British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scary Death Stats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scary-death-stats-483254/)

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats

I think my son got one speeding ticket...doing 45 in a 30...that was enough for him...he does drive his baby son around a lot so that could make a difference to his outlook on speeding...also not sure if his old car is up to much...can't say I would buy my kids a sports car at 17...

Sally Sep 25th 2007 3:33 pm

I know a very nice neighbour here but she seems to use her wealth to control her 3 grown-up sons and buy her way into their lives.

Must be nice though.

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 3:37 pm

I had a boyfriend I worked with who had a 'mummy' like that...she would come into work and give him hundreds of pounds a week....his dad wanted him to work so stopped giving him money...but 'mummy' thought working was only for the poor...so she would give him money to make up for dad being so hard...:blink:

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5352870)
I know a very nice neighbour here but she seems to use her wealth to control her 3 grown-up sons and buy her way into their lives.

Must be nice though.

I know a family that had a big row because the 21 year old son wanted to borrow his grandfather's Rolex to go to a party, but the grandfather wouldn't let him; the mother took the son's side. :confused: :eek:

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352366)
I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".

actually, you're right

I think I was drunk after watching MNF, I might offer a 50% match of funds to buy a car...

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5352961)
I know a family that had a big row because the 21 year old son wanted to borrow his grandfather's Rolex to go to a party, but the grandfather wouldn't let him; the mother took the son's side. :confused: :eek:

thats slightly ridiculous

son needs to get out there and work to get his own.... they don't grow of trees FFS

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5352820)
I want my daughter to drive a safe, reliable car with as many air bags/safety features as possible...if we have to pay for it so be it. How could I live with myself if she was involved in an accident and seriously injured or worse because she was driving a less safe vehicle because that's all she could afford?

I would rather let her have my car and I would drive the older car.

Thats your choice as I have mine :)

TN-Dave Sep 25th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5352610)
I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.

scarscm ????? in here ?????????????? Never !!!!!!!!!!

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353267)
Thats your choice as I have mine :)

Unfortunately I know of too many young kids who have died in car accidents...so if I can increase her survival chances I will.

Also you have to bear in mind it is much easier for youngsters in the UK to travel around via public transport than it is here. We brought her to live here...so I feel we must share some of the burden.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5352961)

Oh for gawds sake, it's the old mans and no one else's, talk about gime gime it's my right because your my parent :rolleyes:

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5353046)
actually, you're right

I think I was drunk after watching MNF, I might offer a 50% match of funds to buy a car...

Yeah I'm all for that, to help them out a little but not the full f**king brand spanking new car which is top bollox.

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353303)
Yeah I'm all for that, to help them out a little but not the full f**king brand spanking new car which is top bollox.

i think a 5/6 year old jetta is a good option

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353303)

i helped my son buy his first car and it did not have all the bells and whistles, far from it. it was an 18mth old 2 door black fiat uno with just under 1000 cc .... he needed wheels to get to his first job. i would not even if i could have afforded it at the time bought him anything bigger or better. the car was good on insurance (which he paid mthly).... i started it in his own name to build up his no claims.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5353322)

Yes it is and if they want better then they should bloody well get out there and earn it :) yes I'm hard, but I will not pay for my grown children till my dieing day.

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5353322)

We will have a 3 yr old one for sale in a few weeks...