Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saverin expatriation.

Saverin expatriation.

Old May 18th 2012, 11:39 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saverin expatriation.

One sure fire way to annoy Americans is to relinquish US citizenship. I believe that Saverin will be paying the expatriation tax and will continue to pay any US tax due, but that gets lost in the volume of the outrage. Saverin will also find it much easier to invest his money outside the US as a non-US citizen. I have also considered expatriation, not to avoid paying US tax, but to make my taxes less complicated and to make my financial life easier in the UK.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mone...icle-1.1079936
Old May 18th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saverin expatriation.

Originally Posted by nun
One sure fire way to annoy Americans is to relinquish US citizenship. I believe that Saverin will be paying the expatriation tax and will continue to pay any US tax due, but that gets lost in the volume of the outrage. Saverin will also find it much easier to invest his money outside the US as a non-US citizen. I have also considered expatriation, not to avoid paying US tax, but to make my taxes less complicated and to make my financial life easier in the UK.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mone...icle-1.1079936
I love that our esteemed Senator Schumer has proposed a law to punish the filthy tax-dodger that, er, already exists. Not that that sort of thing has ever discouraged Chuck in the past.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do wonder in days past, why folks would try to get to the US to reduce their tax bill...
Old May 18th 2012, 1:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I love that our esteemed Senator Schumer has proposed a law to punish the filthy tax-dodger that, er, already exists. Not that that sort of thing has ever discouraged Chuck in the past.
There is already a 30% tax on income, gains etc paid to NRAs, but US tax treaties usually modify that, so the Schumer law is undermining US treaty obligations.

The thing is it would only come into force if you are expatriating for "tax reasons". So if you go ahead, expatriate and end up paying the greater 30% tax surely that shows that you did not expatriate for tax reasons.........also the greater 30% tax rate will reduce the capital gains that you'll have to pay in your country of residence as you'll have a greater FTC.

Last edited by nun; May 18th 2012 at 2:11 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the perfect riposte to the ever-increasing burden imposed by the IRS by FATCA etc on people who have no intention of trying to avoid their US tax obligations. The outrage is both predictable and hilarious.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is more to do with the shock horror that somebody would not want to be a USC.
Old May 18th 2012, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it is more to do with the shock horror that somebody would not want to be a USC.
Why? The overwhelming majority of people in the world do not want to be USC's either.
Old May 18th 2012, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most USC's assume otherwise.
Old May 18th 2012, 4:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Agreed. It's American Exceptionalism and the "shining city on the hill" thing. If you ever challenge those two holy grails Americans become very defensive and then very aggressive. Its not particular to Americans, if you gave up your UK citizenship some in the UK would react in a similar way, but probably not to the same extent.......it's a hyper sensitive subject for the Americans.

Last edited by nun; May 18th 2012 at 4:42 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Agreed. It's American Exceptionalism and the "shining city on the hill" thing. If you ever challenge those two holy grails Americans become very defensive and then very aggressive. Its not particular to Americans, if you gave up your UK citizenship some in the UK would react in a similar way, but probably not to the same extent.......it's a hyper sensitive subject for the Americans.
It's a similar reaction one sees when the US flag is mistreated in anyway. There are certain people (more than you would normally expect it seems) that take the flag code very seriously.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

This forum is filled with people, not from the USA, who feel otherwise. A US Passport still is - and will be for the foreseeable future - the most valuable document you can possess in the world. Period.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
This forum is filled with people, not from the USA, who feel otherwise. A US Passport still is - and will be for the foreseeable future - the most valuable document you can possess in the world. Period.
The $680.00 (or whatever it is now) is more than it is worth to me right now. Full stop.

I think Boiler is right, it is perceived as an insult to America, more important to some than lost tax.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The $680.00 (or whatever it is now) is more than it is worth to me right now. Full stop.

I think Boiler is right, it is perceived as an insult to America, more important to some than lost tax.
I fully support Saverin's right to take his money elsewhere - American should not be turned into a financial prison. So I suppose I understand both sides of the coin.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
Go on then, I'll bite. What advantages does a US passport have over other, lesser, ones?
Old May 18th 2012, 6:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Go on then, I'll bite. What advantages does a US passport have over other, lesser, ones?
You are spared the temptation of going to Cuba on vacation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.