Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 3:49 am
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dgsyd1
Getting away from the Saturday morning shows here, but does anyone else remember some of the old school shows. I used to love the serials on Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space , and Dark Towers .
Yeah! We had Dark Tower and one called Badger Girl or summat
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:48 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space
Wasn't the alien kid in that called Beep Beep and talked and wrote backwards?

I used to love the transporter things in that show. The whole thing was cool and weird.

We had a TV room in our school and we'd all trail up there to sit on the brown carpet with the curtains closed.
We did the same thing. Do you remember the clocks on the screen that used to count down before the show started?

We used to watch Stop, Look and Listen which was narrated by Chris Tarant.

Last edited by rincewind; Mar 3rd 2004 at 4:51 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:00 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.
As Buddha say 'the man who wants for nothing is truly rich'.

Loved that show. The story is based on the parable of Budhas journey across china's i understand it. It was great. I always loved the little commentary at the end when we got that As Buddha say.....

A few years back the BBc got the british voice over guy from monkey to do commentary in that style on the world cup in japan. very funny.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:05 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by lairdside
Oh, I miss "Give My Head Peace" and "The Fast Show".
'This week i have been mostly missing Britain'

'which was nice!'
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:29 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rincewind
We did the same thing. Do you remember the clocks on the screen that used to count down before the show started?
You can see the clocks here on the BBC cult TV page. A lot of the programmes discussed above can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/testcards/

I think Princess of Wales or NC Penguin posted this link a few months ago but it's such a fun site I thought I'd post it again.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't be arsed to read all the other pages but thought I'd wade in with....

The Red Hand Gang (with James Bond Jr III)

and....

The Adventure Game (doogy rev!). Aspidistras have never looked the same to me since.

Cheers,
David.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TISWAS

Lenny Henry and his Trevor McDonut

Do you remember the adult spin-off, O.T.T.??

It was basically an adults version of Tiswas. This was only shown late at night with adult cartoons to allow Dad's to stare at Sally James' breasts
One of the funiest things I can remember about live TV was on TISWAS. They had a section where a kid would tell a joke. In one case a little boy had informed Chris Tarrent that his brother had told him this joke about Sally James. Chris edged him on. So the boy asked him "whats the difference between the M1 and Sally James. Don't know was Chris's reply. At which point the boy replied "not everyone has been up the M1" The funny thing was that the kid really did not get the joke. I remember my dad nearly choking. everything on the TV went quite, and I am sure you could hear the crew in the back pissing themselves
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 8:17 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday morning shows I enjoyed include a cartoon version of the Jackson Five (should I be saying that?), the Harlem Globetrotters, and, not strictly Saturday morning, the Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, which was a black and white Anglo-French series, I loved the theme tune!

Debbie
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:46 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked )

"there's a voice, keeps on calling me
down the road, that's where I'll always be
Every stop I take, I make a new friend
errr........................................
...I'm gone again

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to settle down
Until tomorrow I'll just keep movin' on"
Old Mar 4th 2004, 2:57 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the Littlest Hobo.

How about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Cool show about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

"Down, by the river.......blah, blah"
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:54 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the Littlest Hobo.

How about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Cool show about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

"Down, by the river.......blah, blah"
With the Germanic lip synching Aunt
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:06 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best picture I could find.

The show was What's Up Doc.

You can check out the page I found here.
Thanks for that. That site reminded of me of the Wolves sketch. Two wolves with Cockney accents eating the guest children, very funny