British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scary Death Stats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scary-death-stats-483254/)

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 5:51 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353334)
Yes it is and if they want better then they should bloody well get out there and earn it :) yes I'm hard, but I will not pay for my grown children till my dieing day.

exactly, get a job or two and buy their own if they want bigger and better imo.

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353369)
exactly, get a job or two and buy their own if they want bigger and better imo.

Not always possible...my daughter is still at uni and cannot work in Canada. She has a 1,000 mile drive round trip home and back...in all weather therefore she needs something safe and reliable. She has never asked for anything bigger and better...if she did she certainly wouldn't get it.

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 6:08 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353401)
She has never asked for anything bigger and better...if she did she certainly wouldn't get it.

i don't know what she drives so can't comment and anyway that's your business.

but for sure that's the way to do it imo...make them earn it to make them appreciate it.

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 6:15 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353401)
Not always possible...my daughter is still at uni and cannot work in Canada. She has a 1,000 mile drive round trip home and back...in all weather therefore she needs something safe and reliable. She has never asked for anything bigger and better...if she did she certainly wouldn't get it.

You should have given her your old "bus"!:lol:

jumping doris Sep 25th 2007 6:24 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353401)
Not always possible...my daughter is still at uni and cannot work in Canada. She has a 1,000 mile drive round trip home and back...in all weather therefore she needs something safe and reliable. She has never asked for anything bigger and better...if she did she certainly wouldn't get it.

We went to visit my daughter at uni last weekend and she started mentioning cars. She hasn't even passed her test yet.
At our local test centre they only do one test route and everyone obviously knows where it is. It's very easy and all the teens practise a few times and pass. Then they start driving around in their parents massive SUV's and they have accidents.
It is really scary.
Three of my middle daughters friends were involved in a head on collision on friday night. Thankfully they were all OK, a few bruises etc. It made me go cold.
We have no public transport at all so all the teens get their licence at 16.
Luckily we live in a really low crime area with a police force that is massively over manned and equipped and so they have nothing to do but hand out speeding tickets. The fact that they are always lurking does slow the teens down

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353424)
i don't know what she drives so can't comment and anyway that's your business.

but for sure that's the way to do it imo...make them earn it to make them appreciate it.

Actually when my daughter got her car she gave us all the money she'd saved which was around $5K towards the cost of it. It was her suggestion not ours. We took the money and invested it for her...although she doesn't know it. That was every last penny of her savings and because she's an international student she's not been able to earn/save any money since.

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353291)
Oh for gawds sake, it's the old mans and no one else's, talk about gime gime it's my right because your my parent :rolleyes:

I have plenty more where that came from!

The guy's sister works as a sales assistant in a dept. store, she drives an Infinity coupe paid for by the grandparents!

It's not my money anyway, but I feel sorry for the grandparents because they are always guilt tripped into buying stuff for their grandchildren and they're still out at work and edging 75!

britvic Sep 25th 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5353562)
I have plenty more where that came from!

The guy's sister works as a sales assistant in a dept. store, she drives an Infinity coupe paid for by the grandparents!

It's not my money anyway, but I feel sorry for the grandparents because they are always guilt tripped into buying stuff for their grandchildren and they're still out at work and edging 75!

Thats just really sad.

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 8:35 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5353562)
I have plenty more where that came from!

The guy's sister works as a sales assistant in a dept. store, she drives an Infinity coupe paid for by the grandparents!

It's not my money anyway, but I feel sorry for the grandparents because they are always guilt tripped into buying stuff for their grandchildren and they're still out at work and edging 75!

My MIL and her sister are still working Aunty is 72 and washes up in Tesco's...MIL has a son still at home but he just drains the household income....he got his first job a few years ago picking peppers...I don't think he's paid a bill in his life and he is 43...

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by krizzy (Post 5354208)
My MIL and her sister are still working Aunty is 72 and washes up in Tesco's...MIL has a son still at home but he just drains the household income....he got his first job a few years ago picking peppers...I don't think he's paid a bill in his life and he is 43...

and who's fault is that....i can't understand some folks, i really can't unless of course the son is handicapped?

Ray Sep 25th 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 
I have the opposite my Mum has control of my UK bank account ..
I always said if you need money urgently just take it ..

Urgently apparently means another pair of shoes ..
to add to the collection...

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353355)
We will have a 3 yr old one for sale in a few weeks...

can you wait about 20 years? :-)

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354228)
and who's fault is that....i can't understand some folks, i really can't unless of course the son is handicapped?

Me neither but then it suits some parents to control their adult children.

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 8:51 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354228)
and who's fault is that....i can't understand some folks, i really can't unless of course the son is handicapped?

Well you could say he is handicapped...he does have bones in his legs...as my nan used to say...:blink:

Thing is they think its fine for him to lazy about for years....but it seems I should of worked full time with two young kids and a near enough broken neck...:blink:

snowbunny Sep 25th 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats
 

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5353046)

I think I was drunk after watching MNF, I might offer a 50% match of funds to buy a car...

No new car, but if my daughter is as now taking a very heavy load of coursework then I won't make her work. If I'd not had to work during high school and uni I would have been a lot less stressed. If she keeps her grades decent and the load up, then I'm willing to help out. My #1 concern is safety though and I will not allow her to get anything not rated safely.

If her father buys her something stupid and splash I will NOT be pleased. I hope he remembers he was given an old beater station wagon (estate wagon?) when he was in high school/uni and while it was a beater, it was popular because he could take many kids at once. My inclination is opposite though: not something that can carry loads of kids because the accident risk goes up the more passengers you have (especially boys -- there have been studies done). So hell, maybe she'll get a Smart Car. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.