British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Satellite or Cable? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/satellite-cable-285261/)

John Murray Feb 19th 2005 12:14 am

Satellite or Cable?

Currently I have Timewarner cable and roadrunner internet access - which I am happy with.

I am about to move and wondering whether to get cable or satellite tv in my new house.

Which do you prefer?

There seem to be a few offers out for satellite right now - installed in 4 rooms free - but some don't come packaged with broadband.

I usually stick to the basic tv package - no premium movies or sports - as I have netflix for movies and don't watch US sports (Fox Sports World on time warner cable is free, but as it doesn't show Scottish games - I only have a passing interest now and again in watching a Premiership game).

In UK it was straightwforward - for a while I had basic cable and a "black box" giving all channels for free :D then I got Sky digital and was happy with that also.

What I'm looking for is basic channels in 2 or 3 rooms and broadband internet access - I'm paying about $85 right now for timewarner/roadrunner - any ideas??

Bob Feb 19th 2005 12:46 am

Re: Satellite or Cable?

Errr...if you can get broadband via your cable guys is probably better value for money....satalite internet is kack...well being in texas you don't have to worry about the snow knocking the internet out....but it really gets knocked about a bit in the bad weather...

fatbrit Feb 19th 2005 12:51 am

You can have my cable internet when you prise it...
No contest for domestic user.

US TV is total crap. We have the cheapest cable package, and then hardly ever watch that as there's nothing on. More channels equal more crap.

Lion in Winter Feb 19th 2005 12:53 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You can have my cable internet when you prise it...
No contest for domestic user.

US TV is total crap. We have the cheapest cable package, and then hardly ever watch that as there's nothing on. More channels equal more crap.

A lot of it's very good for insomnia though, I find.

fatbrit Feb 19th 2005 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

Prefer a crappy novel myself unless Jessica's on MTV.

Bob Feb 19th 2005 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

unfortunately, it's so crap it doesn't even put you to sleep, you just end up wanting to stab your eyeballs with a rusty spoon after a while...

BritishInOhio Feb 19th 2005 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...if you can get broadband via your cable guys is probably better value for money....satalite internet is kack...well being in texas you don't have to worry about the snow knocking the internet out....but it really gets knocked about a bit in the bad weather...

Live in Chicago, have the dish with internet. No probems.

Bob Feb 19th 2005 1:45 am

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
Live in Chicago, have the dish with internet. No probems.

snow tends to cover the dish and knock them out over here...

Pimpbot Feb 19th 2005 1:08 pm

We have Cox digital cable with internet access. We get all the movies, sports and HBO channels which costs a pretty penny, but what the hell. :) The only thing I don't like about cable, is that I cannot get the NFL ticket. But having sat through many a problems with the dish network setup that we have at work, I'd never subscribe to them or direct tv.

AmerLisa Feb 19th 2005 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Totally agree here. We have satellite and I prefer it, hubs doesn't care one way or the other. We've never had problems with the satellite being knocked out.