Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saw the driving to end all driving...

Saw the driving to end all driving...

Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saw the driving to end all driving...

and it's a pretty funny story too, in parts, had everyone in work in stitches today

Driving back from Little Rock yesterday afternoon, I am happily driving along, being careful to observe the speed limit as I see like a million people being stopped on the way, cops on the roadside everywhere.... anyways for what seemed like 50 miles or so, there is this black truck driving everyone nuts as he is driving in fast lane and going slow, so people would overtake him on the inside and he would then do the same and get back out... anyways... I once again find myself behind him and see a cop in the distance, and he of course slows down as do I... two seconds later I see flashing lights behind me and think oh shit what have I done.... So I stop and he comes over and asks me to get out of my car and go into his, as I do so I step out of the car and the buckle on my sandal breaks, I step out of my shoe, trip and fall flat on my face It gets worse, he is standing there staring at me like I am an alien, I get into his car, and am so bloody nervous that my elbow slams into his computer on the dash and almost knocks the damn thing off. Course by this point I am sure he thinks I am a drunk lunatic.

Long story short he tells me off for following the truck too closely or something and I explain blah blah and he says well ma'am I can tell you are not having a good day and clearly you dont have air in your car (lol) so I am not going to give you a ticket, only a warning. Course I still have my UK license as they have recently changed the rules here and you only get TN license now if you are a permanent resident so he observes I am from Scotland and asks me if Scottish people can read English. Scary. I tell him yes, and he actually makes me READ OUT the warning, to prove I can read what it says on the warning. Can you bloody well believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, he did have a sense of humour I suppose - as I got out of the car my shoe broke again and he said "ma'am with the money you have saved by not getting a ticket today I suggest you purchase yourself some new shoes"

Now the scary part. I see him again, 20 or so miles down the road, he is by this time about 6 or 7 cars in front of me, and I couldn't see clearly what happened but he obviously decides to go and sit in the grassy verge in the middle of the highways to observe and just appeared to suddenly brake and pull in, causing every car behind him to slam their brakes too. I had more than plenty room to stop, but the giant SUV bheind me unfortunately did not, and to avoid hitting me, he had to swerve off the road an dinto the grass. To say I was relieved to be back in Memphis in one piece is an understatement!

And, on a completely different note - help me out here - what the hell is the stuff that I saw people taking in Texas at a concert, it was in little tins like Altoids, and they would put it on their bottom gum, and not really chew it and then spit it out and apparently seemed to be getting some kind of high from it. LOL. These generally tended to be dungaree wearing males

Last edited by Lesley1020; Sep 8th 2004 at 4:22 am.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saw the driving to end all driving...

I'm so sorry you had such a bad time driving. I can't believe the stupidity of some people. It is pretty scary when a police officer doesn't have the faintest idea that someone from Scotland can understand English. I truly feel like you should contact somebody about this. Hey how about contacting CNN and having them do a poll....How many redneck cops know that english is spoken elsewhere? Should be interesting. Anyway, glad you made it home safe.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
And, on a completely different note - help me out here - what the hell is the stuff that I saw people taking in Texas at a concert, it was in little tins like Altoids, and they would put it on their bottom gum, and not really chew it and then spit it out and apparently seemed to be getting some kind of high from it. LOL. These generally tended to be dungaree wearing males

I met a guy from Austria a couple of weeks ago when my brother and I were touring Scotland on our motorbikes, in Inverness, he had this thing that he put in his gum and we asked him what it was as we thought it was chewing tobacco, he said it was tabacco but you just let it sit in your gum and all the nicotine comes out of it and gives you a high, maybe that was what they had.

My friend would probably agree with the redneck cop as he says we don't speak English either, I say the Scottish version is best, maybe he was just testing your eyesight though?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:23 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
I met a guy from Austria a couple of weeks ago when my brother and I were touring Scotland on our motorbikes, in Inverness, he had this thing that he put in his gum and we asked him what it was as we thought it was chewing tobacco, he said it was tabacco but you just let it sit in your gum and all the nicotine comes out of it and gives you a high, maybe that was what they had.

My friend would probably agree with the redneck cop as he says we don't speak English either, I say the Scottish version is best, maybe he was just testing your eyesight though?

Definetly chewing tobacco, I don’t recommend anyone actually try it, back in 1994 I tried the shite and I have never quite got over the trauma.

If you insist on trying it, buy Copenahgen, it the strongest and the baddest chew in the world, it’ll make your head spin and open all bodily sphincters almost instantaneously, you will be guaranteed never to have the desire try it again.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I must add, that chewing tobacco can cause cancer. Just a thought.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:03 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I must add, that chewing tobacco can cause cancer. Just a thought.

the worst kind of cancer too, mouth, gum, throat, neck, stomach and bowel cancer as well as tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath and the danger of someone drinking your spit.

(most chewers will spit in a can or opaque bottle while indoors...if you have a mate that chews and you fancy a quick swig of a drink...don't take his...it might not be the coke you were expecting...personal expereience here folks)

It is estimated that about 40 percent of all major league baseball players and about 30 percent of all minor league baseball players chew tobacco or dip snuff. One study found that about 59 percent (83/141) of major league baseball players that use smokeless tobacco already have lesions that may develop into cancer.
Taken from ivillage.com
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Commonly referred to as "dip" or "chaw" here in Texas. You definitely know what part of Texas you are in when you see the round imprint of the can in the back pocket of a woman's blue jeans!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:08 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Commonly referred to as "dip" or "chaw" here in Texas. You definitely know what part of Texas you are in when you see the round imprint of the can in the back pocket of a woman's blue jeans!

NASTY! 'dipping' in my mind is a pretty rank habit

not sure about the north-east but its pretty popular around these parts....

its also big in scandinavia - i was initially introduced to it in denmark and sweden
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The 'smokeless' chewing tobacco used to be available some years ago in the UK and was/is called 'Skoal'.

I believe it was banned in Britain because of the high incidence of mouth/oral cancers but it is obviously still popular in certain parts of the US.