British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Savannah, Charleston or Jacksonville? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/savannah-charleston-jacksonville-712854/)

Keith S Apr 11th 2011 4:05 am

Savannah, Charleston or Jacksonville?

We are readying ourselves for the move to join family in San Antonio. Just need to receive the Embassy appt. in Sydney etc.
Our son-in-law is now likely to receive a job offer with the choice of locations - Savannah, GA, Charleston SC or Jacksonville FL. This really excites us as we adore both Savannah and Charleston after very short visits to both.
Just wondered if anyone can offer opinions on those places as "nice" cities to live in. We all don't have any "must have" criteria but wonder if any of the three stand out.

steve100100 Apr 11th 2011 4:13 am

Re: Savannah, Charleston or Jacksonville?

Originally Posted by Keith S (Post 9297314)
We are readying ourselves for the move to join family in San Antonio. Just need to receive the Embassy appt. in Sydney etc.
Our son-in-law is now likely to receive a job offer with the choice of locations - Savannah, GA, Charleston SC or Jacksonville FL. This really excites us as we adore both Savannah and Charleston after very short visits to both.
Just wondered if anyone can offer opinions on those places as "nice" cities to live in. We all don't have any "must have" criteria but wonder if any of the three stand out.

I would pick Savannah.

1chumly Apr 11th 2011 11:16 am

Ditto

ian-mstm Apr 11th 2011 12:23 pm

+2.

Ian

tonrob Apr 11th 2011 12:35 pm

I'll go Charleston! :)

MarylandNed Apr 11th 2011 12:37 pm

I have been to Savannah and I really liked it. It has character and charm.

Have never been to Charleston but, from what I've heard from others, I would probably rank it above Jacksonville.

I have been through Jacksonville a few times. It's not particularly interesting except for the fact that it's the largest city by area in the continental US (there are some larger cities by area in Alaska). I suspect the general consensus will be that Jacksonville ranks 3rd out of the 3 cities you mentioned.

However, your son-in-law also has to consider the job offers and the relative merits of each.

nethead Apr 11th 2011 12:58 pm

I loved Charleston to visit but not sure I'd want to live there. Check out this thread on Charleston SC http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=charleston+SC

Married2abrit Apr 11th 2011 5:43 pm

Yes, check out the thread that was mentioned. We have a tea-party governor (she wants to sue over the federal health care stuff). Our former governor had to be sued by a student to force him to accept the federal stimulus money a few years ago. Very much a republican stronghold. Very poor wages. Right to work state as well as an at-will work state. It is a "be thankful you have any kind of job" sort of thing. No collective bargaining for workers. I have a master's degree and 10 years of experience in my field (working with disabled individuals) because of all of the cuts (and furloughs for people still employed) I am now working for minimum wage at a shoe store. But I am grateful I have a job; was out of work for over a year with no unemployment benefits (resigned from a job in good faith went to start my new one and was told 3 days before my start date that a hiring freeze had been enacted due to budget shortfall).

I don't want it to sound like I'm grumbling, but I am trying to give a realistic picture of the town. It is very different from when people come to Charleston on a vacation. Sort of like the posters who post on here wanting to move to Florida based on a two week vacation to Disneyworld and people (rightly so) tell them that living here is not the same as vacationing here.

I have lived near Savannah when I was in graduate school; I wouldn't necessarily live there again. Jacksonville has a lot going for it in terms of its size and amenities. The website citydata might be able to give you more information. Good luck with whatever you decide!

savannah_boy Feb 14th 2012 10:25 pm

ummm sorry I picked up this thread a little late but I have lived in Savannah for nearly 2 years now. Jacksonville is too big and spread out.

Lord_GG_Byron Feb 15th 2012 2:13 am

I'd say Savannah, but I'm a little biased, cause I was born there :P

mikechristina Feb 15th 2012 12:48 pm

Charleston or Savannah ... Jacksonville - give that one a miss. Pretty grubby place if you ask me.

Sheepdip Feb 15th 2012 1:16 pm

Savannah first choice, then Charleston.