British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scariest films, ever let me start you off (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scariest-films-ever-let-me-start-you-off-349776/)

Jaxbar Jan 22nd 2006 4:52 am

Scariest films, ever let me start you off

Having just watched Saw, which was lame, have to ask have you seen? french film, Irreversible (not saying i would watch again too horrific) or japanese, The Audition, saw both back in UK, both recommended by Mark Kermode 5 live and I still 'listen again' to his reviews on fridays.

peacelover Jan 22nd 2006 5:04 am

Re: Scariest films, ever let me start you off

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Having just watched Saw, which was lame, have to ask have you seen? french film, Irreversible (not saying i would watch again too horrific) or japanese, The Audition, saw both back in UK, both recommended by Mark Kermode 5 live and I still 'listen again' to his reviews on fridays.

I thought "Saw" was scary but so was "Wrong Turn", I found that edge of the seat stuff.

Jaxbar Jan 22nd 2006 5:07 am

Originally Posted by peacelover
I thought "Saw" was scary but so was "Wrong Turn", I found that edge of the seat stuff.

You need to hook up with my OH he is currently working nights probably watching Devils Rejects again

Rushman Jan 22nd 2006 5:11 am

Originally Posted by peacelover

I thought "Wrong Turn" was just hilarious, however (and this is serious) it scared Mrs. Rush so much so won't have a copy of it back in the house...........silly cow!! :rolleyes:

Jaxbar Jan 22nd 2006 5:15 am

Originally Posted by rushman
I thought "Wrong Turn" was just hilarious, however (and this is serious) it scared Mrs. Rush so much so won't have a copy of it back in the house...........silly cow!! :rolleyes:

Is that the one with all the mountain inbreeds or the welcome to the USA website ad?

USBound Jan 22nd 2006 5:37 am

scariest film I EVER saw... "Requiem for a Dream" its not a horror but it scared the bejesus outta me and my friends - probably didn't help that we were high as kites and swigging on several bottles of hard liquor at the time.

as far as actual horror scarying me... I don't think any ever did.

Jaxbar Jan 22nd 2006 5:39 am

Originally Posted by USBound
scariest film I EVER saw... "Requiem for a Dream" its not a horror but it scared the bejesus outta me and my friends - probably didn't help that we were high as kites and swigging on several bottles of hard liquor at the time.

as far as actual horror scarying me... I don't think any ever did.

You need to stay in more...

dgsyd1 Jan 22nd 2006 5:45 am

Anyone else remember Threads? A mid 80's BBC drama set in Sheffield, that shows the events leading up to, during, and after a full scale nuclear war. Now that was one of the scariest things I've ever seen, right up there with just about any horror film. Especially as for the first 40 minutes it plays out like a typical kitchen sink drama of the time, that is until the nukes start flying.

Rushman Jan 22nd 2006 5:53 am

Is that the one with all the mountain inbreeds or the welcome to the USA website ad?

its what i see every time I open my passport and look at the visa page

Jaxbar Jan 22nd 2006 5:53 am

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Anyone else remember Threads? A mid 80's BBC drama set in Sheffield, that shows the events leading up to, during, and after a full scale nuclear war. Now that was one of the scariest things I've ever seen, right up there with just about any horror film. Especially as for the first 40 minutes it plays out like a typical kitchen sink drama of the time, that is until the nukes start flying.

I remember that one, was there a horrible scene with a girl having a baby with dogs snapping at her heels, or was that Survivors or The train? similar stuff

Jabba1 Jan 22nd 2006 8:41 am

Originally Posted by dgsyd1

Yes, I remember Threads. I found it completely boring and uninteresting. It had one of the worst lines of dialogue I've ever heard. A young boy comes running out of the house and says "the Americans and the Russians are fighting one another! I've just seen it on the tele" I didn't much care for the US's anti-nuke film "The Day After" either.

On the other hand, the Russian made nuke film "Letters from a Dead Man" was quite thought provoking. It shows the aftermath of a nuclear war from the Russian perspective. It depicted the Russians living like primitive cave people following a nulear exchange with the US. It had a scene of Moscow being destroyed by a nulcear missle that looked far more realistic than the US version. TBS also ran it with it's nudity in tact, quite rare back then.

ukemigrant Jan 22nd 2006 11:39 am

Most Japanese horrors are light years beyond Western ones. The Audition as you mentioned, the original Ringus films (one and two), The Grudge, and others I can't remember. Just look for that category on Tivo or whatever you have.

ScousePete Jan 22nd 2006 11:40 am

"Hostel", just released is supposed to be very scary. Haven't seen it myself yet.

ukemigrant Jan 22nd 2006 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete
"Hostel", just released is supposed to be very scary. Haven't seen it myself yet.

I dunno - this looks a gorefest, which doesn't make my hair stand up. I want a movie that'll make me think twice about getting up in the middle of the night, and make me open the shower curtain all the way so nothing can be hiding behind it :).

cindyabs Jan 22nd 2006 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I dunno - this looks a gorefest, which doesn't make my hair stand up. I want a movie that'll make me think twice about getting up in the middle of the night, and make me open the shower curtain all the way so nothing can be hiding behind it :).

or sleep with your hands inside the covers- :o

Blood and gore don't scare me-it's the psych stuff........