Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara/Carpinteria or San Luis Obispo?

Santa Barbara/Carpinteria or San Luis Obispo?

Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Santa Barbara/Carpinteria or San Luis Obispo?

Just got my Immigrant Visa delivered by courier - Yea!

My USC wife and I are planning to move from Exeter, Devon to Central Coast California (we're tired of the English weather!...and love open space and the 'Ocean')

I appreciate 'where to live' is very subjective but we've narrowed it down to the 5 Cities area around San Luis Obispo...or Santa Barbara/Carpinteria.

Quick background - We're in our 50's, and poised to re-invent ourselves! I'm a Business Coach and we have an online Business program for SMEs. I also do keynote speeches, both of which we're planning to continue in California.

If you have personal experience of either SLO or Santa Barbara, I'd love to hear from you, particularly re which is likely to be more receptive to the Business side of things.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Santa Barbara/Carpinteria or San Luis Obispo?

Santa Barbara has a proper British chippy. That should surely swing it?

http://www.macssb.com/
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They are really nice areas but I have no idea about the business side of things I'm afraid.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They are really nice areas but I have no idea about the business side of things I'm afraid.
Well Oprah has a home in Santa Barbara, maybe the OP could tap her up for a job. Her new TV station needs all the help it can get....
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Well Oprah has a home in Santa Barbara, maybe the OP could tap her up for a job. Her new TV station needs all the help it can get....
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Strangely, Chippies and Oprah, although both are highly influential, won't be the ultimate deciding factors.

Does anybody on the forum live in either place?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:26 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AntMcG
Strangely, Chippies and Oprah, although both are highly influential, won't be the ultimate deciding factors.

Does anybody on the forum live in either place?
The chippy has a brewpub next door to it, if that helps?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Santa Barbara - very expensive, quite " Cliquey " lots of old money, older people - UCSB is there so certain parts (Isla Vista area)get crazy when the kids party !

SLO - more 'down to earth' than SB , big college town as well.

Based on your line of work I'd think Santa Barbara would be best . You'll find that area markedly cooler / more apt to fog than LA & south of.

Last edited by Englishman43; Oct 5th 2011 at 5:57 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Englishman43.

Yes - we also thought that SB was a better bet for the number of businesses (also being closer to LA). However, it does indeed seem more cliquey compared to SLO more natural and 'friendly'.

Also, we're considering house prices (as we'll be buying). It looks like you can get a house in, say Arroyo Grande, for about half the price of SB - and with a lot more character.

If there's enough business in and around the 5 cities (+ add in Santa Maria etc), we're leaning towards that area. The only issue is that the major employees are the University, the Jail and the farming industry (not our target markets!).

Any thoughts on the level of other Business in SLO county would be really helpful. Thanks again to all who take time to consider/answer.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:02 pm
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

Without hesitation: Santa Barbara

It's one of the few non tropical places i've visited where i've said to myself: I could live here.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AntMcG
Thanks Englishman43.

Yes - we also thought that SB was a better bet for the number of businesses (also being closer to LA). However, it does indeed seem more cliquey compared to SLO more natural and 'friendly'.

Also, we're considering house prices (as we'll be buying). It looks like you can get a house in, say Arroyo Grande, for about half the price of SB - and with a lot more character.

If there's enough business in and around the 5 cities (+ add in Santa Maria etc), we're leaning towards that area. The only issue is that the major employees are the University, the Jail and the farming industry (not our target markets!).

Any thoughts on the level of other Business in SLO county would be really helpful. Thanks again to all who take time to consider/answer.

House prices in SB are outrageous, outrageous !

I can't really comment on level of biz in SLO county but I'm sure you can find some info on the local Chamber of Commerce site ?

I was thinking SB for the same reason - closer to LA, of course I'd also advise against getting in to any scenario that requires you to commute regularly there & back ! The 101 gets VERY busy at commuter time and VERY, VERY busy in summer.

The central coast is beautiful, I'd move there in a heart beat, I'm sure you'll love it !