Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School fund raising time again!!

School fund raising time again!!

Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default School fund raising time again!!

In the last week or so, I have had fund raising catalogs sent from the school, for ROTC, Football team and the School Holiday dance.

I don't have a problem with the fund raising, I know that they need to make extra money for some of the clubs, organizations etc. What I do have a problem with, is the way they make the kids feel like it's some sort of competition and you are only a 'winner' if you sell enough stuff to end up in the top 10% or whatever!

Why can't the school just send home an envelope and ask the parents (that can) to donate whatever they want too? I would be much happier to do that rather than play into this 'competition' crap! I think it puts too much pressure on the kids, especially if like us, you don't have any relatives here and all the kids in this neighbourhood have the same catalogs from the same school.

Is it just me? or is it starting to get beyond a joke?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School fund raising time again!!

Originally Posted by Englishtart
In the last week or so, I have had fund raising catalogs sent from the school, for ROTC, Football team and the School Holiday dance.

I don't have a problem with the fund raising, I know that they need to make extra money for some of the clubs, organizations etc. What I do have a problem with, is the way they make the kids feel like it's some sort of competition and you are only a 'winner' if you sell enough stuff to end up in the top 10% or whatever!

Why can't the school just send home an envelope and ask the parents (that can) to donate whatever they want too? I would be much happier to do that rather than play into this 'competition' crap! I think it puts too much pressure on the kids, especially if like us, you don't have any relatives here and all the kids in this neighbourhood have the same catalogs from the same school.

Totally agree...it really pees me off. I tell my kids that i won't participate and write a check instead. I refuse to let the kids go around the neighbourhood selling the stuff too. My son doesn't, but my daughter this year really got sucked into the competition element of it all
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the American way though, isn't it....IMO the whole schooling environment here is all pressure, with no time for kids to be kids. Mentalist parents using their kids as status symbols for themselves "Oh my Johnny got better grades than everyone" type deal. The fund raising competition malark is just but one aspect of that mentality.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

At least all the money-grubbing carry on at school prepares them for the severe pocket picking they're going to get at university.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's horrible, when they were younger the kids came back in quite a frenzied state about how much they absolutely 'had' to sell.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So any one take part in any of the "home coming" events last weekend then?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you 100%. Dude came home with his a few weeks ago - full of overpriced tat which I refused to buy - explaining that we knew no-one to sell to and I wasn't buying 10 - 15 items so that he could win a sports bottle or some such nonsense. What really peeved me was that the kids who sold x amount of items got to go to a school dance with prizes etc and the rest of the kids would be made to sit in class like a punishment. He was a bit upset but I guess the Aberdonian in him won out and he understood in the end and he stomped off muttering about 'stupid american idiots' - hee hee!

I would also rather just put a donation in an envelope and send it to school every term. And I am not doing Halloween Candy or those stupid valentine cards this year as last year only half his classmates even bothered. Don't even get me started on teacher appreciation week - OMG I am a tightfisted cow!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's horrible, when they were younger the kids came back in quite a frenzied state about how much they absolutely 'had' to sell.
Yeah, my Son is feeling a bit of pressure for the ROTC one, it's his first year, they are selling scented candles for $10 each! I told him I would get three for xmas gifts, but then he wanted me to ask my family (Sisters) back in UK to buy some, I told him, who do you think would end up paying for them? Jeez!

I think I may just cancel the order all togeather and just send a donation check in, I didn't even like the scents, all vanilla and cinamon crap!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I am with you 100%. Dude came home with his a few weeks ago - full of overpriced tat which I refused to buy - explaining that we knew no-one to sell to and I wasn't buying 10 - 15 items so that he could win a sports bottle or some such nonsense. What really peeved me was that the kids who sold x amount of items got to go to a school dance with prizes etc and the rest of the kids would be made to sit in class like a punishment. He was a bit upset but I guess the Aberdonian in him won out and he understood in the end and he stomped off muttering about 'stupid american idiots' - hee hee!

I would also rather just put a donation in an envelope and send it to school every term. And I am not doing Halloween Candy or those stupid valentine cards this year as last year only half his classmates even bothered. Don't even get me started on teacher appreciation week - OMG I am a tightfisted cow!

I really don't think it has anything to do with being tight fisted though, it is all starting to get a bit beyond stupid.

I mean, we have to start out the term by buying ALL the school supplies and uniforms for different clubs etc, that aint cheap! And then it seems like every time there is a holiday, or end of term activity, they ask for more

I'm with you on the halloween candy and valentine cards, I never bought those things.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my Son is feeling a bit of pressure for the ROTC one, it's his first year, they are selling scented candles for $10 each! I told him I would get three for xmas gifts, but then he wanted me to ask my family (Sisters) back in UK to buy some, I told him, who do you think would end up paying for them? Jeez!

I think I may just cancel the order all togeather and just send a donation check in, I didn't even like the scents, all vanilla and cinamon crap!
Who wants to buy the stuff, it's always crap, just extortion really.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Who wants to buy the stuff, it's always crap, just extortion really.
That is true, and what Babz said about the prizes they give out is true too, they have to collect over $150 in sales or some such crap, to get a plastic frisbee! I could buy him one for $1 from the dollar store
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is true, and what Babz said about the prizes they give out is true too, they have to collect over $150 in sales or some such crap, to get a plastic frisbee! I could buy him one for $1 from the dollar store
Exactly, but there's been a brainwashing session beforehand so that it seems like pure gold.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty surprised the other week to find this in our pigeon hole at my son's daycare and a letter saying we should all aim to sell at least 10 items and the person who sold the most would get $30 off a weeks tuition. He's only 9 months FFS and $30 is less than a days worth!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was pretty surprised the other week to find this in our pigeon hole at my son's daycare and a letter saying we should all aim to sell at least 10 items and the person who sold the most would get $30 off a weeks tuition. He's only 9 months FFS and $30 is less than a days worth!
I've had to buy that stuff before.

Never too young to start selling.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my Son is feeling a bit of pressure for the ROTC one, it's his first year, they are selling scented candles for $10 each!
Scented candles for ROTC... wtf... only way that makes sense is if they're scented with Hoppe's #9.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.