British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sarasota, FL or Baltimore, MD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sarasota-fl-baltimore-md-593039/)

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 21st 2009 8:23 pm

Sarasota, FL or Baltimore, MD?

Hi everyone,

One of my best friends has just received good job offers in both cities. She's really struggling to make up her mind as to which she should take. She's a physician and the pay is good in both scenarios, so I don't think salary considerations will come into play.

She is a 32 year old American, single, of Indian descent. Loves warmer weather (negative for Baltimore) but will want a decent social scene (negative for Sarasota). It sounds like if she takes the FL opportunity she might end up living in St. Pete after a year or two as she will be supporting several different clinics scattered about that area.

Any thoughts as to which might be a better fit from a lifestyle perspective? Thanks!

Pharrya Feb 22nd 2009 12:10 am

Re: Sarasota, FL or Baltimore, MD?

Which hospital is the Baltimore gig ? If it's at Johns Hopkins, then she'll have plenty of opportunities for research or for moving into other areas of medicine, as this is a big Bio town.

As for the warmer weather, it's plenty warm in summer, but right now, we're all shivering - Sarasota it ain't and there isn't any outdoor dining going on - like I suspect is happening in Florida (I was there last week)

I guess it all depends what her 'thing' is - if it's beaches, then don't come to Baltimore. If it's bar hopping, then then this is the place to be.

The two places are really different and it all comes doen to her interests.....

Patrick Hasler Feb 22nd 2009 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7308626)
Hi everyone,

One of my best friends has just received good job offers in both cities. She's really struggling to make up her mind as to which she should take. She's a physician and the pay is good in both scenarios, so I don't think salary considerations will come into play.

She is a 32 year old American, single, of Indian descent. Loves warmer weather (negative for Baltimore) but will want a decent social scene (negative for Sarasota). It sounds like if she takes the FL opportunity she might end up living in St. Pete after a year or two as she will be supporting several different clinics scattered about that area.

Any thoughts as to which might be a better fit from a lifestyle perspective? Thanks!

I'd take Sarasota :thumbup::thumbup:... Baltimore sucks :thumbdown:

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 22nd 2009 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Pharrya (Post 7309065)
Which hospital is the Baltimore gig ? If it's at Johns Hopkins, then she'll have plenty of opportunities for research or for moving into other areas of medicine, as this is a big Bio town.

As for the warmer weather, it's plenty warm in summer, but right now, we're all shivering - Sarasota it ain't and there isn't any outdoor dining going on - like I suspect is happening in Florida (I was there last week)

I guess it all depends what her 'thing' is - if it's beaches, then don't come to Baltimore. If it's bar hopping, then then this is the place to be.

The two places are really different and it all comes doen to her interests.....

It's University of Maryland, that much I know. While Sarasota might be great for a vacation, I really wonder how it would be as a single woman ... would there be a good social life for her there? Not sure. The people recruiting her in Sarasota knew what they were doing though - took her to a condo downtown with killer views of the bay. ;)

I think she's torn because she was all set to go to Sarasota until she had the interview in Baltimore and was more impressed than she expected to be. She'll make a good salary (I was wondering today - why didn't I go into medicine ;)) and could live in the more happening areas I'd think.

Dan725 Feb 23rd 2009 5:34 pm

As Pharyya says, it really depends on her interests.

Me personally, if I was single I'd probably take Sarasota, but thats because I like my boats/waterskiing/scuba diving. Might be that Sarasota isn't that much of a party place, but there are spots along that coast, you don't have to drive far. If she did end up in St Pete, that'd be great for her on all count's I'd say.

I have only been to Baltimore a couple of times in the past and went bar hopping myself on both occasions - but I'd still sooner live in Sarasota as a preference.

Nice choice she has to make though in these times, eh....I reckon there are probably a lot of people who were wishing they only had that to strugle with!

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 24th 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 7314583)

Nice choice she has to make though in these times, eh....I reckon there are probably a lot of people who were wishing they only had that to strugle with!

She said the same thing. Good to know that you think there are good social opportunities in that area - that was one of my concerns. I think she's leaning toward the Sarasota opportunity ... would likely live in Sarasota for a year or two before moving on to St. Pete.

Dan725 Feb 24th 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7316198)
She said the same thing. Good to know that you think there are good social opportunities in that area - that was one of my concerns. I think she's leaning toward the Sarasota opportunity ... would likely live in Sarasota for a year or two before moving on to St. Pete.

This might be useful: http://www.10best.com/Sarasota,FL/Nightlife/

Siesta Key is the place I was thinking of. Obviously, Sarasota isn't going to be New York/LA (or Baltimore, come to that), and there's no denying there is a high percentage of retirees and semi-retired snowbirds there - but there are things going on - its not like moving to the middle of nowhere. Besides, St Pete is only an hour away; heck, Key West a very quick flight (or fast boat ride from Ft Myers) away; and there's nightlife aplenty there for weekend trips!

penguinsix Feb 24th 2009 3:42 pm

Baltimore is changing, recovering from its rust belt roots and becoming more energized, especially as people from Washington relocate to the 'urban' living environment (but don't want to pay Washington DC prices). There are some 'trendy' areas around with bars and restaurants and shopping and nightlife. I think former President Bush's daughter lives just near the downtown area with her new husband. However, it's not fully come around just yet. There are still plenty of 'no go' areas in the city, and she would definitely get a true 'urban' hospital experience working there. If she's working in an ER it will be quite an eye opening experience.

Most of the Indians in the area live in Northern Virginia, about an hour away. There are a number who have emigrated for the tech opportunities near the Dulles Toll Road and a few groceries, restaurants, and other social events going on down there. Not sure if there is much of an Indian community in Baltimore proper.

Ozzidoc Feb 24th 2009 4:29 pm

I'd choose Baltimore over Fl if I were in her shoes, for both social and career opportunities. It's also not too far from DC or NY....and I'd like that :)

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 25th 2009 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7318523)
I'd choose Baltimore over Fl if I were in her shoes, for both social and career opportunities. It's also not too far from DC or NY....and I'd like that :)

I would lean that way if I was her too. It sounds to me like the Baltimore opportunity might be better if she could get a firm commitment on having a part-time research position, etc. It sounds like they are open to that but there are no guarantees, and I know that's very important to her. She is an ob/gyn with a masters in public health, focused on reproductive health, contraception, population control, etc. (That's about the best as a layman I can do when it comes to discussing what she does.) ;)

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 25th 2009 3:00 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7318345)
Most of the Indians in the area live in Northern Virginia, about an hour away. There are a number who have emigrated for the tech opportunities near the Dulles Toll Road and a few groceries, restaurants, and other social events going on down there. Not sure if there is much of an Indian community in Baltimore proper.

I mentioned that in case it might be helpful, but she was born and raised here and is less connected to the Indian community than others I was friends with growing up. I don't think that's a big concern for her, though I'm sure having access to the right groceries would be a big plus. :)

Edited to add - thanks for your input everyone! I've pasted your comments in an e-mail to her and I know she appreciates it.

dakota44 Feb 25th 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7308626)
Hi everyone,

Send me her photo. I might want to welcome her personally. :lol: Being in Sarasota, believe me there is plenty to do here. She can have a social life. It is a nice city, but blistering hot in the summer. For me, that still beats brutal cold and snow and sleet in the winter. There should be some good deals here on apartments and houses now, given the real estate crash. She would be an hour from Tampa, and three pro sports teams if that is her thing. I would definitely take Sarasota over Baltimore.

And NO STATE INCOME TAX here.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 25th 2009 3:11 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 7320209)
Send me her photo. I might want to welcome her personally. :lol: Being in Sarasota, believe me there is plenty to do here. She can have a social life. It is a nice city, but blistering hot in the summer. For me, that still beats brutal cold and snow and sleet in the winter. There should be some good deals here on apartments and houses now, given the real estate crash. She would be an hour from Tampa, and three pro sports teams if that is her thing. I would definitely take Sarasota over Baltimore.

And NO STATE INCOME TAX here.

Ha - you might indeed. She's a complete sweetheart, a beautiful girl, smart, kind, educated, and helpful to have around in a medical emergency. ;) A real catch for the right guy, who seems to be eluding her. Not a latina though ... :)

I do think she's tempted by the climate. She lives in Chapel Hill now and enjoys the milder weather, but I'm glad to see that this desire isn't trumping all others in her decision.

dakota44 Feb 25th 2009 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7320216)
Ha - you might indeed. She's a complete sweetheart, a beautiful girl, smart, kind, educated, and helpful to have around in a medical emergency. ;) A real catch for the right guy, who seems to be eluding her. Not a latina though ... :)

I do think she's tempted by the climate. She lives in Chapel Hill now and enjoys the milder weather, but I'm glad to see that this desire isn't trumping all others in her decision.

Not a Latina, but dark hair, dark eyes and dark skin. Works for me. :lol: I do think she would like it here. Just going outside and suddenly seeing flamingos in your yard is a treat. There is a lot to do here, and no shortage of shopping. Which, as we know, is a primary concern for every woman. ;)

penguinsix Feb 25th 2009 4:04 am

The only other point I wanted to mention is that the DC / MD region is home to quite a large 'biotech' community (the 'I-270 Corridor'). With the Food and Drug Administration, National Institute of Health, along with some other government/private 'medical' research agencies (including even the biowar folks at Ft. Detrick) the area has quite a bit of medical research and medical policy careers going on in Montgomery County area (i.e. an hour from Baltimore).

Not so much for this job but for her 'next one'--she'd be in the area for a good follow-on career.