Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SC- the little engine that could!

SC- the little engine that could!

Old May 28th 2002, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SC- the little engine that could!

Starting a new thread on this one.

The fight is over!

Legal qualified immigrants now rank among the people who can drive in the Palmetto state. Long and winding road it was. They are calling back with how we go about doing it now. Maybe the DMV has some implementation to do?

Gov. Hodges called and let me know it was signed....and get this! they are sending me the pen he used to sign it!

So dash you to the DMV office Petra and Axis..............

zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
Old May 28th 2002, 4:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SC- the little engine that could!

on a good fight and winning the war. You are an inspiration to those in states where they are prohibited from obtaining DL's because of being in an INS category that their state legislatures have overlooked.
Old May 28th 2002, 5:38 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Oops...
Didn't see your posting there right away, Tara!
Yep, the fight is finally over, hurray!!
I wanted to go immediately, but my hubby reminded me
that I don't have the original marriage certificate. (I carry a copy, never know)
Besides, his schedule doesn't allow any visits today, and he still needs to carry me to DMV...
(how's my Southern coming, guys? *grin*)
Anyway, please post any experiences with DMV you might have?
Old May 29th 2002, 1:19 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

DMV apparently was prepared for this, well done!!
Here's info on where you can go, only 16 offices in the state of SC
will process non-US citizens.... starting today!

http://www.scdps.org/oea/nr2002/052802.htm
Old May 29th 2002, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

WOOHOO tara way to go! Sounds like you got something done there I noticed Walterboro SC isn't on that list haha! Guess I will have to go to Charleston if I want an ID card huh?

It is way cool to have SC sort that mess out at last!
Old May 30th 2002, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Just back from Spartanburg DMV. Almost too surreal to put into words.

My husband came on a fiance visa October 2001 and filed for AOS January 2002.

For those of you in this position, here is a quote from the new law{http://www.scstatehouse.net/bills/4670.htm} that applies to you:
.................................................. .....................................
"AND TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON PENDING ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS WHO PRESENTS APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTATION TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY SHALL BE GRANTED A ONE-YEAR EXTENSION OF HIS DRIVER'S LICENSE WHICH IS RENEWABLE ANNUALLY"
.................................................. .......................................

Here is the part of the DMV note of what constitutes appropiate documentation.
.................................................. ..............................................
All applicants will be required to submit a passport with a visa or other valid documents issued by the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Department of State and meet all South Carolina requirements for getting a driver’s license.

Following is a list of the documents that DMV will accept. All documents must be originals. No copies will be accepted.

I-551 With the Heading: Resident Alien Card
I-551 With the Heading: Permanent Resident Card
I-551 With the Heading: Registration Receipt Card
I-94 With other documents
I-20 With other documents
Written verification of current attendance in school
IAP-66 With other documents
Written verification of current employment
I-688B, Employment Authorization Document
I-766, Employment Authorization Card
I-797, Notice of Action Form
I-539, Petition to Change or Extend Status
I-485, Petition to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident
Reception and Placement Program Assurance Form
Passport stamped "I-551 approved"
Passport showing extension of work visa by U.S. Department of Justice (INS)
Passport showing extension of student visa by U. S. Department of Justice (INS)
Passport showing person is a dependent of a person on a work or student visa.

.................................................. ................................................

After we witnessed the clerk turning away one man, it was our turn. He handed over his EAD, SSN, NOAs, passport (with fiance visa and I-94, which by this time is expired as he came in last October). Also offered to submit his appointment letter for AOS and pay-stubs and utility bills. The clerk took only the passport, EAD, SSN and NOAs and refused to take anything else.

The woman went to her passport scanner and came back with the bad news that his visa had expired and he was not eligible.
Here is where is starts to get hard to explain. Even the greenest newbie here has more marbles than Spartanburg DMV.

So we asked to talk to the supervisor. We made our way to Kathy Pearson's office. She agreed he was not eligible because he had an expired visa. We tried to explain to her the new law which applies to his case. She was begining to get rude, she said that she hadn't read the new memo (and didn't care), but expired visa means no DL. We insisted that we followed the making of this law from begining to end and insisted that she contact her supervisors for advice. She won't do that. We said she could call the Governor's office, the Congressman's office or the Senator who sponsored the bill, she said that she didn't know them and advised that there was a pay-phone in the waiting hall if we wanted to call those people and waste our time.

We took her advice seriously and spent the next half-hour at the payphone. She got called back by these people and became a little more sensible. After faxing our documents back and forth between Columbia DMV and her office and talking over the phone and consulting every clerk in the office guess what she decided?

That his AP was all he needed!!!! Nowhere is it even listed! We only pulled the AP out at the end of the day to confuse her and did confuse her. So, remember all you need to get a DL is AP, with the ability to confuse them. I promise it won't be hard with Kathy in Spartanburg Office. And we suceeded on both counts.

They were so flustered they forgot to even ask for proof of residence in SC.

We are still laughing about the whole thing. There was even one point where she pointed to the NOA where it says "approved pet." . She thought it was for my pet! Really!

We could go on and on! But you had to be there.

Oh we are going to be sooooo bored when the INS is not in our lives

Let us know your experiences with the Driving Lessons
Old May 31st 2002, 2:32 pm
Mrs. Yank

FRUSTRATION, FRUSTRATION!!

My husband and I went to the North Augusta DMV office this morning, I was all ready to take the tests.
We were there early and could walk up to the counter right away, and we presented all the required documents.

And then it happened... it started all over again... my worst nightmare!

- Your visa has expired,
- We cannot take your EAD
- or your Social Security Card because it reads 'Valid for work only',
bla, bla, etc., etc.

I just couldn't believe this was happening...
We tried to explain that there was a new law, and to my surprise they actually knew about it.
The woman 'helping' us said she took a class about it last Wednesday!! But she didn't change her song, though.

Okay, we politely requested to talk to the manager, Sharon. She made us step aside, while she went back to her office
and made a phone call (we suggested she call the main office) and the woman 'helping' us talked on the phone as well.

Then, we were called into a seperate interview room, and Sharon told us that the person that could provide her
with the new information was not in the office, nor was her boss. She gave us her name, took our phone numbers,
and said that someone would contact us. Finally she told us she was sorry she couldn't help us.

So.... they made me leave... empty handed.
I still have no DL and my Dutch licence is expiring today.
I'm very sad, frustrated and angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Petra; May 31st 2002 at 2:34 pm.
Old May 31st 2002, 4:38 pm
Mrs. Yank

The story Goes On...

Okay, angry, sad and frustrated... what to do?
Well, I called Senator Tommy Moore.

Within the next half hour I was in a three way telephone conversation,
With Ms. Adams from DMV Columbia main office, and someone in Senator Moore's office.
I answered all Ms. Adams' questions and it was established that I DO have the right papers,
and that I'm eligible for a drivers license.

Ms. Adams promised me to call the North Augusta DMV field office, and sure enough,
after about 10 minutes I got a call back from them, asking when I wanted to come take the test...

We made an appointment for 3.30 this afternoon.
Wish me luck? *S*
Old May 31st 2002, 5:41 pm
Mrs. Yank

P.S. Forgot to tell you what the key document was in my case...

*S* you're not gonna believe this *S*

The INS cash register receipt!!
Old May 31st 2002, 7:20 pm
Dave And Emily

Petra wrote news:[email protected]:

> The story Goes On...
    >
    > Okay, angry, sad and frustrated... what to do? Well, I called Senator Tommy Moore.
    >
    > Within the next half hour I was in a three way telephone conversation, With Ms.
    > Adams from DMV Columbia main office, and someone in Senator Moore's office. I
    > answered all Ms. Adams' questions and it was established that I DO have the right
    > papers, and that I'm eligible for a drivers license.
    >
    > Ms. Adams promised me to call the North Augusta DMV field office, and sure enough,
    > after about 10 minutes I got a call back from them, asking when I wanted to
    > come take the test...
    >
    > We made an appointment for 3.30 this afternoon. Wish me luck? *S*
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Petra
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Congrats, Petra - and good luck! Dave (a future SC drivers license applicant).

Old May 31st 2002, 10:09 pm
Mrs. Yank

WATCH OUT, SHE'S GOT IT!!!

We're just back from our visit to DMV in North Augusta, here's the story:

When My husband and I walked into the building, we met Sharon McBride (the person that had sent me away this morning, and it was her that called me back after the phone call with DMV head office) and she told us to walk right up to the counter. The clerk was just done with someone else, so we had to wait for about 30 seconds *S*

Without either of us saying a word, she immediately pulled up my application and started filling out more paperwork. I did the eye test, and after paying $2 I was directed to the space to take the computer test. When I was done, we walked right back to the counter again, ignoring the considerable line again. My husband told me that she made copies of everything (marriage license, EAD, Social Security Card) and she returned the originals while I was taking the computer test) She processed the test results (I missed ONE question, duh *S*) she handed me a folder and told us to pull up behind the building for the road test.

There was Sharon again! She personally took my road test. I didn't do great, I totally messed up the parallel parking, but after I had parked behind the building again, she told me that I passed the test! So, back to the counter again. We payed $12.50 and my picture was taken, and a few minutes later I held my license, still warm from the machine...

Wonderful!!
Old Jun 1st 2002, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

axis is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG!!!!!

I've been without my PC for a little while, needed repairs..

Can't believe everything that has happened in such a short time.

Tara & Petra.. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Amazing, however I'm sorry to hear that you had a little difficulty still in getting your DL, but you MADE IT!!! Wonderful...

I will attempt to get mine in the next few weeks, going to take a few printouts of the bill and all the usual INS stuff (including my INS cash register receipt!! )

I'll let you all know how it goes..

meantime, THANK YOU!!
Old Jun 1st 2002, 6:20 pm
Dave And Emily

Petra wrote news:[email protected]:

> WATCH OUT, SHE'S GOT IT!!!
    >
    > We're just back from our visit to DMV in North Augusta, here's the story:
    >
    > When My husband and I walked into the building, we met Sharon McBride (the
    > person that had sent me away this morning, and it was her that called me back
    > after the phone call with DMV head office) and she told us to walk right up to
    > the counter. The clerk was just done with someone else, so we had to wait for
    > about 30 seconds *S*
    >
    > Without either of us saying a word, she immediately pulled up my application and
    > started filling out more paperwork. I did the eye test, and after paying $2 I was
    > directed to the space to take the computer test. When I was done, we walked right
    > back to the counter again, ignoring the considerable line again. My husband told me
    > that she made copies of everything (marriage license, EAD, Social Security Card)
    > and she returned the originals while I was taking the computer test) She processed
    > the test results (I missed ONE question, duh *S*) she handed me a folder and told
    > us to pull up behind the building for the road test.
    >
    > There was Sharon again! She personally took my road test. I didn't do great, I
    > totally messed up the parallel parking, but after I had parked behind the building
    > again, she told me that I passed the test! So, back to the counter again. We payed
    > $12.50 and my picture was taken, and a few minutes later I held my license, still
    > warm from the machine...
    >
    > Wonderful!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Petra
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Great news, Petra - cogratulations! Dave.

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 1:20 pm
Andy Platt

"Petra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > WATCH OUT, SHE'S GOT IT!!!

> There was Sharon again! She personally took my road test. I didn't do great, I
    > totally messed up the parallel parking, but after I had parked behind the building
    > again, she told me that I passed the test! So, back

The law allows women are allowed to mess up the parallel parking test, otherwise no
woman would be able to get a driver's license!

Sorry for the cheap jibe; in fact my wife is a much better parallel parker than I am!
My excuse is that when I learnt to drive (this was in the UK) parallel parking wasn't
part of the test (they introduced it a few years later). I am, however, an excellent
reverser-round-the-corner and three-point-turner!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

axis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I have a question before I get my paperwork ready and head off to the DMV!

I never had a full DL back in England.., I was driving on a Provisional (with my brother in the car who has a full licence), but never got around to doing my full DL test.

I understand that I must hold a beginners permit here in SC for 180 days before I can get a full DL.

Is there any way you think to apply for the full DL instead?

or am I pushing my luck? )

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.