British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scary Death Stats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scary-death-stats-483254/)

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 8:59 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats

Originally Posted by krizzy (Post 5354297)
Well you could say he is handicapped...he does have bones in his legs...as my nan used to say...:blink:

Thing is they think its fine for him to lazy about for years....but it seems I should of worked full time with two young kids and a near enough broken neck...:blink:

good old nan ;)

BritGuyTN Sep 26th 2007 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5354290)
Me neither but then it suits some parents to control their adult children.

i think thats the case with my inlaws - my brother in law is a drug addict in recovery (oxycontin) but his mum likes to feel needed, he's 26 and has not held down a job for more than 6 months. I think she would rather he is at her tit as he has been the whole of his life (when he lived in his own place where rent was $200 a month, he would actually call her and get her to go to macdonalds to buy him a burger, despite him having transportation - lazy ****)

he is now looking after his girlfriend's kid and acting as the father (hes obviously not since the kid is mixed). he is deluding himself thinking he is providing for the 5 year old but doesn't pay for food or contribute anything financially to the household. I guess his parents paying for everything is providing in his mind

BritGuyTN Sep 26th 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5353498)
Luckily we live in a really low crime area with a police force that is massively over manned and equipped and so they have nothing to do but hand out speeding tickets. The fact that they are always lurking does slow the teens down

This is a very good thing IMO. when friends of our start saying in a negative way that the east nashville police are really cracking down on drink driving, I always say, yes, thats great - drink driving is completely avoidable, a DUI is not something you get with bad luck, its by making a bad decision to break the law and endanger your life and others. get a ****ing cab you irresponsible losers

People here are like 'oooh, theres DUI roadblocks' FFS don;t drink and drive and you have nothing to worry about....

a best friend of my wife's in knoxville told her that her husband has spent the last 2 months in jail for his

4th DUI

while

being on probabtion for a previous DUI

while

driving on a suspended license because of a previous DUI

COCK. he should be in jail for 11/29 for a 4th offence, he must have a good attorney. The have 1 kid aged 4 and 1 kid aged 18 months. Irresponsible **** also.

I'm feeling pretty judgemental this evening if you couldn;t tell already.

britvic Sep 26th 2007 2:56 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5355062)
This is a very good thing IMO. when friends of our start saying in a negative way that the east nashville police are really cracking down on drink driving, I always say, yes, thats great - drink driving is completely avoidable, a DUI is not something you get with bad luck, its by making a bad decision to break the law and endanger your life and others. get a ****ing cab you irresponsible losers

People here are like 'oooh, theres DUI roadblocks' FFS don;t drink and drive and you have nothing to worry about....

a best friend of my wife's in knoxville told her that her husband has spent the last 2 months in jail for his

4th DUI

while

while

COCK. he should be in jail for 11/29 for a 4th offence, he must have a good attorney. The have 1 kid aged 4 and 1 kid aged 18 months. Irresponsible **** also.

No not at all, throw the book at them is what I say.

BritGuyTN Sep 26th 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by krizzy (Post 5354297)
Thing is they think its fine for him to lazy about for years....but it seems I should of worked full time with two young kids and a near enough broken neck...:blink:

The funny thing is my in laws dote on my loser brother in law but give my wife very little credit. He was expelled from 5 high schools but she excelled athletically and academically. They saw no need to put any money towards hher college education so she worked her ass off and got a full ride (full academic scholarship) to a state Uni and worked her way through it to pay for rent and food. I think she has a total of $1800 of a student loan left (still under 30)

She then put herself through law school with no help and left with $0 debt. Actually she did get a $1000 tuition scholarship and her parents gave her a car with 255000 miles on the clock. This is why I am very harsh towards people not taking responsibility and making the effort to make things happen.

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5354318)
No new car, but if my daughter is as now taking a very heavy load of coursework then I won't make her work.

Unless my kid is in med school or Ivy league I would expect them to work, as above, my wife did law school whilst working a full time job and the first couple of years were not exactly strenuous.

another bloody yank Sep 26th 2007 12:04 pm

My #1 concern is safety though and I will not allow her to get anything not rated safely.

So hell, maybe she'll get a Smart Car. :)

Are those considered "safe"? They're so damn tiny!:eek: The first "car" my wife drove regularly was my FIL's '78 Chevy pickup, after that he bought a '68 Chevy Biscayne 4 door for her to drive (Without power steering!:lol:). By that I mean it was hers to drive while she was in college, after graduation the car went back into the family motorpool (six kids) and she was on her own. She ended up buying (from her Dad and yes, she payed him) a 1976 Buick Electra 225 4 door. It was an enormous car and I loved it! It had a 455cu inch (7.5 liter) engine and was like driving down the highway in your living room.:p

jumping doris Sep 26th 2007 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5355062)

4th DUI

while

while

Actually I approve of the police crackdowns on speeding etc. It came across wrong because at the moment my little group of dog walking friends is being harrassed by the police.
We walk in a wooded, meadow area and dogs are allowed, off leash once you pass a particular point. None of us ever break that rule and we all pick up after our dogs. The township want to ban dogs from this place...no-one else uses it.....and so the police are there nearly everyday watching, driving after us down the trails, checking our licence plates, asking us to show we have something to pick up poop with...it's pathetic.

TruBrit Sep 26th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5356584)
Actually I approve of the police crackdowns on speeding etc. It came across wrong because at the moment my little group of dog walking friends is being harrassed by the police.
We walk in a wooded, meadow area and dogs are allowed, off leash once you pass a particular point. None of us ever break that rule and we all pick up after our dogs. The township want to ban dogs from this place...no-one else uses it.....and so the police are there nearly everyday watching, driving after us down the trails, checking our licence plates, asking us to show we have something to pick up poop with...it's pathetic.

...what a waste of manpower :rolleyes:

NC Penguin Sep 27th 2007 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5350463)
I must say it's terribly sad and frightening about the teen car accidents, almost everyone seems to know a person from their school who died in one. The driving test should be a lot stricter here.

I think it's more about the driver, whether they are intoxicated (drugs, alcohol or a combination) and with friends can contribute to teen car accidents.