British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scary Death Stats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scary-death-stats-483254/)

franc11s Sep 24th 2007 7:52 pm

Scary Death Stats

Read some Stats today...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of U.S. violent crimes increased in 2006 for the second consecutive year, with more than 17,000 murders nationwide..

Article 17,000 murders

The number of Deaths on US roads in 2005 was about 44,000, about 119 per day. 36% of so are teens :(

In the U.S. during 2004, 4,767 teens ages 16 to 19 died of injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. During 2005, nearly 400,000 motor vehicle occupants in this age group sustained nonfatal injuries severe enough to require treatment in an emergency department (CDC 2006).

Don't know why I felt compelled to post but somethings been bugging me lately about where we as a society put our priorities.

Sally Sep 24th 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Scary Death Stats

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5350005)
Read some Stats today...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of U.S. violent crimes increased in 2006 for the second consecutive year, with more than 17,000 murders nationwide..

Article 17,000 murders

The number of Deaths on US roads in 2005 was about 44,000, about 119 per day. 36% of so are teens :(

In the U.S. during 2004, 4,767 teens ages 16 to 19 died of injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. During 2005, nearly 400,000 motor vehicle occupants in this age group sustained nonfatal injuries severe enough to require treatment in an emergency department (CDC 2006).

Don't know why I felt compelled to post but somethings been bugging me lately about where we as a society put our priorities.

Facelifts seem to be the priority here :blink:

TruBrit Sep 24th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5350287)
Facelifts seem to be the priority here :blink:

:lol:

i propose the Bee Gees 'Staying Alive' to be Houston's new theme song :eek:

Sally Sep 24th 2007 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5350310)
:lol:

i propose the Bee Gees 'Staying Alive' to be Houston's new theme song :eek:

"The Monster Mash" :lol:

fatbrit Sep 24th 2007 10:14 pm

The 2,974 fatalities of 9/11 seem to have eclipsed everything else. Weird really considering we've lost a further 3,795 pursuing the people who did it but who aren't weren't where we're at when we originally went after them

So I think we can have overreaction to death, but the number need not be so relatively high. Just find a profit motive in it for someone and they'll pursue it further death.

Sally Sep 24th 2007 10:33 pm

I must say it's terribly sad and frightening about the teen car accidents, almost everyone seems to know a person from their school who died in one. The driving test should be a lot stricter here.

franc11s Sep 24th 2007 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5350463)
I must say it's terribly sad and frightening about the teen car accidents, almost everyone seems to know a person from their school who died in one. The driving test should be a lot stricter here.

34% of 44,000 is about 1 teen a day in EVERY SINGLE STATE :(

anotherlimey Sep 24th 2007 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5350463)

And perhaps power/speed limitations on the cars they drive; a member of my wife's family has just past her test at 17, and for her 17th birthday got a BMW, the same BMW one of her friends nearly killed herself in running a stop sign at 80mph.

britvic Sep 24th 2007 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5350483)
34% of 44,000 is about 1 teen a day in EVERY SINGLE STATE :(

OMG thats terrible :( you'd think there would be an out cry wouldn't ya :rolleyes:

britvic Sep 24th 2007 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5350514)
And perhaps power/speed limitations on the cars they drive; a member of my wife's family has just past her test at 17, and for her 17th birthday got a BMW, the same BMW one of her friends nearly killed herself in running a stop sign at 80mph.

Bloody Parents must be idiots :rolleyes:

elfman Sep 25th 2007 12:29 am

The number of U.S. violent crimes increased in 2006 for the second consecutive year, with more than 17,000 murders nationwide...

This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 12:33 am

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5350533)
Bloody Parents must be idiots :rolleyes:

One's not around, the other is compensating for not being around as much... I told him to get her a smaller car, but of course here in Miami everyone wants to buy the best. :(

Kaffy Mintcake Sep 25th 2007 1:50 am

I think unfortunately teens will always think themselves invincible to a certain degree. A boy here is being tried because two of his friends died in the car he was driving - and to be honest, I'm not sure that's the solution either - is it really going to prevent reckless driving in the future? Maybe, I guess that's the intent, but I doubt it.

Equally to blame are the many adult idiot drivers who drive who and dangerously on the roads.

Ray Sep 25th 2007 2:28 am

My mum bought me a car .... best dinky toy I ever had ....

TN-Dave Sep 25th 2007 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5350845)
My mum bought me a car .... best dinky toy I ever had ....

'dinky toy' - blimey you're showing your age....... LOL

Ray Sep 25th 2007 4:02 am

Originally Posted by TN-Dave (Post 5350975)
'dinky toy' - blimey you're showing your age....... LOL

Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..

Sally Sep 25th 2007 4:26 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5350658)
This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.

with the "Ozzie Arrows" proudly flying overhead :thumbup:

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5350514)

Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...

TN-Dave Sep 25th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5350977)
Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..

is this where I look on Ebay and see how all those dinky / Matchbox originals I used to break as a kid are now worth a fortune too ?

britvic Sep 25th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5351033)
Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...

I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".

lapin_windstar Sep 25th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352366)
British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's

lol - you're showing your age...

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5352451)

Yep it seems to have caught on in the UK now.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5352451)

No I'm not, none of my friends bought there kids cars and my two grown daughter's back in the UK do not expect me or there Farther to buy them a car either.

scotch03 Sep 25th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5350658)

I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.

fatbrit Sep 25th 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 5352607)
I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.

I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5352610)
I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.

No!:eek:

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 2:42 pm

I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".

That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...:lol:

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.:rolleyes:

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?

britvic Sep 25th 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5352691)
That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...:lol:

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.:rolleyes:

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?

There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place :rolleyes: My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352710)
There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place :rolleyes: My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.

I agree, and as tough as it is sometimes to be hard on them, I know it's for the best. The sad thing is that I know parents of adult children (The "kids" are in their 30's) that are still bailing their brats out of trouble because they spoiled them as a child. I don't want that to happen.:D

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5352710)

I want my daughter to drive a safe, reliable car with as many air bags/safety features as possible...if we have to pay for it so be it. How could I live with myself if she was involved in an accident and seriously injured or worse because she was driving a less safe vehicle because that's all she could afford?

I would rather let her have my car and I would drive the older car.

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 3:24 pm

I think my son got one speeding ticket...doing 45 in a 30...that was enough for him...he does drive his baby son around a lot so that could make a difference to his outlook on speeding...also not sure if his old car is up to much...can't say I would buy my kids a sports car at 17...

Sally Sep 25th 2007 3:33 pm

I know a very nice neighbour here but she seems to use her wealth to control her 3 grown-up sons and buy her way into their lives.

Must be nice though.

krizzy Sep 25th 2007 3:37 pm

I had a boyfriend I worked with who had a 'mummy' like that...she would come into work and give him hundreds of pounds a week....his dad wanted him to work so stopped giving him money...but 'mummy' thought working was only for the poor...so she would give him money to make up for dad being so hard...:blink:

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5352870)
I know a very nice neighbour here but she seems to use her wealth to control her 3 grown-up sons and buy her way into their lives.

Must be nice though.

I know a family that had a big row because the 21 year old son wanted to borrow his grandfather's Rolex to go to a party, but the grandfather wouldn't let him; the mother took the son's side. :confused: :eek:

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:20 pm

actually, you're right

I think I was drunk after watching MNF, I might offer a 50% match of funds to buy a car...

BritGuyTN Sep 25th 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5352961)
I know a family that had a big row because the 21 year old son wanted to borrow his grandfather's Rolex to go to a party, but the grandfather wouldn't let him; the mother took the son's side. :confused: :eek:

thats slightly ridiculous

son needs to get out there and work to get his own.... they don't grow of trees FFS

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5352820)
I want my daughter to drive a safe, reliable car with as many air bags/safety features as possible...if we have to pay for it so be it. How could I live with myself if she was involved in an accident and seriously injured or worse because she was driving a less safe vehicle because that's all she could afford?

I would rather let her have my car and I would drive the older car.

Thats your choice as I have mine :)

TN-Dave Sep 25th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5352610)

scarscm ????? in here ?????????????? Never !!!!!!!!!!

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353267)
Thats your choice as I have mine :)

Unfortunately I know of too many young kids who have died in car accidents...so if I can increase her survival chances I will.

Also you have to bear in mind it is much easier for youngsters in the UK to travel around via public transport than it is here. We brought her to live here...so I feel we must share some of the burden.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5352961)

Oh for gawds sake, it's the old mans and no one else's, talk about gime gime it's my right because your my parent :rolleyes: