British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Savings advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/savings-advice-770928/)

alihouse Sep 8th 2012 11:44 am

Savings advice

Hi, can anyone share their experience?

We have just transferred our savings from UK and would like to put money away for the kids, I am thinking around $10000

However I can't find any accounts that make any interest! I really can't get my head around how savings work over here, is it more usual to make investments in stock than have a simple savings / bond account?

Does anyone know what the nearest equivalents are to an ISA or a bond, I was hoping to make a few percent interest at least.

Just wondered if anyone could share any advice before I visit a financial adviser and pay a lot in fees???

Thanks, Alison

ian-mstm Sep 8th 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Savings advice

Originally Posted by alihouse (Post 10270186)
However I can't find any accounts that make any interest!

Take a look at a CD - certificate of deposit.

Ian

Bob Sep 8th 2012 1:36 pm

CD...but the rates are shit these days.

sir_eccles Sep 8th 2012 2:59 pm

If you want to save long term for the kids as in college fund, look into what is known as a 529. It's a type of investment account like a 401k. Better return than savings accounts.

fatbrit Sep 8th 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10270403)
If you want to save long term for the kids as in college fund, look into what is known as a 529. It's a type of investment account like a 401k. Better return than savings accounts.

I think there's a lot more to be said for using a Roth IRA as the container. 529s are very restrictive.

Bob Sep 8th 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10270403)

Still better to save for one's retirement as you'll be retired longer than they're in college and they'd be eligible for more scholarships/grants/loans if they didn't have college funds :/

fatbrit Sep 8th 2012 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10270432)
Still better to save for one's retirement as you'll be retired longer than they're in college and they'd be eligible for more scholarships/grants/loans if they didn't have college funds :/

With a Roth, you get the option of using the funds either way.

nun Sep 9th 2012 4:02 am

You won't find the same guaranteed interest rate accounts in the US that you get in the UK. CDs are the closest equivalent to UK savings bonds, but the rates are far lower. There also is 't anything like and ISA. The closest thing is a ROTH IRA, but that is for retirement savings and there are restrictions on withdrawals before 59.5.

Your best bet is to open an account with a low cost firm like Vanguard or Fidelity and invest in a mix of equity and bond index funds.

fatbrit Sep 9th 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by nun (Post 10271015)
The closest thing is a ROTH IRA, but that is for retirement savings and there are restrictions on withdrawals before 59.5.

It's more multi-purpose since you can always withdraw the capital without penalty.

nun Sep 9th 2012 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10271059)
It's more multi-purpose since you can always withdraw the capital without penalty.

Yes, I didn't want to get into detail as I don't know if the OP's income will actually allow her to contribute to a ROTH and the max annual contribution would probably be $5k. But in general ROTH IRAs are an excellent way to save money for UK expats in the USA because their gains and withdrawals are tax free in the US and the UK. You can get at your contributions at anytime without tax or penalty, but any gains are subject to fairly complex distribution rules and potentially early distribution penalties.

For now I think the best way for the OP to proceed is to read the wiki over at http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page and open a regular investment account with Vanguard.

sunnysideup Sep 9th 2012 11:06 pm

x2 on the Vanguard account. I have a 401k, IRA and a general savings account (for everything I can't put in tax free) with them. There are some good dependable mutual funds in there with low fees. My savings are mostly in: the Wellington fund (60/40 stocks/bonds), Wellesley (dividend stocks and bonds) and the Total bond market index fund. These three came through the past decade pretty well considering all the shit we've been through.

MarylandNed Sep 10th 2012 12:19 pm

I have invested in 529 plans for my kids and have so far been happy with the returns and the tax advantages. I would recommend trying to avoid or minimize your dependence on parent/student loans to pay for college. One version of the 529 plan allows you to lock in at today's tuition rates. This can be a deal as tuition increases usually outpace inflation. Whether a 529 plan (or any other investment) is right for you, I cannot say as I don't know your financial situation and, even if I did, I'm not a financial expert. Consider consulting with a financial adviser.