Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saving Jessica Lynch 'what a crock?'

Saving Jessica Lynch 'what a crock?'

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:46 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Saving Jessica Lynch 'what a crock?'

Just me but really once you get past credit for serving in the military and going to Iraq what actually is special about having a car crash and spending a week being treated in an Iraq hospital?

i wouldnt mind but they are making such a fuss and i find it hard to belive that this story is the height of bravery by US troops in Iraq. maybe its because she is reasonably pretty and white that its a better story than some mexican permanent resident soldier who gets killed in an actual shooting fight.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

The last I read about it- she came out and said the Pentagon used her 'rescue' for propaganda- quite brave of her I thought.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3251731.stm
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:18 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
The last I read about it- she came out and said the Pentagon used her 'rescue' for propaganda- quite brave of her I thought.

Even CNN reported this and the fact that the rescue may have been over played

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/07/lyn...iew/index.html

I hate to break american hearts but she is not a hero, neither are any of her collegues. They took a wrong turn, had a car accident, she goes to hospital, is not raped, is treated well, they attempt to hand her back but the US army refuses and the next night does a daring rescue mission on an unarmed hospital. She gets a hero's welcome, a million dollar book deal, a film, an army pension for the rest of her life at 22 and house given to her by her city.

John Wayne is probably spinning in his grave.

Patrick
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:32 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

'tis all a bit of a farce really isn't it? But what the hell, no publicity is bad publicity and all that, I'm sure she'll sell a few more books now.

Emm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:37 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
She gets a hero's welcome, a million dollar book deal, a film, an army pension for the rest of her life at 22 and house given to her by her city.
Don't forget the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals she was awarded.
All for cocking it up *

By rights Homer Simpson should be a 5 star general by now !

But well done to her for speaking out over the propaganda.
And for making some money out of it.
The Pentagon and NBC profited (in their respective ways) from her misfortune, why shouldn't she !
Free country and all that bollocks.

(* Actually...how many medals have they given to Dubya ? Must have an armful by now !)
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:40 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie

Actually...how many medals have they given to Dubya ? Must have an armful by now !
We shall call him Mutley!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:58 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saving Jessica Lynch 'what a crock?'

Originally posted by Duncs
Just me but really once you get past credit for serving in the military and going to Iraq what actually is special about having a car crash and spending a week being treated in an Iraq hospital?

i wouldnt mind but they are making such a fuss and i find it hard to belive that this story is the height of bravery by US troops in Iraq. maybe its because she is reasonably pretty and white that its a better story than some mexican permanent resident soldier who gets killed in an actual shooting fight.

regards,

Duncan
I watched the movie last night and thought it was pretty lame. Even on good morning america they asked "so what was the movie about, she only said 5 lines??"...

I guess america has to come out with any kind of good propaganda to make up for the troops getting killed everyday out there still, more troops have been killed since Bush declared a end to the war than in the war its self?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:09 pm
Pagan Sex God

Default Re: Saving Jessica Lynch 'what a crock?'

Originally posted by Yosser
I watched the movie last night and thought it was pretty lame. Even on good morning america they asked "so what was the movie about, she only said 5 lines??"...

I guess america has to come out with any kind of good propaganda to make up for the troops getting killed everyday out there still, more troops have been killed since Bush declared a end to the war than in the war its self?
Did you notice in the gun fight the 17 American Soldiers killed about 300 Iraqi's! The Iragi's had huge machine guns and missed almost all their shots yet almost every american shot fired hit someone!

The Duke lives

Patrick
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:36 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I say.... When we run out of really big blokes... then we send in economicaly statured women that want to teach Kindergaten!

Just a thought!

If it was my daughter I would still be over there taking names and making them beg for their mummies!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:59 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I was half expecting the A team or Macgyver to come on the scene to make a JCB with a roll of duct tape, two pencils and a pocket knife!.... it was shot with the same sort of corney storie line?

What I want to know is, the Iraqi that that trekked half way across the desert with his family to freedom, what happened to her father? he was really upset that he would never see his daughter and grand daughter again, but when the Iraqi's found out who helped the U.S soldiers they blew up his home, the question is what happened to her dad? Do you think he's sat at home feet up in front of the telly, or do you think his somewhere being electrocuted everyday with his testicles in a sling?

selfish if you ask me.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth watch this made for tv war propaganda when there was a football game on ESPN
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Did I detect a flavor of 'Black Hawk Down' directing ?

Rob
Old Nov 10th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lynch beaten by Smart

Sounds like Elizabeth Smart was more of a TV draw.
Smart beats Lynch
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:01 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lynch beaten by Smart

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Smart beats Lynch
Future MTV Celebrity Deathmatch that one.
My money's on the the Smart girl.

How about (Barb) Walters v (Martha) Stewart ?
Stewart hands down.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:35 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Taffyles

No matter how much she says that, 70% of middle America will still believe it was a daring rescue the likes of Delta Force couldn't pull off.

I just can't believe they called it "Saving Jessice Lynch", if I were Speilberg, I'd sue their ass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.