that translates on a tshirt.
Did you see the recent hoo ha over Houston Memorial High School's T-shirt commemorating some football game?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...ex_t-shirt.php
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my sons school now do one fund raising event. Its a walkathon - and done about a month into the term. They ask for donations or sponsorship and say if they get enough they wont have to do any other fund raising for the rest of the year. They still make it a competition though.

The also collect those box tops things - and thats a competition too!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:19 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Did you see the recent hoo ha over Houston Memorial High School's T-shirt commemorating some football game?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...ex_t-shirt.php

Fascinating*, really, what schools choose to get up in arms about and what they let slide.

*Also, somewhat disturbing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.