Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sausage rolls and Cornish pasties

Sausage rolls and Cornish pasties

Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:00 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sausage rolls and Cornish pasties

I'm want to make English style sausage rolls and pasties.
Can anyone recommend a source for the sausage meat and pastry?
Even a recipe.

Thanks.

(Yes, I did a quick search of the forum.)
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sausage rolls and Cornish pasties

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Even a recipe.

Thanks.

Seems to me that Bob (the moderator) had a recipe for home made sausage, but I can't find it.........
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a locally made sausage which comes close to English sausages and frozen puff pastry, they're really good! When I was over a couple of weeks ago and bought a sausage roll I found the pinkish meat inside really off-putting for some reason...
Old Dec 5th 2011, 9:03 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted a recipe for sausage rolls last year using off the shelf (probably Jimmy Dean's) sage and onion sausage meat and puff pastry. I haven't tried it myself yet, but gave it to an Australian friend and apparently they turn out very well. Pretty simple, just wrap and bake. Check the recipe thread.

Not sure if that translates to pasties, though.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Seems to me that Bob (the moderator) had a recipe for home made sausage, but I can't find it.........
What hacks me off is that I printed it off, kept it for a few weeks, then decided we'd never get around to actually doing it, so I threw it away - probably about 3 days ago!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:58 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby made some sausage rolls a few days ago. The best sausage we have found is the Irish one from whole foods. Can't help with the pastry as we got ours frozen from a local middle eastern supermarket.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ze#post9555991
Page 282 of the above thread was Bob's cheese pasty recipe.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Now you're just taking the piss.

Get some bread rolls, wrap it around your smeghead and just chow down :/
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Even a recipe.

Thanks.

Ah but did you check out the recipe thread in The Lounge?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

We made some sausage rolls the other day using pork sausage meat from Walmart mixed with some paxo sage and onion stuffing (added water to it but didn't cook it before mixing with the meat)
Proportions about 2/3rds meat to 1/3rd stuffing.
Bought pepperidge farm frozen puff pastry sheets.
Defrost pastry, rolled it out a bit, lay sausage meat mixture in the middle. "closed" the pastry over and sealed edge with a bit of water.
Cut into small sausage rolls, add an air slit and wash with a bit of milk.
In oven, about 325 for 15 to 20 mins depending on how big you've made them.
Yummmmmm!!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

At which point does one bring out the Cocker Spaniel?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:14 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

GB F&C?!? .... if ever you're up near FC go to Jimmy C's (they do cheese and onion, Cornish, Chic & mushroom pasties)
For rolls; most use Jimmy Dean sausage and the frozen puff pastry... some brush egg to seal and also on top before baking... or milk I guess.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:19 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I Bob
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:49 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks people. Merry Christmas to you all.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:52 am
I have a comma problem

Thanks people. Merry Christmas to you all.
Et tu, Octavius ...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:56 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Best ever:

Haggis Sausage Rolls

250g haggis (i bought online at Caledonian Kitchen)
250g pork mince
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch sage, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Packet puff pastry

Combine the filling and roll into a sausage shape. Lay onto puff pastry that has been rolled out to about 1/2 cm and roll. Cut into the size of your choice and bake at 180 for about half an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.