British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sausage Rolls!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sausage-rolls-349571/)

Ash UK/US Jan 20th 2006 7:45 pm

Sausage Rolls!!!

With all the talk of pastry and sausage rolls on here lately now I am craving them.

OK now tell me like I am a 2 year old how to make them. I get the idea that Pepperidge farm pastry is the best to use? is there only one kind of PF pastry? (I haven't looked in the freezer section for it yet) and what is the best kind of meat to use? I don't know of anywhere local that sells English style sausage/meat. Is it just a case of rapping the meat in the pastry and throwing it in the oven?

As you might of guessed I never made SR's before it was much easier to go to Greggs and buy them... Mmmm Greggs.

Ash :)

TruBrit Jan 20th 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Sausage Rolls!!!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
As you might of guessed I never made SR's before it was much easier to go to Greggs and buy them... Mmmm Greggs.

LOL I used to buy mine also .... this is from the naked chef no less....good luck...I'm hungry for some now :p

Cooking time: 15 - 20 minutes
Preparation time: 25 minutes

Equipment needed
Baking sheet or tray
Rolling pin
A cup and a pastry brush

Ingredients for 12 - 16 rolls you require:
1lb pack of frozen puff pastry. (thawed overnight in the refrigerator)
8 oz sausage meat
salt and ground pepper to season the sausage meat.
1 egg small whipped up in the cup.

What you do is:

Roll out the pastry into a long strip.
Roll out the sausage meat into a long strip half as wide as the pastry.
Place the long strip of sausage meat exactly in the centre of the long strip of pastry.
With a pastry brush paint around the sausage strip lightly with egg-wash.
Fold the pastry over the sausage meat to join at the edges, and make slits in the top with a sharp knife.
Crimp the edges down with a fork and cut the rolls into the lengths required.
Paint the top of the sausage rolls with egg-wash.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes on 450F until golden brown.
Cook at 375F for a further 5 minutes.

Ben Jan 20th 2006 8:06 pm

Jones sausage meat that you can get in the freezer section of the supermarket is pretty good to use.

Ash UK/US Jan 20th 2006 8:07 pm

Is anyone brand of Sausage meat better than another? and is it pre-mushed like the stuff I used to buy back home for making Scotch Eggs.

Thanks for the recipe too :-D

Ash UK/US Jan 20th 2006 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
Jones sausage meat that you can get in the freezer section of the supermarket is pretty good to use.

Sorry you replied while I was typing... Thank you I will look for it next time I go shopping.

TruBrit Jan 20th 2006 8:08 pm

Is anyone brand of Sausage meat better than another? and is it pre-mushed like the stuff I used to buy back home for making Scotch Eggs.

yeah there link sausages down here anyway are a bit spicy and are ok...just get stuffing :D

CarlM Jan 20th 2006 8:16 pm

With all the talk of pastry and sausage rolls on here lately now I am craving them.

OK now tell me like I am a 2 year old how to make them. I get the idea that Pepperidge farm pastry is the best to use? is there only one kind of PF pastry? (I haven't looked in the freezer section for it yet) and what is the best kind of meat to use? I don't know of anywhere local that sells English style sausage/meat. Is it just a case of rapping the meat in the pastry and throwing it in the oven?

Yeeaaah! SEX, DRUGS and SAUSAGE ROLLS!

cutina Jan 20th 2006 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah there link sausages down here anyway are a bit spicy and are ok...just get stuffing :D

thank you thank you thank you
mmmmmmmmmmm
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

peacelover Jan 20th 2006 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
thank you thank you thank you
mmmmmmmmmmm
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Awwww I never heard anyone so excited before about making sausage rolls. :)

geordiegirl2 Jan 20th 2006 8:36 pm

i just used jimmy dean and they turned out pretty good

cutina Jan 20th 2006 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by peacelover
Awwww I never heard anyone so excited before about making sausage rolls. :)

i know.... I'm highly excitable! especially where sausages are concerned :eek: :p

peacelover Jan 20th 2006 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
i know.... I'm highly excitable! especially where sausages are concerned :eek: :p

Oh yes now you are talking, you cannot beat a good sausage, I always say!!!! :o

Lord Lionheart Jan 20th 2006 8:58 pm

We have an English bakery and import store 4 blocks from our house :p
Fresh sausage rolls, pasties, curry pies, steak & kidney pies, treacle tarts, jam tarts, eccles cakes, pork pies etc. etc baked daily :p

peacelover Jan 20th 2006 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
We have an English bakery and import store 4 blocks from our house :p
Fresh sausage rolls, pasties, curry pies, steak & kidney pies, treacle tarts, jam tarts, eccles cakes, pork pies etc. etc baked daily :p

OMG that must be heavenly.

Lord Lionheart Jan 20th 2006 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by peacelover
OMG that must be heavenly.

Rarely go there to be honest. Been here 18 years so don't miss it. I prefer ethnic food but I do get the odd walkers crisps, blackjacks, crunchies, bounties, jelly babies and other stuff. Tea bags are a MUST though, as American ones are just shite, even with 2 or 3 in the tea is as weak as water.