SatNavs

Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:16 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SatNavs

Originally Posted by Bink
That's what I thought but it's universally 12V so there'd be no reason for the GPS to see anything different from UK to US...
yes very odd unless the car was some unique model that had a varied socket u never know in this day and age!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Really?! I've never heard of that being a problem so that's really interesting. I've used them from the UK before with no issue - do you know if it was the UK plug or the american ciggy lighter that was the problem?
ive had the same adaptor for the last 5 years and always worked with whatever car ive had until this year, we had a brand new ford and the adaptor would not fit in to the lighter the adaptor was to big for the ciggy lighter socket.

believe me, if i could get a square peg in a round hole i would, this did not fit and thats why i had to buy a new adaptor
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:21 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tipex
ive had the same adaptor for the last 5 years and always worked with whatever car ive had until this year, we had a brand new ford and the adaptor would not fit in to the lighter the adaptor was to big for the ciggy lighter socket.

believe me, if i could get a square peg in a round hole i would, this did not fit and thats why i had to buy a new adaptor
Wasn't doubting you, just curious as to why it's changed, it would seem that it would have quite a large knock on effect.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Wasn't doubting you, just curious as to why it's changed, it would seem that it would have quite a large knock on effect.
it's ok, the car we had was a ford crown victoria, maybe it was just that particular car, who knows, but what i did notice that the adaptor i bought from walmart would wiggle around in my car at home where as my satnav adaptor wouldnt.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
A lot of phones nowadays work well as a SatNav/GPS.

I have yet to see a phone perform anywhere near as well as a dedicated GPS unit, if you consider all the elements including user interaction while driving.

The iPhone is particularly weak as a GPS device, while the droid variants are considerably better - but I wouldn't rely on either compared to a dedicated unit.