British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scary Death Stats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scary-death-stats-483254/)

Ray Sep 25th 2007 4:02 am

Re: Scary Death Stats

Originally Posted by TN-Dave (Post 5350975)
'dinky toy' - blimey you're showing your age....... LOL

Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..

Sally Sep 25th 2007 4:26 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5350658)
This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.

with the "Ozzie Arrows" proudly flying overhead :thumbup:

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5350514)
And perhaps power/speed limitations on the cars they drive; a member of my wife's family has just past her test at 17, and for her 17th birthday got a BMW, the same BMW one of her friends nearly killed herself in running a stop sign at 80mph.

Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...

TN-Dave Sep 25th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5350977)
Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..

is this where I look on Ebay and see how all those dinky / Matchbox originals I used to break as a kid are now worth a fortune too ?

britvic Sep 25th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5351033)
Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...

I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".

lapin_windstar Sep 25th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352366)
British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's

lol - you're showing your age...

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5352451)

Yep it seems to have caught on in the UK now.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5352451)

No I'm not, none of my friends bought there kids cars and my two grown daughter's back in the UK do not expect me or there Farther to buy them a car either.

scotch03 Sep 25th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5350658)
This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.

I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.

fatbrit Sep 25th 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 5352607)
I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.

I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5352610)
I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.

No!:eek:

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352366)
I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".

That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...:lol:

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.:rolleyes:

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?

britvic Sep 25th 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5352691)
That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...:lol:

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.:rolleyes:

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?

There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place :rolleyes: My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352710)
There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place :rolleyes: My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.

I agree, and as tough as it is sometimes to be hard on them, I know it's for the best. The sad thing is that I know parents of adult children (The "kids" are in their 30's) that are still bailing their brats out of trouble because they spoiled them as a child. I don't want that to happen.:D

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352710)

I want my daughter to drive a safe, reliable car with as many air bags/safety features as possible...if we have to pay for it so be it. How could I live with myself if she was involved in an accident and seriously injured or worse because she was driving a less safe vehicle because that's all she could afford?

I would rather let her have my car and I would drive the older car.