British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Saturday Mornings...nostalgia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/saturday-mornings-nostalgia-213609/)

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 9:59 pm

Originally posted by GJB
I'm sure that at some point in my life I saw a show called "The Red Hand Gang" about a kid getting kidnapped and loads of other kids solving the crime. I really enjoyed it, but everyone I've ever mentioned it to say they've never heard of it... did I dream it?

GJB
Nope, you didn't dream it. I saw it too. My wife also has never heard of it though.

The only thing I remember was the little coloured kid with glasses and bright yellow shorts and the theme tune:

"Lah la lah.... la lar luh...... Luh la, luh, luh, luh, luh."

I know that doesn't help but it's in my head right now and will be for days. Thanks :mad:

:D :D

DaveC Mar 3rd 2004 1:17 am

Originally posted by Jabba1
It starred Simon MacCorkindale, Melody Anderson and Michael D Roberts. As I recall, the Music was composed by Alan Silvestri, the same composer who later did the music for Forrest Gump. The series revolved around Dr. Jonathan Chase, a millionaire playboy with the ability to transform into any animal he wishes. Don't ask how he manages this feat, it was never clearly explained. The series was marred by pre-digital SFX. Chase was supposedly able to turn into any animal at all, but he only ever turned into a black panther. This was probably due to a limited SFX budget, and no computer technology available back then. This series would have been much better if it had been done a decade later with the latest technology to enhance Chase's animal transformations.
Cheers for that Jabba1. I did a bit of digging and found this page:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/5146/manimal.html

Apparently he inherited his powers from his father!

snorkmaiden Mar 3rd 2004 2:02 am

Originally posted by GJB
I'm sure that at some point in my life I saw a show called "The Red Hand Gang" about a kid getting kidnapped and loads of other kids solving the crime. I really enjoyed it, but everyone I've ever mentioned it to say they've never heard of it... did I dream it?

GJB
You are not alone, we remember the Red Hand Gang and my husband loved it.

dgsyd1 Mar 3rd 2004 2:09 am

Getting away from the Saturday morning shows here, but does anyone else remember some of the old school shows. I used to love the serials on Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space , and Dark Towers .

snorkmaiden Mar 3rd 2004 3:01 am

Oh man I used to love them. :D

There was one I watched before the boy from space I think - something to do with peregrine falcons and their eggs.

We had a TV room in our school and we'd all trail up there to sit on the brown carpet with the curtains closed. Brilliant it was.

Here - got a link to all the Look and Read Stories.

Look and Read

crazi_daizi Mar 3rd 2004 3:49 am

Originally posted by dgsyd1
Getting away from the Saturday morning shows here, but does anyone else remember some of the old school shows. I used to love the serials on Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space , and Dark Towers .
Yeah! We had Dark Tower and one called Badger Girl or summat

rincewind Mar 3rd 2004 4:48 am

Look & Read, especially The Boy From Space
Wasn't the alien kid in that called Beep Beep and talked and wrote backwards?

I used to love the transporter things in that show. The whole thing was cool and weird.

We had a TV room in our school and we'd all trail up there to sit on the brown carpet with the curtains closed.
We did the same thing. Do you remember the clocks on the screen that used to count down before the show started?

We used to watch Stop, Look and Listen which was narrated by Chris Tarant.

Duncs Mar 3rd 2004 5:00 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.
As Buddha say 'the man who wants for nothing is truly rich'.

Loved that show. The story is based on the parable of Budhas journey across china's i understand it. It was great. I always loved the little commentary at the end when we got that As Buddha say.....

A few years back the BBc got the british voice over guy from monkey to do commentary in that style on the world cup in japan. very funny.

Duncs Mar 3rd 2004 5:05 am

Originally posted by lairdside
Oh, I miss "Give My Head Peace" and "The Fast Show".
'This week i have been mostly missing Britain'

'which was nice!'

DaveC Mar 3rd 2004 12:29 pm

Originally posted by rincewind
We did the same thing. Do you remember the clocks on the screen that used to count down before the show started?
You can see the clocks here on the BBC cult TV page. A lot of the programmes discussed above can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/testcards/

I think Princess of Wales or NC Penguin posted this link a few months ago but it's such a fun site I thought I'd post it again.

datcha Mar 3rd 2004 2:11 pm

Couldn't be arsed to read all the other pages but thought I'd wade in with....

The Red Hand Gang (with James Bond Jr III)

and....

The Adventure Game (doogy rev!). Aspidistras have never looked the same to me since.

Cheers,
David.

hhmaker Mar 3rd 2004 2:39 pm

TISWAS

Lenny Henry and his Trevor McDonut :D

Do you remember the adult spin-off, O.T.T.??

It was basically an adults version of Tiswas. This was only shown late at night with adult cartoons to allow Dad's to stare at Sally James' breasts :D
One of the funiest things I can remember about live TV was on TISWAS. They had a section where a kid would tell a joke. In one case a little boy had informed Chris Tarrent that his brother had told him this joke about Sally James. Chris edged him on. So the boy asked him "whats the difference between the M1 and Sally James. Don't know was Chris's reply. At which point the boy replied "not everyone has been up the M1" The funny thing was that the kid really did not get the joke. I remember my dad nearly choking. everything on the TV went quite, and I am sure you could hear the crew in the back pissing themselves

dbark Mar 3rd 2004 8:17 pm

Saturday morning shows I enjoyed include a cartoon version of the Jackson Five (should I be saying that?), the Harlem Globetrotters, and, not strictly Saturday morning, the Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, which was a black and white Anglo-French series, I loved the theme tune!

Debbie :)

jayr Mar 3rd 2004 9:46 pm

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked :D )

"there's a voice, keeps on calling me
down the road, that's where I'll always be
Every stop I take, I make a new friend
errr........................................
...I'm gone again

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to settle down
Until tomorrow I'll just keep movin' on"

rincewind Mar 4th 2004 2:57 am

I used to love the Littlest Hobo.

How about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Cool show about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

"Down, by the river.......blah, blah"

jayr Mar 4th 2004 4:54 am

I used to love the Littlest Hobo.

How about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Cool show about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

"Down, by the river.......blah, blah"
With the Germanic lip synching Aunt

tony_2003 Mar 4th 2004 5:06 am

This is the best picture I could find.

The show was What's Up Doc.

You can check out the page I found here.
Thanks for that. That site reminded of me of the Wolves sketch. Two wolves with Cockney accents eating the guest children, very funny :D