Savings

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice
Default Savings

How much money would we need to actually move back to the UK from the US? Does the UK spousal visa ask you to have a certain amount in savings? I didn't read anything in the documents about that but wasn't sure. Do I actually need a job over there first before I can bring my husband to the UK? We would be living with family first before we found jobs etc. Would my family be a co-sponsor for my husband.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Savings

Although as you know they are considering bringing in a minimum like the US has, atm this is not the case, but I believe they would look for you to have enough savings to last 6 months at least.

If you draw up a budget of what your expenses will be per month, given that you will be staying with family, and be generous rather than stingey, and this shows that you have plenty, I think you should be OK. You can present this as a spreadsheet to send with the Spousal visa application.

As a safety net you might also ask a close family member to co-sponsor you. All they have to do is write a letter to say they will be willing to help you out if necessary (well really your husband since you and your son are entitled to benefits). And they'll need to show bank statements/letter from employer/payslips etc.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice

Thanks Squirrel we are hoping to aim for March next year before the new rules go into effect but if we don't then we will have to go off the income requirements they set. Hopefully they won't require you to have employment with these new rules.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NatalieLucy View Post
Thanks Squirrel we are hoping to aim for March next year before the new rules go into effect but if we don't then we will have to go off the income requirements they set. Hopefully they won't require you to have employment with these new rules.
Yes hopefully they would allow for returning expats with foreign spouses and have a savings amount that can be used in lieu of income. Mind you I hope it will not be as high as the US requirement of 3 x the 1.25% annual Federal Poverty Level! Even if it is and you cannot achieve it, they may also allow for co-sponsors like the US does too and I know many people go that route.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I actually went through Argos on line and roughly priced out every thing i might need. Then i added on a car,deposit on a house,set up for telephones,tv's,insurances etc etc That give us a rough idea of how much we will need.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass View Post
I actually went through Argos on line and roughly priced out every thing i might need. Then i added on a car,deposit on a house,set up for telephones,tv's,insurances etc etc That give us a rough idea of how much we will need.
Well I was thinking most of that kinda thing I would eventually save and purchase through paychecks there. I think money for a few months rent and utilities plus living expenses should be adequate for after we get jobs and move out of my parents house.