SatNavs

Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SatNavs

Hi All.

I am moving in four weeks, and also going for a veyr short trip on Saturday for 3 days.

I am thinking of just getting a SatNav over here to take with me (complete with North American maps of course).

Does anyone know if there are any issues in doing this - are the in-car chargers the same (the fag plug ins)?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:26 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SatNavs

I bought mine in the UK prior to moving to the US (some time ago now!).

The charger was the same, and it worked perfectly well. Only issue I had was that sometimes it took a few minutes to load up on starting. Not really a problem, but it used to annoy the missus - that may be a specific model (Garmin Nuvi 270) though.

One thing to consider is that if you are buying one here, it will need to include the North American maps as well as any Eutopean maps (they don't all include this). This makes it more expensive than buying one over there with just the North American maps. Mine includes the whole world, and therefore has been a godsend for me travelling over Europe and the USA over the past 5 years.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Should have no problem. I have heard that Garmin have better maps of the US then Tomtom.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:21 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

As my American wife keeps on telling me, it's a GPS (most people here don't know the term SatNav).
Obviously, I continue to call it a SatNav.

Cig lighters are standard size and you'll have no probs with that.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be a problem....but if you get one with the traffic updates, those won't work.

They're cheaper over here though, pick one up in a grocery store if you want to save some money.

Which one to get, well depends where you'll be I guess. Tomtom works really well in Boston, Magellen not so much because of the tunnels and tall buildings, but it worked pretty well up in Maine in the boonies.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

A lot of phones nowadays work well as a SatNav/GPS.

Obviously you don't need to buy one of these to put it in but you get the idea...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola...&skuId=4004049
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

One of the issues of using a phone is that many phone based stanav programs download maps via the cellphone network as you drive around. Not usually an issue if you stay in areas where you have data connectivity but may become a problem away from populated areas.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just buy one when you get here on Saturday. You can get one from somewhere like Best Buy to try out. If you don't like it, you can return it. You can buy refurbished models at a discount. Make sure you get the maps you want as some models only cover the US (sometimes excluding Alaska) while others include US/Canada. Some include North America and Europe.

On my travels I've often bought something I needed short-term at Best Buy and then returned it at the end of my trip. I don't feel guilty as I've spent thousands at Best Buy over the years.

And ask for a GPS - not a SatNav!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We bought one from Bestbuy when we arrived, it was a lot cheaper than the UK
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cpe111
One of the issues of using a phone is that many phone based stanav programs download maps via the cellphone network as you drive around. Not usually an issue if you stay in areas where you have data connectivity but may become a problem away from populated areas.
If you get decent maps such as Tomtom they are stored on the phone.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bink
As my American wife keeps on telling me, it's a GPS (most people here don't know the term SatNav).
Obviously, I continue to call it a SatNav.

Cig lighters are standard size and you'll have no probs with that.
ours wouldn't work this year in the ciggy lighter, first time ever, the car we hired would not take the uk plug, we had to buy an adaptor in walmart for $20
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tipex
ours wouldn't work this year in the ciggy lighter, first time ever, the car we hired would not take the uk plug, we had to buy an adaptor in walmart for $20
Really?! I've never heard of that being a problem so that's really interesting. I've used them from the UK before with no issue - do you know if it was the UK plug or the american ciggy lighter that was the problem?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:17 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
Really?! I've never heard of that being a problem so that's really interesting. I've used them from the UK before with no issue - do you know if it was the UK plug or the american ciggy lighter that was the problem?
shld be universal?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:32 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

the cigarette socket is the same in both countries so it is likely an issue with the sat nav/gps as opposed to the cigarette lighter port
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:41 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by londonights
the cigarette socket is the same in both countries so it is likely an issue with the sat nav/gps as opposed to the cigarette lighter port
That's what I thought but it's universally 12V so there'd be no reason for the GPS to see anything different from UK to US...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.