Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

My hubby and I were just having a conversation about Eastern European folklore (don't ask) and my husband asked if I remembered something that was on kids telly that was dubbed.

I didn't remember it at all but as soon as I heard the word dubbed I immediately thought of The Flashing Blade.

Originally shown on the Beeb in the 1970's I think (A French production) but sliced and diced and turned into a comedy sketch on the saturday morning show On the Waterfront.

"You've got to fight for what you want,
for all that you believe.
It's right to fight for what you want,
to live the way we please.
As long as we have done our best,
and no man can do more.
Then life and love and happiness,
are well worth fighting for."

I'm going to be singing this all morning now, it has since been joined by Champion the Wonder Horse and other Saturday morning classics and will have us reminiscing about childhood telly for the rest of the day no doubt.

The kids these days just don't know what they're missing. All the goodies like Swap Shop, Saturday Morning Superstore, Live and Kicking......

Feel free to sing along and add your favourites. Gordon the Gopher anyone?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Hmmmm,

I remember watching the American show called the "Banana Splits" on Sat morning telly. It was mad...difficult to explain exactly what they were, I think it was four guys dressed in strange costumes and they used to drive around in beach buggies. This must have been in the early 70's.

Of course there was "Tiswas".

There was a British series called the "Double Deckers". One (fat) character was called 'Doughnut', and a very young Pauline Quirke (from Birds of a Feather) was in it.

In the school holidays there was "The White Horses" (or that was the name of the song title. It was from Yugoslavia and dubbed. I remember a Belle and Sebastian - a boy and his dog which I think was a Pyraneian Mountain dog? (My daughter likes a Scottish duo called Belle and Sebastian!).

Also in the school hols they used to have "The Monkees" on the TV and "Casey Jones" about a steam railway driver in the 'Wild' West.

I would sometimes go to the cinema on a Saturday morning as they had special films for kids which was really cheap. We saw films by the "British Film Foundation". I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus! "The Railway Children" was my favourite - the original one with Sally Thomsett and Jenny Agutter.

I'm suddenly feeling so old!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:35 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Gordon the Gopher anyone?
"Squeak ?!"

(Bit of background to those not familiar with him)

After his TV fame >
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/goinglive/

And his fall from grace...
http://www.gordon.cobblers.org/gordon.htm

He then found redemption >
http://web.archive.org/web/200212142....uk/gordon.htm
(Images have gone now, this used to be a site that allowed you to worship at the alter of Gopher)

Before ending up travelling the world with me !
http://www12.brinkster.com/newsticker/gordon.html
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum

I would sometimes go to the cinema on a Saturday morning as they had special films for kids which was really cheap. We saw films by the "British Film Foundation". I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus! ....
I remember that film! I was a member of the "ABC minors" club - Saturday matinee every week, show started at 10 a.m., several short films, and a segment where kids with a birthday would get a prize. I remember sitting in the audience looking at the same "birthday boys" going up every couple of months, used to make me mad.

One Saturday we got there and the place was closed, I was really disappointed. My dad explained it was because an important man was being buried. Didn't really know who Winston Churchill was at the time, but as I grew older I realized why he was so important that the whole country shut down for his funeral.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:07 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
I remember that film! I was a member of the "ABC minors" club - Saturday matinee every week, show started at 10 a.m., several short films, and a segment where kids with a birthday would get a prize. I remember sitting in the audience looking at the same "birthday boys" going up every couple of months, used to make me mad.
Yep I was there. Every Saturday morning.
Used to watch all the kids getting up on stage when it was their birthday, I couldn't wait for my turn.
And when it was I was too scared to go !

Remember one of the films shown - it was on this tropical island and there was this talking shrunken head...? (No really there was.)

A link that will help people remember some things:
http://tv.cream.org/
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

I'm showing my age, but...
SUPERCAR!
Attached Thumbnails Saturday Mornings...nostalgia-andersonsupercar.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus!
Whistle down the Wind 1961 with Hayley Mills
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Brinsley from Aswad was in the Double Deckers too.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Englishmum
I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia.
Liza whats her face that was married to Alvin Stardust was the little girl in that.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:11 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.

That was the late 60s ? I never knew you taught Sunday School Rock
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Monkey but I think it was one of those programmes you either loved or loathed.

I loathed it, my husband loved it. For me it was something you put on in absolute desperation, it was BBC 2 I think and it must have been on around the same time as the news as that is probably what forced me to watch. It was the wierdest of shows.

I loved watching Phillip Schofield when I got in from school in the broomcupboard with Gordon. The bits they did between the shows were always the funniest. Ah nostalgia, listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon on the school bus and then coming in to watch kids telly........ I am so old.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:35 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's a question to everyone else who remember Saturday morning kids shows in the late 70's and early 80's. Were you a Swap Shop or Tiswas person? Must admit, I was a Swap Shop person.
Also does anyone else remember getting up to watch the Satrurday morning shows, and having to sit through OPen University for a while?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:42 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dgsyd1
OK, here's a question to everyone else who remember Saturday morning kids shows in the late 70's and early 80's. Were you a Swap Shop or Tiswas person? Must admit, I was a Swap Shop person.
Also does anyone else remember getting up to watch the Satrurday morning shows, and having to sit through OPen University for a while?
Swap Shop! Good old Noel! Loved that one...watched it every week and so badly wanted to join in. I think this is where my Ebay addiction stemmed from!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.