Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Satellite Radio

Satellite Radio

Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Satellite Radio

XM and Sirius merged their line-ups yesterday. Rather disconcerting at first. I now have BBC Radio 1. Has it always been rubbish or has it changed with the times and I have not?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:05 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satellite Radio

I thought it was rubbish when I was back in the UK. Never been good since Mark and Lard stopped their showns imo.

The Mrs got me a Sirius radio for Christmas (should help with the 75 minute door to door trip to work each day), so looking forward to getting it all set up.

I'll have to go check out the channel listing if they've merged their programming and see if I change my mind on what subscription plan I want (not included in the present, have to buy that myself. Bugger).
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

So my XM now has Sirius channels?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
I thought it was rubbish when I was back in the UK. Never been good since Mark and Lard stopped their showns imo.

The Mrs got me a Sirius radio for Christmas (should help with the 75 minute door to door trip to work each day), so looking forward to getting it all set up.

I'll have to go check out the channel listing if they've merged their programming and see if I change my mind on what subscription plan I want (not included in the present, have to buy that myself. Bugger).
We have had it for about 4 years now, XM Radio that is, and would not go back to terrestrial radio ever again. On my 90 min commute I listened to BBCWorldService to get a bit of news then switch to one of the alternative radio channels. Thankfully the BBCWorldService is still in the lineup.When you are stuck in a tailback the comedy channels (150 I think) are a great way to get through it.

Radio 1 always was crap really except maybe Steve Wright in the afternoon (Now on Radio 2) I preferred Virgin Radio, now Absolute.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So my XM now has Sirius channels?
It does indeed ABY. It was a a bit of a shock yesterday but like all things, you get used to it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:21 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
XM and Sirius merged their line-ups yesterday. Rather disconcerting at first. I now have BBC Radio 1. Has it always been rubbish or has it changed with the times and I have not?
The only time Radio 1 is any good is late at night when they have all their speciality shows. I have a Sirius radio that allows me to record shows so that's how I get my fix.

I notice with this merge Sirius subscribers don't really get much of a change - not sure what happens to XM subscribers. They've shuffled some old Sirius ones out in favour of new ones (presumably old XM ones, or "merged" Sirius and XM stations), but some of the XM content is only available if you pay extra. I don't pay a monthly amount as I paid upfront for a lifetime subscription so they're not getting any more money out of me.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neil
The only time Radio 1 is any good is late at night when they have all their speciality shows. I have a Sirius radio that allows me to record shows so that's how I get my fix.

I notice with this merge Sirius subscribers don't really get much of a change - not sure what happens to XM subscribers. They've shuffled some old Sirius ones out in favour of new ones (presumably old XM ones, or "merged" Sirius and XM stations), but some of the XM content is only available if you pay extra. I don't pay a monthly amount as I paid upfront for a lifetime subscription so they're not getting any more money out of me.
I don't know Neil, I have XM and I haven't lost any channels I used to listen to. But then I only listened to a few.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Who needs Radio 1.

What about Radio 5 Live? Is that on there?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Who needs Radio 1.

No it's not. There are loads of channels devoted to sport but I think it's limited to the US market, like Baseball, NFL, College football, basketball etc. Sometimes they have football. BBC WorldService usually do commentary from one of the premier league games on Saturday mornings but as we are actually watching it on telly it's not something we think about.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Who needs Radio 1.

Probably not something they can handle - it wouldn't be "live". They timeshift radio 1, so that you get the breakfast show at breakfast time etc. Actually I wonder how that works across timezones - does everyone get it shifted 5 hours?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neil
Probably not something they can handle - it wouldn't be "live". They timeshift radio 1, so that you get the breakfast show at breakfast time etc. Actually I wonder how that works across timezones - does everyone get it shifted 5 hours?
Good Question. The world service is time shifted by 4 hours which always strikes me as odd.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably shifted by 4 hours during DST/BST.....because the World Service is always on GMT, which in summer is 4 hours off from EST.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Probably shifted by 4 hours during DST/BST.....because the World Service is always on GMT, which in summer is 4 hours off from EST.
Are you sure? Its always 5 hours here except for about a week in March and again in October because Britain changes their clocks at different times to us.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:15 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

So does that mean that NFL (Sirius) and MLB (XM) channels are on the same line-up?
I don't have a long commute and we're never in the car long for other trips. Wouldn't have the time to listen to it at home. If I did have reason to use it, I reckon I'm still too tight to fork out $10/month for it.
Free NPR at work'll do me.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
So does that mean that NFL (Sirius) and MLB (XM) channels are on the same line-up?
I don't have a long commute and we're never in the car long for other trips. Wouldn't have the time to listen to it at home. If I did have reason to use it, I reckon I'm still too tight to fork out $10/month for it.
Free NPR at work'll do me.
yes. Here is the link to the new lineup http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.