SARS

Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:02 pm
K1 Filer

Default SARS

Anyone heard of any delays due to SARS ? My fiance lives in Canada.
Found out today that the hospitals up there are being quaranteened and
no visitors are being allowed.

Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SARS

Originally posted by K1 Filer
Anyone heard of any delays due to SARS ? My fiance lives in Canada.
Found out today that the hospitals up there are being quaranteened and
no visitors are being allowed.
May I ask where you found this information. There was nothing in today's paper and I have a friend who just entered the hospital today and her husband did not say anything about not being able to visit with her.

Rete
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:38 pm
Ron

One of the network news programs early last week said 2 hospitals were
closed, but I don't remember where. Toronto?

"Rete" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by K1 Filer
    > > Anyone heard of any delays due to SARS ? My fiance lives in Canada.
    > > Found out today that the hospitals up there are being quaranteened and
    > > no visitors are being allowed.
    > May I ask where you found this information. There was nothing in
    > today's paper and I have a friend who just entered the hospital
    > today and her husband did not say anything about not being able to
    > visit with her.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
May I ask where you found this information. There was nothing in today's paper and I have a friend who just entered the hospital today and her husband did not say anything about not being able to visit with her.

Rete
Rita-

I saw a story related to this last night on tv, and it concered hospitals in Toronto. They said no visitors were being allowed in the hospital at all, and suspected SARS patients are being quaranteened. I don't remeber exactly what channel it was, but I'd say it was probably FOX.

Kimberly
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by imkimmy
Rita-

I saw a story related to this last night on tv, and it concered hospitals in Toronto. They said no visitors were being allowed in the hospital at all, and suspected SARS patients are being quaranteened. I don't remeber exactly what channel it was, but I'd say it was probably FOX.

Kimberly
Thanks Kim. My friend is not in Toronto luckily. I had heard that they were quarantining apartment buidlings but hadn't heard of hospitals. I'm sure Gordon would be beside himself if he could not get in because this morning both his wife and mother were admitted.

Rita
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Thanks Kim. My friend is not in Toronto luckily. I had heard that they were quarantining apartment buidlings but hadn't heard of hospitals. I'm sure Gordon would be beside himself if he could not get in because this morning both his wife and mother were admitted.

Rita
No problem. Stantton's planning a trip home next week, so we are keeping our eyes open about that story.

Kimberly
Old Apr 8th 2003, 12:39 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

http://www.who.int/csr/en/

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../58128-cp.html

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/health...et_parents.htm

I spent 22 hours straight in the Toronto airport last week. Because of all the mask wearing people I saw, the "Health Alert Notice" they were handing out, and the fact that I came in close contact with several people who had just returned from Hong Kong (one was a gentleman on my tiny plane home to Grand Rapids, MI), I was completely paranoid that I was going to get SARS. Because of my paranoia, I went online and found out as much as I could about it. It seems the Americans aren't taking it as seriously as the Canadians and the Canadians are very concerned about this. Air Canada announced it would no longer be having flights to Hong Kong for the time.

FYI: Also announced was Air Canada's bankruptcy which means fewer flights...part of the reason I had to sit there for 22 hours because there are only two flights to GR a day (18 seats per flight) and the 5:30 pm one was full. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they stop flying to GR completely.

I'm guessing having fearful fliers choose to not travel might cause flight costs to be driven down in order for the airlines to sell tickets. Of course, you should probably make sure you try to buy with an airline you are fairly certain will still be running when you need to return home.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 1:48 am
Mikki

[email protected] (k1 filer) wrote in message news:...
    > Anyone heard of any delays due to SARS ? My fiance lives in Canada.
    > Found out today that the hospitals up there are being quaranteened and
    > no visitors are being allowed.

This is not so of all hospitals in Canada - perhaps about a specific area?

Old Apr 8th 2003, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

k1filer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mikki
[email protected] (k1 filer) wrote in message news:...
    > Anyone heard of any delays due to SARS ? My fiance lives in Canada.
    > Found out today that the hospitals up there are being quaranteened and
    > no visitors are being allowed.

This is not so of all hospitals in Canada - perhaps about a specific area?

Hospital is Princess Margaret in Toronto. No Visitors allowed. Fiance going there for some treatments and he is only allowed in certain area with mask and noone can go in with him.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

gcrobidoux is an unknown quantity at this point

I just talked to a freind of mine last week and she mentioned to me that passengers are asked to fill up a form, asking questions about your health condition. e.i. flu-like symtoms... She said that if you answered the questions with flu-like symtoms, they will put you to quarantine. Is this true? Would appreciate if someone could give a light on this.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 5:39 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Originally posted by gcrobidoux
I just talked to a freind of mine last week and she mentioned to me that passengers are asked to fill up a form, asking questions about your health condition. e.i. flu-like symtoms... She said that if you answered the questions with flu-like symtoms, they will put you to quarantine. Is this true? Would appreciate if someone could give a light on this.
Yes, some passengers are put on "at home" quarentine. Please read some of the info at the sites I linked in my earlier post. If you have questions about a specific airline, go to the site of that airline and I am sure they will have some info regarding SARS in their news section and any changes in procedures.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thing1
Yes, some passengers are put on "at home" quarentine. Please read some of the info at the sites I linked in my earlier post. If you have questions about a specific airline, go to the site of that airline and I am sure they will have some info regarding SARS in their news section and any changes in procedures.
Here in the Silicon Valley, Northern California, we've had a couple of cases, a couple of quarantines of patients (including an entire flight on the runway for a couple of hours), and increasing paranoia. When I took my kids to our medical clinic for appointments over the past week, from what I could see there was in every department (including the billing and family therapy departments where people at least physically are usually healthy) were signs, on every receptionist's desk. They had the three symptoms. To make sure you read it, the person who helped you specifically asked if you'd read the sign, if you said no, they made you stand there and read it, then they asked the questions just to make sure. A similar, though less intrusive phenomena, happened when I visited my dentist this week in a different clinic.

So I think in America caution levels are dependent on where you live and how much Pacific Rim travel is done in and out of your region. This is a good thing, to me, since SARS at least for the moment is rather scary.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

21stcenturylove is on a distinguished road

Very strange theory has been put forward by the Hong Kong officials. "SARS spread by cockroaches". They believe that cockroaches may have carried the infection from flat to flat. They think so because the virus spread to people even without coming into contact with the affected persons, in an appartment in Hong Kong. This theory has not been officially proved. As of now, WHO is not able to pin point the cause of the disease and its mode of spread. The number of victims has now hit 100.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

gcrobidoux is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thing1
Thanks for the sites. They were very helpful.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 11:22 pm
David Brown

There will be no delays accross the border unless there is official
quarantine or travel restriction by CDC in Atlanta. They are on the web.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.