Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scared of driving in the US

Scared of driving in the US

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:49 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared of driving in the US

Just go to the local theme park/ fair ground and drive around in the bumper cars trying to avoid everyone. It's pretty much the same as that with your average driver around these parts.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:59 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

The techniques you use vary depending on which part of the country you're in.

For example, here in Seattle, if you're driving on the freeway at 3am, and the car in front of you (say, 2.5 miles away) should slow down at all, or even drift one foot to either side, the correct technique is to stamp on you brakes as hard as you can (there being a clear and present danger that you could rear-end him).

Also, if you want to leave the interstate, it is imperative that you stay in the outside lane until no more than 100 yards before the exit, then scream across all the other lanes of traffic, flipping them off when they go "Tut, tut!"

Note: if it is a fast-lane exit, you should be in the right-hand lane until the 100 yards.

Wankers.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
When you sit on the opposite side of the car it feels natural to drive on the other side.
That's probably the most important bit of a advice. Automatic probably makes the initial readjustment easier, too, because you don't have to grapple around the door pocket trying to change gear[1]. As long as there aren't too many roundabouts it's fairly easy to switch sides.

I grew up in Germany, that's where I learnt to drive, now have been living in the UK for about 12 years and I got used to switching back and forth quite quickly. Heck, I take my RHD cars to the continent without too much trouble these days.

[1] Yes, I occasionally do that.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed

For example, here in Seattle, if you're driving on the freeway at 3am, and the car in front of you (say, 2.5 miles away) should slow down at all, or even drift one foot to either side, the correct technique is to stamp on you brakes as hard as you can (there being a clear and present danger that you could rear-end him).

Also, if you want to leave the interstate, it is imperative that you stay in the outside lane until no more than 100 yards before the exit, then scream across all the other lanes of traffic, flipping them off when they go "Tut, tut!"

Note: if it is a fast-lane exit, you should be in the right-hand lane until the 100 yards.

Wankers.
So what do you think of the "suicide on/off-ramps"? I've never seen anything like it, but that really took some getting used to.....
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need indicators either.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The driving test and actually driving an automatic were not a big deal at all for me, the test was 10 mins long if that!

My biggest problem was the driving on the wrong side of the road, you just have to remember where you are, it's easy if you are following other drivers, but as was mentioned in another post, it's when you are driving out of a side road into an empty street etc, that can get you turned around. I was driving around base on the wrong side of the road when I first got here, I got stopped by the cop, but he was really sweet and understanding after he heard my accent!

Like everything else over here, in time you get used too it. I learned to drive in a stick shift, but I wouldn't want to swap my automatic for one ever!

It will depend on what State you move too, how quickly you get comfortable. We lived in Texas for 2 years and I never once drove our car!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Your biggest problem isn't going to be you but everyone else trying to kill you. Ever seen the bicycle masses of Shanghai, or the mini-scooters of Vietnam, or the small car craziness of Mexico or Africa? Well America is a melting pot of crappy drivers from around the world.
Completely agree. Driving an automatic on the other side of the road will be the very least of your worries about driving here..!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by budleigh
Your husband is right about it being easier in an automatic. It does seem strange but I bet you agree when you try it.
I drove in Feb when we were over choosing a house, I took a few days as just being a passenger to get a feel for it. Then about 15 mins with my husband in the car then on my own for an afternoon with the kids! It is stressful, but I know I will get used to it eventually. One of the first things we brought was a sat nav and that does really help to reassure you too. I found the traffic pace was generally slower over there too.
Not looking forward to retaking my driving test though!
Niccy
I second this - get an automatic. The gear stick in a left hand drive car is operated with your right hand - in the UK you use your left so using a manual will probably take even more getting used to. I hated automatics and still am not thrilled with them but it removes one aspect of driving and allows you to concentrate a little more on road positioning, new road signs, traffic lights above lanes etc. etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I too was really scared at the thought of driving over here, my husband is a terrible passenger at the best of times and I didn't want to drive for the first time with him in the car, telling me this that and the other.

I booked an hour's driving with a local driving school once I got out here. It was a total waste of $80 and basically involved a nice chat about the area with the guy who took me out. It was a breeze and did come very naturally I don't know what I was so worried about.

However, confidence wise it was probably well worth the money
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:06 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

...flipping them off when they go "Tut, tut!"
It should be noted that they seem to take 'hand signals' a lot more seriously here, so I tend to use them strategically and for maximum effect - they are not to be wasted on trivial infringments
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a doddle, it'll come naturally, don't worry about it as you'll only psych yourself up about it.

Plus if something scares you, just close your eyes, you'll fit right in.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut

[1] Yes, I occasionally do that.
I did that for a while too, that and grabbing the hand brake...I know, crazy, but I still use it.

My only problem was heading to the passenger side of the car if I was carrying something to the car of after filling up with petrol because it was so natural, but once inside the car, it's never been a problem.

Round abouts are also easy here, whoever has the biggest car has first priority, if they're about the same, close your eyes and gun the accelerator.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisy30uk
I am really excited by the prospect of relocating to the US but I am petrified of having to drive on the other side of the road!
Karen
Karen:

As an American, I've had the experience of doing it the opposite way. One of the major things to do is -- NO RADIO, CD or MP3-I-pod for the first three months. It can be done, but at first, you have to pay a lot of attention. As noted by others, your REACTIONS will be wrong. You will go to look in the rear view mirror but look out the left window -- but note that and then THINK about it. You will go to move the gear selector and you will break a fingernail on your left hand.

On the stick shift vs automatic -- I concur. I never rent a stick in the UK. Furthermore, automatics are now the norm in the US -- you will not see many stick shift cars.

As for the cracks about American drivers -- I'm amused at the various insults. Americans do them also -- usually the natives blame people from other places, usually immigrants! However, parts of the US do differ -- when one daughter was in school in Cambridge, she told me that one had to forget "defensive driving" and practice "offensive driving." She may have been right. However, driving in Boston on the right side of the road was harder for me than driving in Cornwall on the left side!

There is one thing that I have noted: it seems that Mercedes do not have functioning turn signals.

Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
because you don't have to grapple around the door pocket trying to change gear.
That made me smile -- when I started driving here cars still had the handle to wind down the window, and though I had no problem with shifting with the other hand most of the time, if I had to stamp on the brake in an emergency stop I would always find that British reactions had set in and I had automatically grabbed to the left-hand side and got the window winder in my hand!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:57 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Wankers.
Gotta love those WA drivers!!!!! now I know who it was who flipped me off the other day and shouted "wanker" out the window at me as I was flying off the freeway at 88mph.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.