Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scariest places in the USA

Scariest places in the USA

Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:17 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scariest places in the USA

Lived just South of Detroit for a few years - none of the locals would go downtown! The worst areas we ever saw were when trying to get from the Ambassador Bridge to I75, or when following Woodward North out of the city.

There is some amazing architecture as the other thread shows - one of the eeriest is the theater that's now a multi story car park where you can still see the remains of the curtains and mirrors.

Found Brockton, MA way scarier! plus the area around the San Francisco Tourist Info where some really agressive beggars accosted you as you got off the escalator - a great welcome for visitors!

Scariest place in NA though was Vancouver - trying to get across town one Summer Sat afternoon we took a wrong turn and saw some poor old guy getting attacked about 10 yards from a policeman!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't this going to be just a repeat of the Crappiest Places in the US thread?
No Milton Freewater in Oregon is a dump but it isn't scary
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Found Brockton, MA way scarier!
Ah, I somehow missed Brockton off my list!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

How are people deciding if a place is scary?
A lot of places listed seem to be poor working class areas, not so many reasons given about why the places were scary. is it just an assumption that poverty will lead to crime?

My problem in America is my almost total lack of ability to read the cultural clues, so many areas look like nice bourgeoisie areas to me, I only get told I was in the dodgy area later.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I've also heard Camden, NJ is bad but never been there.
Camden is indeed a scary place - and it's about to cut its police force in half which seems like a really good idea!

http://www.salon.com/news/crime/inde...police_layoffs
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
How are people deciding if a place is scary?
A lot of places listed seem to be poor working class areas, not so many reasons given about why the places were scary. is it just an assumption that poverty will lead to crime?
A place is scary when there's a high crime rate...when you aren't comfortable walking the streets because of whatever is out there, whether drunks, druggies or whatever.

Biggest drugs bust I've seen though was in the poshest of posh towns, but then Brazilian drug king pin isn't going to be living in a shitter of a town like his lackies is he
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BHAFC14
Three months after arriving in New York the British firm of Quantity Surveyors I was working with moved me from our offices in mid-town Manhattan onto the New Yankee Stadium project in the Bronx which was a bit of a culture shock. The area around the stadium is not the worst part of the Bronx but you definitely stuck to the main route between the subway and the site and you didn’t hang around once it started to get dark. You would read about the murders and arson attacks in the paper. Most of the locals were OK – you just got this overwhelming sense of despair with most adults out of work and just hanging around aimlessly and all the kids skiving off school and you just couldn’t see it ever changing.
Then you would have loved the Bronx in the 1970s -- the "Bronx is burning" and "Fort Apache" days. The South Bronx is seriously tame in comparison to what it was like then. I lived in the Fordham area, and one night stayed a little too long at Happy Hour in midtown. I was in the cab going home, looked out and thought I was on Fordham and said, Oh this is fine, drop me here. The guy looked at me a little strangely; I got out and realized I was in some godforsaken corner of the South Bronx. I immediately hailed another cab and got the heck out of there. I've often wondered if my guardian angel was the same cabbie, coming around the block to see if I was still alive, as it wasnt the place you'd find a real yellow cab.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

sanielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Some more came to mind...

Venice Beach, California...great during the day but the guys running the hostel I stayed in told me not to go out at night

Miami, Florida - witnessed a full scale police bust on the street (guns drawn) while waiting at a downtown bus stop...I think it was a drugs bust

Hollywood, California - same as Miami above

Tampa, Florida - a wacko pulled a knife on someone in a downtown shopping mall in broad daylight while I was there with my wife, my sister and my mom...later we walked into a very shady bar....turned around and left very quickly....Tampa is not my favorite Florida destination
Marylandned

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)

And you're scared of Tampa???
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Scariest places in the USA

One of the truly most dangerous, crime-ridden cities in the US - Camden, New Jersey, just across the river from Philadelphia - yesterday laid off almost half of the police force and firemen:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70H3XQ20110118

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/h...mid=&Itemid=11

Here's a list (with photos) of the most dangerous cities in the US....Camden is no.2 on this list but has also been no. 1 in other years ***and yet they've now just laid off nearly half of their police force***

http://www.walletpop.com/photos/dangerous-cities/

I've only been to Camden once; my daughter and her then boyfriend were visiting from the UK and went to see a Radiohead concert at a stadium near to the river - I offered to drive them there and back (what a fool, didn't realise it was quite a long drive - half of the roads were blocked off in Camden and my Satnav got confused and sending me round and round in circles). I spent the evening reading my book in a MacDonalds in Camden, not the coffeeshop I envisaged...it was a very uncomfortable feeling, the clientele were scary and I had to keep my eye on the car as I thought it was likely to have been stolen. I'd never have gone if I'd known about Camden's reputation and I now know that I didn't even see the really dangerous/run-down parts of the city.

Oddly enough, when I went to Memphis I thought it was a bit scary as well - and that was during the daytime...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a British accent, South Boston (Southie) any time before 2000.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:00 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
One of the truly most dangerous, crime-ridden cities in the US - Camden, New Jersey, just across the river from Philadelphia - yesterday laid off almost half of the police force and firemen:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70H3XQ20110118

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/h...mid=&Itemid=11

Here's a list (with photos) of the most dangerous cities in the US....Camden is no.2 on this list but has also been no. 1 in other years ***and yet they've now just laid off nearly half of their police force***

http://www.walletpop.com/photos/dangerous-cities/

Oddly enough, when I went to Memphis I thought it was a bit scary as well - and that was during the daytime...
Think we drove through Camden NJ recently - wasn't a particularly nice place, and now you mention it, it was rather scary - and that was around lunchtime!

Also found Memphis depressing rather than scary but that was around 2001 - Beale St was a real let down, as was the rather appalling BBQ joint. Only good bit was the ducks!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point

Trenton NJ was a joy.

I went to the hospital there to have my second baby who decided to arrive at 2am on a Sunday morning. That was scary! At least it took my mind off the labour pains though
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:46 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Vegas greyhound bus station at around midnight on super bowl sunday. Never again!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Knocking on my front door
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanielle
Marylandned

And you're scared of Tampa???
LOL! Tampa is a bit of a shit hole though and has major gang problems.

I used to live in Hulme and Moss Side in Manchester as a student. Many times I wandered home late at night (often the worse for a few drinks) and I never had any problems.

Belfast is one of the safest cities I've ever been in. Even during "The Troubles" the rate of regular crime was pretty low. Probably because everyone was scared of vigilante justice from the paramilitary groups.

Toronto is very safe - never had a problem in 7 years there.

Never had much of a problem in 2 years in London either although I never had any reason to go to the worst parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.