Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scary Death Stats

Scary Death Stats

Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scary Death Stats

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
'dinky toy' - blimey you're showing your age....... LOL
Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.
with the "Ozzie Arrows" proudly flying overhead
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:45 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
And perhaps power/speed limitations on the cars they drive; a member of my wife's family has just past her test at 17, and for her 17th birthday got a BMW, the same BMW one of her friends nearly killed herself in running a stop sign at 80mph.
Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:50 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Have you seen the prices they fetch now ..
is this where I look on Ebay and see how all those dinky / Matchbox originals I used to break as a kid are now worth a fortune too ?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Completely agree. Americans are dumb as shit in this respect.

My wife's first car at 17 was a old boxy style BMW 3 series that her parents picked for her for a couple thousand bucks

HMMM, no weight in the rear with powerful engine and rear wheel drive? She wrecked it after a month, flipping the car on its roof and flattening a lampost and nearly killing herself

after this retarded decision, they went and excelled themselves by getting her a nissan 240SX - the 2 door coupe we had in the Uk but known as a 200SX. Again, light car, lots of power and rear wheel drive.

She wrecked that car at 70 miles an hour on the interstate and miraculously walked away

the final car she got from them was a subaru station wagon - finally some sense.

When/if we have kids they are getting a golf or jetta. Solid and front wheel drive with lots of airbags.... no stupid posh cars or big rollover-stricken SUVs...
I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:26 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's
lol - you're showing your age...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yep it seems to have caught on in the UK now.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
No I'm not, none of my friends bought there kids cars and my two grown daughter's back in the UK do not expect me or there Farther to buy them a car either.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:11 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elfman
This country has gone to the dogs - I'm emigrating to Australia where there's no crime, no immigrants, no "PC gone mad" and we can spend all our time on the beach or having BBQs in our two acre back garden.
I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotch03
I assume you're being sarcastic?
Australia has plenty of crime, numerous immigrants - and you would be one of them if you "immigrate". You're correct about the BBQ though.
I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I can confirm he is being sarcastic. We have a few of them on here. Even a few cynics, too.
No!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad we are off home because British Kid's dont expect there Parents to buy them car's, it will be a case of "you want one Son you work for it".
That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's how it was for my crowd. When I was 14 I wanted a fancy bike. My parents told me I better get to work. I put an add in the paper offering my services as labor. I weeded gardens, mowed lawns and a bunch of other odd jobs all summer to save enough money for the bike. It was the same way when I wanted a car. My parents didn't buy me that TR-6 I posted a pic of, I earned every penny bagging groceries at the supermarket. That was a lot of f**kin groceries...

It wasn't until High School that I saw kids whose parents bought them cars and such. These were the same kids whose parents hired lawyers to make the kid's DUIs disappear and replaced their wrecked cars with new ones when junior had a few too many or wrapped the new Mustang GT around a light pole while street racing.

But surely those kind of parents exist everywhere?
There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

There'll always be Parents with more money than sense and one day they will sit and wonder what they did wrong to have a Brat in the first place My OH did just the same as you and he was an only child, of course his Parents could of bought him a car, but I do know they use to help him out with the Insurance.
I agree, and as tough as it is sometimes to be hard on them, I know it's for the best. The sad thing is that I know parents of adult children (The "kids" are in their 30's) that are still bailing their brats out of trouble because they spoiled them as a child. I don't want that to happen.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I want my daughter to drive a safe, reliable car with as many air bags/safety features as possible...if we have to pay for it so be it. How could I live with myself if she was involved in an accident and seriously injured or worse because she was driving a less safe vehicle because that's all she could afford?

I would rather let her have my car and I would drive the older car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.