British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Saturday Mornings...nostalgia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/saturday-mornings-nostalgia-213609/)

snorkmaiden Mar 2nd 2004 3:54 pm

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
I used to love Trevor and Simon, think they were on a few Saturday morning shows. Philup Schofield and Gordon the Gopher were big favourites too , Andy Crane and that stupid duck weren't a patch on him! Or Andi Peters. Also will never forget when Toby Anstis was interviewing Aswad and some kid on the phone in asked what Aswad thought about tw@ts!! Toby's face was classic! :D
Swing your pants!

crazi_daizi Mar 2nd 2004 4:30 pm

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Swing your pants!

Yeah!! Ohhh they were classic, that was the Singing Corner wasn't it?! The funniest thing I saw them do was a pi$$ take of the video for a song by Erasure called Stop. Wish I could find it somewhere it was great!! And that bizarre thing they did with Pot Fish and Moon Monkey!..... Ahhhh those were the days, I'm going to have a warm feeling all day now !! :D :D :D

tony_2003 Mar 2nd 2004 6:24 pm

Swap Shop is the earliest I remember...I thought it was the dogs bollocks and Noels perm is the stuff of legends :D
I remember my mum fancied him lol

When I was about 12 my Saturday morning consisted of Going Live (anyone else fancy Sarah Greene?) then Football Focus and Saint and Greavsie "hahahahahahahaha marvelous James! hahahaha" then off to watch the football.

tony_2003 Mar 2nd 2004 6:31 pm

Anyone also remember a character called Simon Perry? Don't think it was going live, Andy Crane presented the show If I remember. He was a buck teeth guy in a red anorak who walked around the studio...he had a strange obsession with cheese. Very funny. I remember during the section where the audience asks a question of the guest he said to Jason Preistley "in America you call them chips...but we call them crisps" and preistley was totally bewildered :D

crazi_daizi Mar 2nd 2004 6:35 pm

Originally posted by tony_2003
Anyone also remember a character called Simon Perry? Don't think it was going live, Andy Crane presented the show If I remember. He was a buck teeth guy in a red anorak who walked around the studio...he had a strange obsession with cheese. Very funny. I remember during the section where the audience asks a question of the guest he said to Jason Preistley "in America you call them chips...but we call them crisps" and preistley was totally bewildered :D
Wasn't that Norman? He did the Twix adverts?

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 6:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best picture I could find.

The show was What's Up Doc.

Simon Perry

By far the funniest character. Played by Stephen Taylor Woodrow, he was an anorak with a cheese obsession. Every so often, he would nominate Cheese Rangers, and award them diploma scrolls, in a segment introduced by the following song (to the tune of In The Navy):

‘It’s the Scrollies, so it must be Saturday,

I’ve got the Scrollies, and they will not go away!’

He once had a supermodel girlfriend called Hilda. Simon Perry was shown leaving What’s Up Doc? shortly before the series ended.

The Simon Perry character was later seen on a series of Twix adverts under the name Norm (‘a break from the Norm’).
You can check out the page I found here.

ladyofthelake Mar 2nd 2004 7:30 pm

I mentioned Champion the Wonderhorse in the first post you flump :D

We are branching out beyond our Saturday mornings now it seems, how about Mr. Ben, the Flumps, Magic Roundabout, Willow the Wisp.

I remember Mr Ben and the Flumps were on around lunchtime - either before or after Pebble Mill.

What was the show Itsy and Bitsy were on called and what about Fingerbobs.

Fingermouse, Fingermouse
I am a sort of wondermouse
A hit, a miss, A blundermouse
Fingermouse, that's me
I am a mouse called Fingermouse
A mouse with guts and nerve
I get past cats so easily
with my famous body swerve

I loved that show!!!

The show with Itsy and Bitsy on it was called Paperplay (had to do a bit of research to find that, couldn't remember the name myself) From the
TV Cream site:
WE'VE BEEN chastised, and rightly so, for not including this redoubtable ten-minuter. MAGPIE's SUSAN STRANKS was "in command" doing craft stuff with card, paper, tissue, glitter and glue etc., but the real stars were Itsy and Bitsy, two squeaky/growly puppet "spiders" (actually just gloves with a pom-pom stuck on the back) who came down a woolen web at the start and caused the hapless Stranks much hassle in the "helping" department. Also, oft-forgotten Boris the mute ladybird and Cardew The Caterpillar. Earlier show TINGA AND TUCKER did a similar interfering with presenter act, but this was far superior. Four spin-off books available on how to make stuff – cardboard castles, Norman swords and helmets etc.

..."NO, PUT THE GLITTER DOWN, IT'S NOT FOR THAT!"
http://www.toonhound.com/itsybitsy.jpg

Fingermouse was one of my all time favourites. In fact most of my favourites seemed to be on at the lunch time slots, did I ever go to school?

Patrick Mar 2nd 2004 7:32 pm

Swing your pants!

I have a friend called Jeff here in America and I call him picklin' Jeff. I have never explained why I call it him and he has never asked, most people just say "he's English"

Picklin' Jeff - wonderful

Patrick

Jabba1 Mar 2nd 2004 9:07 pm

Originally posted by DaveC
Anyone remember Manimal about the guy who transformed into animals to solve crimes?

It starred Simon MacCorkindale, Melody Anderson and Michael D Roberts. As I recall, the Music was composed by Alan Silvestri, the same composer who later did the music for Forrest Gump. The series revolved around Dr. Jonathan Chase, a millionaire playboy with the ability to transform into any animal he wishes. Don't ask how he manages this feat, it was never clearly explained. The series was marred by pre-digital SFX. Chase was supposedly able to turn into any animal at all, but he only ever turned into a black panther. This was probably due to a limited SFX budget, and no computer technology available back then. This series would have been much better if it had been done a decade later with the latest technology to enhance Chase's animal transformations.

GJB Mar 2nd 2004 9:54 pm

I'm sure that at some point in my life I saw a show called "The Red Hand Gang" about a kid getting kidnapped and loads of other kids solving the crime. I really enjoyed it, but everyone I've ever mentioned it to say they've never heard of it... did I dream it?

GJB

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 9:59 pm

Originally posted by GJB
I'm sure that at some point in my life I saw a show called "The Red Hand Gang" about a kid getting kidnapped and loads of other kids solving the crime. I really enjoyed it, but everyone I've ever mentioned it to say they've never heard of it... did I dream it?

GJB
Nope, you didn't dream it. I saw it too. My wife also has never heard of it though.

The only thing I remember was the little coloured kid with glasses and bright yellow shorts and the theme tune:

"Lah la lah.... la lar luh...... Luh la, luh, luh, luh, luh."

I know that doesn't help but it's in my head right now and will be for days. Thanks :mad:

:D :D

DaveC Mar 3rd 2004 1:17 am

Originally posted by Jabba1
It starred Simon MacCorkindale, Melody Anderson and Michael D Roberts. As I recall, the Music was composed by Alan Silvestri, the same composer who later did the music for Forrest Gump. The series revolved around Dr. Jonathan Chase, a millionaire playboy with the ability to transform into any animal he wishes. Don't ask how he manages this feat, it was never clearly explained. The series was marred by pre-digital SFX. Chase was supposedly able to turn into any animal at all, but he only ever turned into a black panther. This was probably due to a limited SFX budget, and no computer technology available back then. This series would have been much better if it had been done a decade later with the latest technology to enhance Chase's animal transformations.
Cheers for that Jabba1. I did a bit of digging and found this page:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/5146/manimal.html

Apparently he inherited his powers from his father!

snorkmaiden Mar 3rd 2004 2:02 am

Originally posted by GJB

GJB
You are not alone, we remember the Red Hand Gang and my husband loved it.

dgsyd1 Mar 3rd 2004 2:09 am

Getting away from the Saturday morning shows here, but does anyone else remember some of the old school shows. I used to love the serials on Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space , and Dark Towers .

snorkmaiden Mar 3rd 2004 3:01 am

Oh man I used to love them. :D

There was one I watched before the boy from space I think - something to do with peregrine falcons and their eggs.

We had a TV room in our school and we'd all trail up there to sit on the brown carpet with the curtains closed. Brilliant it was.

Here - got a link to all the Look and Read Stories.

Look and Read