British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Saturday Mornings...nostalgia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/saturday-mornings-nostalgia-213609/)

snorkmaiden Feb 28th 2004 4:41 pm

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia
 
My hubby and I were just having a conversation about Eastern European folklore (don't ask) and my husband asked if I remembered something that was on kids telly that was dubbed.

I didn't remember it at all but as soon as I heard the word dubbed I immediately thought of The Flashing Blade.

Originally shown on the Beeb in the 1970's I think (A French production) but sliced and diced and turned into a comedy sketch on the saturday morning show On the Waterfront.

"You've got to fight for what you want,
for all that you believe.
It's right to fight for what you want,
to live the way we please.
As long as we have done our best,
and no man can do more.
Then life and love and happiness,
are well worth fighting for."

I'm going to be singing this all morning now, it has since been joined by Champion the Wonder Horse and other Saturday morning classics and will have us reminiscing about childhood telly for the rest of the day no doubt.

The kids these days just don't know what they're missing. All the goodies like Swap Shop, Saturday Morning Superstore, Live and Kicking......

Feel free to sing along and add your favourites. Gordon the Gopher anyone?
:D

Englishmum Feb 28th 2004 5:23 pm

Hmmmm,

I remember watching the American show called the "Banana Splits" on Sat morning telly. It was mad...difficult to explain exactly what they were, I think it was four guys dressed in strange costumes and they used to drive around in beach buggies. This must have been in the early 70's.

Of course there was "Tiswas".

There was a British series called the "Double Deckers". One (fat) character was called 'Doughnut', and a very young Pauline Quirke (from Birds of a Feather) was in it.

In the school holidays there was "The White Horses" (or that was the name of the song title. It was from Yugoslavia and dubbed. I remember a Belle and Sebastian - a boy and his dog which I think was a Pyraneian Mountain dog? (My daughter likes a Scottish duo called Belle and Sebastian!).

Also in the school hols they used to have "The Monkees" on the TV and "Casey Jones" about a steam railway driver in the 'Wild' West.

I would sometimes go to the cinema on a Saturday morning as they had special films for kids which was really cheap. We saw films by the "British Film Foundation". I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus! "The Railway Children" was my favourite - the original one with Sally Thomsett and Jenny Agutter.

I'm suddenly feeling so old!

Webbie Feb 28th 2004 7:35 pm

Re: Saturday Mornings...nostalgia
 

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Gordon the Gopher anyone?
:D
"Squeak ?!"

(Bit of background to those not familiar with him)

After his TV fame >
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/goinglive/

And his fall from grace...
http://www.gordon.cobblers.org/gordon.htm

He then found redemption >
http://web.archive.org/web/200212142....uk/gordon.htm
(Images have gone now, this used to be a site that allowed you to worship at the alter of Gopher)

Before ending up travelling the world with me !
http://www12.brinkster.com/newsticker/gordon.html

dunroving Feb 28th 2004 7:55 pm


Originally posted by Englishmum
....

I would sometimes go to the cinema on a Saturday morning as they had special films for kids which was really cheap. We saw films by the "British Film Foundation". I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus! ....
I remember that film! I was a member of the "ABC minors" club - Saturday matinee every week, show started at 10 a.m., several short films, and a segment where kids with a birthday would get a prize. I remember sitting in the audience looking at the same "birthday boys" going up every couple of months, used to make me mad.

One Saturday we got there and the place was closed, I was really disappointed. My dad explained it was because an important man was being buried. Didn't really know who Winston Churchill was at the time, but as I grew older I realized why he was so important that the whole country shut down for his funeral.

Webbie Feb 28th 2004 8:07 pm


Originally posted by dunroving
I remember that film! I was a member of the "ABC minors" club - Saturday matinee every week, show started at 10 a.m., several short films, and a segment where kids with a birthday would get a prize. I remember sitting in the audience looking at the same "birthday boys" going up every couple of months, used to make me mad.
Yep I was there. Every Saturday morning.
Used to watch all the kids getting up on stage when it was their birthday, I couldn't wait for my turn.
And when it was I was too scared to go !

Remember one of the films shown - it was on this tropical island and there was this talking shrunken head...? (No really there was.)

A link that will help people remember some things:
http://tv.cream.org/

edwords Feb 28th 2004 8:41 pm

Re: Saturday Mornings...nostalgia
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm showing my age, but...
SUPERCAR!

Ray Feb 28th 2004 11:43 pm


I remember the one about where all the children found a criminal in their dad's stable and they thought he was Jesus!
Whistle down the Wind 1961 with Hayley Mills

doctor scrumpy Feb 29th 2004 12:43 pm

Brinsley from Aswad was in the Double Deckers too.

Englishmum Feb 29th 2004 3:05 pm

I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia :) as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia. :cool: :D

doctor scrumpy Feb 29th 2004 3:18 pm


Originally posted by Englishmum
I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia :) as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia. :cool: :D
Liza whats her face that was married to Alvin Stardust was the little girl in that.

Rockgurl Feb 29th 2004 4:11 pm

Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.

doctor scrumpy Feb 29th 2004 4:17 pm


Originally posted by Rockgurl
I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.

That was the late 60s ? I never knew you taught Sunday School Rock :)

snorkmaiden Feb 29th 2004 4:19 pm

I remember Monkey but I think it was one of those programmes you either loved or loathed.

I loathed it, my husband loved it. For me it was something you put on in absolute desperation, it was BBC 2 I think and it must have been on around the same time as the news as that is probably what forced me to watch. It was the wierdest of shows.

I loved watching Phillip Schofield when I got in from school in the broomcupboard with Gordon. The bits they did between the shows were always the funniest. Ah nostalgia, listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon on the school bus and then coming in to watch kids telly........ I am so old.

dgsyd1 Feb 29th 2004 4:35 pm

OK, here's a question to everyone else who remember Saturday morning kids shows in the late 70's and early 80's. Were you a Swap Shop or Tiswas person? Must admit, I was a Swap Shop person.
Also does anyone else remember getting up to watch the Satrurday morning shows, and having to sit through OPen University for a while?

Rockgurl Feb 29th 2004 4:42 pm


Originally posted by dgsyd1
OK, here's a question to everyone else who remember Saturday morning kids shows in the late 70's and early 80's. Were you a Swap Shop or Tiswas person? Must admit, I was a Swap Shop person.
Also does anyone else remember getting up to watch the Satrurday morning shows, and having to sit through OPen University for a while?
Swap Shop! Good old Noel! Loved that one...watched it every week and so badly wanted to join in. I think this is where my Ebay addiction stemmed from! ;)

Rockgurl Feb 29th 2004 4:43 pm


Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
That was the late 60s ? I never knew you taught Sunday School Rock :)
Oh yeah...as if! :p I hated Sunday school!

GJB Mar 1st 2004 1:44 am

i too used to watch Monkey... wasn't it on at about 6pm on a friday? i used to love when he would blow on his fingers and wave them in front of his mouth to make his cloud appear... then he would hop on his cloud and fly off...

totally believable when you are 7 years old...

GJB

Yosser Mar 1st 2004 11:18 pm


Originally posted by Rockgurl
Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.
I loved Monkey, that was a great show.

Also anyone remember "tales of the golden monkey"....and every summer holiday they had "Silas" that was like a European type - dubbed show, pretty funky.

Then there was Huckleberry Finn also.

snorkmaiden Mar 1st 2004 11:33 pm

Was anyone watching (insert BBC saturday morning show here, can't remember which one) when the power cut as the Pet Shop Boys were supposedly singing live. It very quickly became obvious that they were in fact miming. They were livid, it was hilarious.

Webbie Mar 2nd 2004 2:36 am


Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Was anyone watching (insert BBC saturday morning show here, can't remember which one) when the power cut as the Pet Shop Boys were supposedly singing live. It very quickly became obvious that they were in fact miming. They were livid, it was hilarious.
Sounds like Going Live that one. Will have to do some digging around to confirm, but I'm pretty much certain.

My favourite was the phone-in (on Going Live) with Five Star and the kid swore live on air.

Another favourite - going back a bit - with TISWAS and the blokes in the cage. One of them lit up a spliff and Chris Tarrant was franticly throwing buckets of water at them to put it out.
:D

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 5:59 am

I still miss the Flumps, Bagpus and Ivor The Engine.

My wife went nuts when I won the Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture game with a video clip from Battle of The Planets. Man I miss that show.

I found it funny that when I finally get to America, no-one has heard of:

1) Street Hawk (Knight Rider on a motorbike)

2) Automan (kinda like Tron but a series).

3) Banana Splits (my wife thinks I'm crazy when I desribe this).

4) Man From Atlantis (Patrick Duffy with webbed hands and feet before his Dallas days).

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked :D )

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 6:02 am


Another favourite - going back a bit - with TISWAS and the blokes in the cage
Lenny Henry and his Trevor McDonut :D

Do you remember the adult spin-off, O.T.T.??

It was basically an adults version of Tiswas. This was only shown late at night with adult cartoons to allow Dad's to stare at Sally James' breasts :D

lairdside Mar 2nd 2004 7:23 am


Originally posted by rincewind
I still miss the Flumps, Bagpus and Ivor The Engine.

My wife went nuts when I won the Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture game with a video clip from Battle of The Planets. Man I miss that show.

I found it funny that when I finally get to America, no-one has heard of:

1) Street Hawk (Knight Rider on a motorbike)

2) Automan (kinda like Tron but a series).

3) Banana Splits (my wife thinks I'm crazy when I desribe this).

4) Man From Atlantis (Patrick Duffy with webbed hands and feet before his Dallas days).

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked :D )
Another one here on the Monkey fan club list.

I was talking about Ivor the Steam Engine a couple of days ago. I lived in North Wales for several years as a child and grew up watching it in Welsh :)

Pshdecuff.

Bagpuss - I've tried to describe this one to Americans..lmao

I bet no-one remembers Vicky the Viking ????

lairdside Mar 2nd 2004 7:24 am


Originally posted by lairdside
Another one here on the Monkey fan club list.

I was talking about Ivor the Steam Engine a couple of days ago. I lived in North Wales for several years as a child and grew up watching it in Welsh :)

Pshdecuff.

Bagpuss - I've tried to describe this one to Americans..lmao

I bet no-one remembers Vicky the Viking ????
Oh, I miss "Give My Head Peace" and "The Fast Show".

Jabba1 Mar 2nd 2004 8:28 am


Originally posted by Englishmum
I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia :) as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia. :cool: :D


I saw a couple of episodes recently on some cable channel that I can't remember the name of. It looked to me like Australia's answer to "Flipper".

I believe the theme went like this.....

Skippy...Skippy.....Skippy, the bush kangaroo. Skippi....Skippy.....Skippy, our friend ever true.

As I recall, the theme was played on a banjo, with an accompanying harmonica.

I never saw it as a child, but the two episodes I saw recently were about as exciting as watching paint dry.....nothing personal.


BTW, anyone besides me remember "Mr Horatio Nibbles"? It was about a little British girl named Mary Bunting (played by Rachel Brennock) who had a 6 foot talking invisible rabbit for a friend. I remember the legendary British actor Freddie Jones had a bit part as a gardner. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers it.

My favorite Japanese import of all time was Starblazers. It had to do with the "Starforce", a team of youngsters who had to save earth from the evil Desslok who wishes to destroy it. I thought the Comet Empire with the vile Prince Zordar was a forunner to Star Wars and the Death Star.

I remember "Battle of the Planets" only too well. Allen Young was the voice of 7 zark 7. I also remember that Keye Luke was the voice of Zoltar. I seem to remember that a lot of the show's violence had to be edited before it could be released in the US. The original Japanese vesion, which is available on DVD, contained a great deal more violence than the version I was used to seeing. Does anyone remember the episode were the G-Force manages to un-mask Zoltar? He appeared to have long blond hair, the G-Force members all seem to think he was a woman.

Scorchio Mar 2nd 2004 2:08 pm

Ah, Vicky the Viking, Tales of the golden monkey.. I remember them!

There was also a cartoon I remember from years back, and I've just googled with a really hot, fresh cup of tea, and I found it was called The Space Sentinels. Anyone else remember this one? I seem to remember the big holographic head being affected by the bad guys or something, and being quite scary! Now, if only I could find these to download... ;)

Tone Mar 2nd 2004 3:42 pm

Suprised nobody has mentioned Champion the Wonder Horse, Tiwas was class though, Compost Corner, The Phantom Flan Flinger and of course Sally James

DaveC Mar 2nd 2004 3:54 pm


Originally posted by rincewind
I still miss the Flumps, Bagpus and Ivor The Engine.

My wife went nuts when I won the Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture game with a video clip from Battle of The Planets. Man I miss that show.

I found it funny that when I finally get to America, no-one has heard of:

1) Street Hawk (Knight Rider on a motorbike)

2) Automan (kinda like Tron but a series).
Loved all of the above shows apart from the Flumps and Bagpuus, they were more of my sister's bag.

I remember watching Ivor the Engine on Dutch TV, they called him "Stalje de Lokomotiv" (sp).

Anyone remember Manimal about the guy who transformed into animals to solve crimes?

In related news I had heard that a Dukes of Hazzard Movie was being made but I understand now that an A-Team Movie is also in the pipeline. 80's nostalgia rules!

snorkmaiden Mar 2nd 2004 3:56 pm


Suprised nobody has mentioned Champion the Wonder Horse, Tiwas was class though, Compost Corner, The Phantom Flan Flinger and of course Sally James
I mentioned Champion the Wonderhorse in the first post you flump :D

We are branching out beyond our Saturday mornings now it seems, how about Mr. Ben, the Flumps, Magic Roundabout, Willow the Wisp.

I remember Mr Ben and the Flumps were on around lunchtime - either before or after Pebble Mill.

What was the show Itsy and Bitsy were on called and what about Fingerbobs.

Fingermouse, Fingermouse
I am a sort of wondermouse
A hit, a miss, A blundermouse
Fingermouse, that's me
I am a mouse called Fingermouse
A mouse with guts and nerve
I get past cats so easily
with my famous body swerve


I loved that show!!!

My other mouse favourite was Dangermouse.

He's The Best
He's The Greatest
He's The Greatest Secret Agent In The World!
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...
He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best!

For all your nostalgia needs check out
Nostalgia Central

crazi_daizi Mar 2nd 2004 4:04 pm

I used to love Trevor and Simon, think they were on a few Saturday morning shows. Philup Schofield and Gordon the Gopher were big favourites too , Andy Crane and that stupid duck weren't a patch on him! Or Andi Peters. Also will never forget when Toby Anstis was interviewing Aswad and some kid on the phone in asked what Aswad thought about [email protected]!! Toby's face was classic! :D

snorkmaiden Mar 2nd 2004 4:54 pm


Originally posted by crazi_daizi
I used to love Trevor and Simon, think they were on a few Saturday morning shows. Philup Schofield and Gordon the Gopher were big favourites too , Andy Crane and that stupid duck weren't a patch on him! Or Andi Peters. Also will never forget when Toby Anstis was interviewing Aswad and some kid on the phone in asked what Aswad thought about [email protected]!! Toby's face was classic! :D
Swing your pants!

crazi_daizi Mar 2nd 2004 5:30 pm


Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Swing your pants!

Yeah!! Ohhh they were classic, that was the Singing Corner wasn't it?! The funniest thing I saw them do was a pi$$ take of the video for a song by Erasure called Stop. Wish I could find it somewhere it was great!! And that bizarre thing they did with Pot Fish and Moon Monkey!..... Ahhhh those were the days, I'm going to have a warm feeling all day now !! :D :D :D

tony_2003 Mar 2nd 2004 7:24 pm

Swap Shop is the earliest I remember...I thought it was the dogs bollocks and Noels perm is the stuff of legends :D
I remember my mum fancied him lol

When I was about 12 my Saturday morning consisted of Going Live (anyone else fancy Sarah Greene?) then Football Focus and Saint and Greavsie "hahahahahahahaha marvelous James! hahahaha" then off to watch the football.

tony_2003 Mar 2nd 2004 7:31 pm

Anyone also remember a character called Simon Perry? Don't think it was going live, Andy Crane presented the show If I remember. He was a buck teeth guy in a red anorak who walked around the studio...he had a strange obsession with cheese. Very funny. I remember during the section where the audience asks a question of the guest he said to Jason Preistley "in America you call them chips...but we call them crisps" and preistley was totally bewildered :D

crazi_daizi Mar 2nd 2004 7:35 pm


Originally posted by tony_2003
Anyone also remember a character called Simon Perry? Don't think it was going live, Andy Crane presented the show If I remember. He was a buck teeth guy in a red anorak who walked around the studio...he had a strange obsession with cheese. Very funny. I remember during the section where the audience asks a question of the guest he said to Jason Preistley "in America you call them chips...but we call them crisps" and preistley was totally bewildered :D
Wasn't that Norman? He did the Twix adverts?

rincewind Mar 2nd 2004 7:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best picture I could find.

The show was What's Up Doc.


Simon Perry

By far the funniest character. Played by Stephen Taylor Woodrow, he was an anorak with a cheese obsession. Every so often, he would nominate Cheese Rangers, and award them diploma scrolls, in a segment introduced by the following song (to the tune of In The Navy):

‘It’s the Scrollies, so it must be Saturday,

I’ve got the Scrollies, and they will not go away!’

He once had a supermodel girlfriend called Hilda. Simon Perry was shown leaving What’s Up Doc? shortly before the series ended.

The Simon Perry character was later seen on a series of Twix adverts under the name Norm (‘a break from the Norm’).
You can check out the page I found here.

ladyofthelake Mar 2nd 2004 8:30 pm


Originally posted by snorkmaiden
I mentioned Champion the Wonderhorse in the first post you flump :D

We are branching out beyond our Saturday mornings now it seems, how about Mr. Ben, the Flumps, Magic Roundabout, Willow the Wisp.

I remember Mr Ben and the Flumps were on around lunchtime - either before or after Pebble Mill.

What was the show Itsy and Bitsy were on called and what about Fingerbobs.

Fingermouse, Fingermouse
I am a sort of wondermouse
A hit, a miss, A blundermouse
Fingermouse, that's me
I am a mouse called Fingermouse
A mouse with guts and nerve
I get past cats so easily
with my famous body swerve


I loved that show!!!

The show with Itsy and Bitsy on it was called Paperplay (had to do a bit of research to find that, couldn't remember the name myself) From the
TV Cream site:
WE'VE BEEN chastised, and rightly so, for not including this redoubtable ten-minuter. MAGPIE's SUSAN STRANKS was "in command" doing craft stuff with card, paper, tissue, glitter and glue etc., but the real stars were Itsy and Bitsy, two squeaky/growly puppet "spiders" (actually just gloves with a pom-pom stuck on the back) who came down a woolen web at the start and caused the hapless Stranks much hassle in the "helping" department. Also, oft-forgotten Boris the mute ladybird and Cardew The Caterpillar. Earlier show TINGA AND TUCKER did a similar interfering with presenter act, but this was far superior. Four spin-off books available on how to make stuff – cardboard castles, Norman swords and helmets etc.

..."NO, PUT THE GLITTER DOWN, IT'S NOT FOR THAT!"
http://www.toonhound.com/itsybitsy.jpg

Fingermouse was one of my all time favourites. In fact most of my favourites seemed to be on at the lunch time slots, did I ever go to school?

Patrick Mar 2nd 2004 8:32 pm


Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Swing your pants!

I have a friend called Jeff here in America and I call him picklin' Jeff. I have never explained why I call it him and he has never asked, most people just say "he's English"

Picklin' Jeff - wonderful

Patrick

Jabba1 Mar 2nd 2004 10:07 pm


Originally posted by DaveC
Anyone remember Manimal about the guy who transformed into animals to solve crimes?


It starred Simon MacCorkindale, Melody Anderson and Michael D Roberts. As I recall, the Music was composed by Alan Silvestri, the same composer who later did the music for Forrest Gump. The series revolved around Dr. Jonathan Chase, a millionaire playboy with the ability to transform into any animal he wishes. Don't ask how he manages this feat, it was never clearly explained. The series was marred by pre-digital SFX. Chase was supposedly able to turn into any animal at all, but he only ever turned into a black panther. This was probably due to a limited SFX budget, and no computer technology available back then. This series would have been much better if it had been done a decade later with the latest technology to enhance Chase's animal transformations.

GJB Mar 2nd 2004 10:54 pm

I'm sure that at some point in my life I saw a show called "The Red Hand Gang" about a kid getting kidnapped and loads of other kids solving the crime. I really enjoyed it, but everyone I've ever mentioned it to say they've never heard of it... did I dream it?

GJB


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:31 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.